Unusual hotel check in

Mika78

On 11/11/2023 at 10:16 PM, Mika78 said:

What's the purpose of taking a photo of my personal data only? Thank you.

Hotels can have two reasons in respect of foreigners checking in, security and immigration.

If the hotel is going to report the visit to immigration they need to take a copy of the permission to stay stamp. If they are only concerned about hotel security they will accept passport/pink card/driving licence.

My wife always does the bookings and most of the time I am not asked for anything.

Some years ago immigration had a purge on hotels and those that had previously been ok with pink card or DL suddenly insisted on the passport. Didn't last all that long.

Why do they ask such stupid questions? You talk about a cheap hotel: that was a pig farm for 6 euros, and you expect them to have a photocopier? Why are the majority of European foreigners so uneducated and rude? What village do they come from?

• Sad 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:59 AM, Lemsta69 said:

You're betraying your ignorance again bigstooge. I've checked in to many hotels and watched them take a copy of the visa page as well as the photo so they can enter all that info into the online TM30 system.

Bully for you that you've never encountered it but your experience is not universal and you just sound silly with your dogmatic assertions to the contrary.

You have no need for a copy of the visa or permission to stay to obtain a TM30 .

19 hours ago, Vibora99 said:

Why do they ask such stupid questions? You talk about a cheap hotel: that was a pig farm for 6 euros, and you expect them to have a photocopier? Why are the majority of European foreigners so uneducated and rude? What village do they come from?

1) Why you lose your precious time to comment my stupid question? 2) There is a 240 thb guesthouse in Chaiyaphum with photocopier and pc. 3) Are you part of this majority? 4) Maybe the same village you come from.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bignok said:

Maybe you don't know much. I just use passport copy. Or gf uses Thai ID.

As others have said many dont care.

It doesn't matter what others say. Your words

"You can hand a photocopy of passport to hotel. They never check visas. Not their job."

Immigration can make it their job any time they want under the TM30 regulations.

I have stayed in Thai hotels more than most and over the last 25 years hate to remember the number of times been challenged on visa status. Mainly by ignorant hotel staff that cannot tell the difference between one stamp and another.

The introduction of the pink card made life a bit easier but immigration put a stop to that for a while.

I wouldn't disagree that the climate at the moment is probably better than it has ever been. Maybe a result of covid, once the vaccine certificate was out of the way reception staff would rather ignore you than talk to you.

A hotel would not copy a prior TM30, no reason to, they need to make their own TM30.

Which reception can do, using smart phone if need be, just from the passport info that they photographed.

I have never, in over 30 years here and countless hotel stays at every rung of the ladder, had a hotel check my visa.  Normally they just copy the face page of the passport, which is all they need to file the TM30 online.

In small up-county Thai places which seldom have any foreigners, sometimes they do not bother with this either.

• Like 1

Mika.  I have stayed in a few hotels in Bangkok, Chaing Mai,  and Hua Hin.  They only ask for the Passport.  And enter the information in their computer system.  
Using the phone could be anyone’s guess.  It is a very inexpensive rate.  I’m speculating it was a small hotel.  And they don’t have a sophisticated computer system.  And possibly don’t care about TM 30.  But it’s only a guess. 
Maybe you are somewhat concerned the staff used their own phone to document your information.  I would be too.  And personally I would not let someone do that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

So why does the official TM.30 form ask for all that stuff?

I give the house owner copies of foreigners front page passport details. 

House owner either uses the online facility or will go into immigration and pick manually.

That is happening many times each month.

On 11/11/2023 at 10:46 PM, bignok said:

A hotel has never checked my visa in 20 years. They only copy the ID.

I have had hotels check for the entry/exit stamps.

I have had hotels that don't bother to look at the passport.

I think between your experience and mine, that about covers the Thailand hotels and farang passports debate, no?

WRT the OP, maybe the hotel manager or owner is the only one inputting passport info to the immigration database. If they're not around, the receptionist may be only permitted to 'collect' the info via the photo and share that with the manager or owner. Quicker than filling in a card and all that old-fashioned nonsense.

1 hour ago, itsari said:

I give the house owner copies of foreigners front page passport details. 

House owner either uses the online facility or will go into immigration and pick manually.

That is happening many times each month.

Have a look at the Excel upload form for the TM30 online system, at least the old one as I CBF trying to find a copy of the new one.

It has fields for type of visa and arrival date, hence why some hotels copy both your passport data page AND your visa/entry info.

18 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Have a look at the Excel upload form for the TM30 online system, at least the old one as I CBF trying to find a copy of the new one.

It has fields for type of visa and arrival date, hence why some hotels copy both your passport data page AND your visa/entry info.

I have seen the same , yet after many years of obtaining TM30 registrations I can say that all is needed is the first page information on the foreigners passport .
The last TM 30 for a guest was applied for was the 25th of october . All went as usual with just the front page information of two foreigners .
That has been the procedure for many years .

We need to apply for a TM30 on the 24th of November fora new guest and the same procedure will be applied. If not succesful I will notify you .