Visa Exempt to Retirement Extension - Process and Cost

A friend asked what he had to do to move from his visa exempt entry to a 12 month extension of stay, based on retirement

I appreciate that he will need to first get a Non-Imm 'O' visa for 90 days and then apply for the 12 month extension once his funds have seasoned.

What does he need to support the initial visa application and what would the cost be if done at a local Immigration office.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A non O cost is 2000 baht.

Would require 800k in a Thai bank account in his name only on day of application.

Needs to show funds came from overseas.

Require some basic photocopies of PP. 

Also a TM30 or rental agreement.

Requires minimum 15 days remaining on current permission of stay.

21 days at eg CM.

Which immigration office will he use. 

Thank you.

Most likely Buriram.

12 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This may be illegal.

It is totally legal and done by Thai immigration using TM87 or TM88 forms (depending on if on visa exempt or other visa entry) for a cost of 2,000 baht in process to obtain retirement extensions of stay from a non immigrant O visa entry/permitted to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This may be illegal.

Best not to guess, it makes you look silly. Its totally legal. Visa exempt to Non O is 2k baht and then extension of stay 1,900 baht. Of course meeting the financial/time obligations required for this process.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OJAS entry.

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

I don't see any mention of medical insurance.  Is this still mandentory for retirement extension?

In two weeks I will be arriving in Suvanabumi with my Thai wife and will apply fo 30 day visa waive.  My return ticket is for 126 days from entry so, obviously, I will need to get a visa change or extension from my local immigration office in Chiang Rai. 

In order to avoid very costly and time consuming air border hops, I feel that the best way would possibly be to apply for a marriage extension.   We have a home in Chiang Rai and I have more than enough money in my Thai bank account. At 84 years, I am too old to get medical insurance.

I'm aware of the complicated process of a marriage extension, but if anyone can give a more viable way for me to be able to stay in Thailand for just over four months, I will be highly apppreciative.

16 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

I don't see any mention of medical insurance.  Is this still mandentory for retirement extension?

It has never been required for retirement from a non immigrant O visa entry.  Only if you are pre-approved for one year stay getting a non immigrant O-A visa, or the new long term visas is that required.

Are you saying you only want to stay a total of 4 months or only 4 months this trip?

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It has never been required for retirement from a non immigrant O visa entry.  Only if you are pre-approved for one year stay getting a non immigrant O-A visa, or the new long term visas is that required.

Are you saying you only want to stay a total of 4 months or only 4 months this trip?

Thanks for your reply.

We live in UK, but as I said, we have a home in Chiang Rai where we usually visit for one month two or three times a year.  However, on this occassion, for family reasons, we want to stay for just over four months.  Hence my dilema of finding the best way to extend my 30 days visa waive.  I was under the impression that health insurance was mandetory for retirement extension but not for marriage extension.  If not required, I will probably go for retirement as I already have Bht 800k funds available in Thailand.

28 minutes ago, My Paradice Lost said:

Thanks for your reply.

We live in UK, but as I said, we have a home in Chiang Rai where we usually visit for one month two or three times a year.  However, on this occassion, for family reasons, we want to stay for just over four months.  Hence my dilema of finding the best way to extend my 30 days visa waive.  I was under the impression that health insurance was mandetory for retirement extension but not for marriage extension.  If not required, I will probably go for retirement as I already have Bht 800k funds available in Thailand.

You would need to visit immigration soon after arrival - request to change to non immigrant O visa entry using proof of that 800k in bank account (needs to be foreign source) and during the 90 days that visa allows extend for one year for retirement (2 steps - 2,000 and 1,900 baht fees).  You would also want to obtain re-entry permit to allow return to UK and return here when you want during the one year extension.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You would need to visit immigration soon after arrival - request to change to non immigrant O visa entry using proof of that 800k in bank account (needs to be foreign source) and during the 90 days that visa allows extend for one year for retirement (2 steps - 2,000 and 1,900 baht fees).  You would also want to obtain re-entry permit to allow return to UK and return here when you want during the one year extension.

Thank you very much Lopburi.  I think I most probably go that course.

10 hours ago, jimn said:

Best not to guess, it makes you look silly. Its totally legal. Visa exempt to Non O is 2k baht and then extension of stay 1,900 baht. Of course meeting the financial/time obligations required for this process.

I believe he referring to using an agent to circumvent not having the money in the bank requirement which is not actually legal but done regularly and can cause issues later if you choose to go away from using an agent for future extensions. There are agents that handle the process and are paid to basically hold your hand and process your paperwork for you. using your money in the bank 

The simplest solution, rather than a visa exempt entry, would be to have a Non O visa (applied for through the e-visa system) prior to your arrival. That gives you an initial 90-day permission to stay which can easily be extended for a further 60 days at the Immigration office with minimal bureaucracy. With the visa exemption, you could theoretically apply for a 30-day extension, followed by a 60-day extension to visit your Thai wife, but that only gives you 120 days (119 nights). A border bounce by land or air would still be required.

Applying for a visa at Immigration to change from a visa exempt entry to a Non Immigrant entry should be possible, most easily for retirement rather than Thai spouse. However, it is taken under consideration with a report back date later to confirm the fresh 90-day permission to stay it provides. You would still need the 60-day extension later to get over the desired 126 days.

One further caution, if you stay some distance from the Chiang Rai immigration office: that office has been known to refuse to accept applications for visas to convert from a visa exempt entry when you live a long way from the immigration office.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am on OA Retirement in Thailand.

Can I leave Thailand while my OA is still current and not get a re entry permit and return to on a 30 day entry?

Then apply at immigration for a Non O based on retirement

Also can this be done doing a land border crossing or would I need to fly back into Thailand.

I ask about the land border crossing because I live close Chong Chom. 

Which would mean just going over the border into Cambodia and returning to Thailand

Before leaving Thailand If I was to get a letter from the New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok confirming my yearly income.

Would the Embassy letter be acceptable to Thai Immigration in place of 800,000 baht deposited in my Thai bank account?

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, BritTim said:

The simplest solution, rather than a visa exempt entry, would be to have a Non O visa (applied for through the e-visa system) prior to your arrival. That gives you an initial 90-day permission to stay which can easily be extended for a further 60 days at the Immigration office with minimal bureaucracy. With the visa exemption, you could theoretically apply for a 30-day extension, followed by a 60-day extension to visit your Thai wife, but that only gives you 120 days (119 nights). A border bounce by land or air would still be required.

Applying for a visa at Immigration to change from a visa exempt entry to a Non Immigrant entry should be possible, most easily for retirement rather than Thai spouse. However, it is taken under consideration with a report back date later to confirm the fresh 90-day permission to stay it provides. You would still need the 60-day extension later to get over the desired 126 days.

One further caution, if you stay some distance from the Chiang Rai immigration office: that office has been known to refuse to accept applications for visas to convert from a visa exempt entry when you live a long way from the immigration office.

Brit Tim, Does the 'Non O visa (applied for through the e-visa system)' require medical insurance and can this be used to apply for obtaining a 1 year retirement extension?

1 hour ago, Freddy2060 said:

Brit Tim, Does the 'Non O visa (applied for through the e-visa system)' require medical insurance and can this be used to apply for obtaining a 1 year retirement extension?

Does not require medical ins and yes can apply for 12 month extension 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Freddy2060 said:

Does the 12-month extension and subsequent extensions require medical insurance?

No insurance is required for annual extensions to a non O based on retirement.

Insurance is required for extensions from a non O-A based on retirement 

• Like 1

Last week I was told by Chiang Mai immigration 15 working days prior to expiry of current visa.  

• Haha 1