Unusual hotel check in

Mika78

I am on my way to Chiang Mai and stop to a cheap hotel (260 THB) for few hours before drive again. The receptionist ask for my passport but did not check the visa or make a copy, as well she doesn't care about TM 30 and again no copy. Just a photo with her phone with my personal data. It's normal doing that, taking a photo and no copies? What's the purpose of taking a photo of my personal data only? Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

She can type into computer. Same as a photocopy. You can even print from phones.

What is the purpose of your post?

1) She has no pc or laptop

2) As I wrote, unusual check in as it's first time someone no look at the visa and or TM30 and I always get a copy with a printer, never by phone photo.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

A hotel has never checked my visa in 20 years. They only copy the ID.

That's correct. Happened to me as well, but at least they copy the TM 30, but never using photos by phone.

It's not a big drama: it's just the first time I saw this.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, bignok said:

You can hand a photocopy of passport to hotel. They never check visas. Not their job.

You would imagine that checking the validity of a visa is not the job of Thai banks but they do it. And guess what, no visa, no service! So its not impossible to think that hotels could do similar.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I rarely go with the wife to check into hotel, as I'm parking the car, and wait with the dog till she's done.  I give her my pink ID, so she has something to give them, IF, they ask, which is rare.

With pink ID, they can't do TM30, as doesn't have the proper info, or so I was told.  This an old habit from when you had to do a TM30 when returning home, so avoided the need for that, by not using PP.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with chain, Ibis being a favorite of ours due to pet friendly.  Smaller, non chain hotels couldn't be bothered, as one less thing for them to do.

• Like 2

Just now, mfd101 said:

If you have a Thai d/l, you could always use that.

You are right. But here my question was about that i never saw someone take my infos using a photo with the phone. I suppose that if I had given her my TDL, she still would have used a cell phone photo

Just now, Mika78 said:

You are right. But here my question was about that i never saw someone take my infos using a photo with the phone. I suppose that if I had given her my TDL, she still would have used a cell phone photo

Maybe they dont own a photocopier or it was broken

1) seems that I visited the only hotel in Thailand that very carefully checks for visa/extension and properly registers guest with immigration.

2) my motorcycle rent always does a picture of my passport. Why the fuss with paper copy?

3) hotel will be interested in your ID in case you do the runner without paying or devastating the room.

Only exception are those shorttime rents 😙

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 hours ago, bignok said:

A hotel has never checked my visa in 20 years. They only copy the ID.

You're betraying your ignorance again bigstooge. I've checked in to many hotels and watched them take a copy of the visa page as well as the photo so they can enter all that info into the online TM30 system.

Bully for you that you've never encountered it but your experience is not universal and you just sound silly with your dogmatic assertions to the contrary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1