Advice needed for 1 week in Chiang Mai

NHBOB

Hi all,

I'm planning on spending a week in Chaing Mai to get a feel for the place to see if I could retire there.  I'm looking at lodging options now, but I'm wondering if I should stay in on central hotel or move around the greater Chiang Mai area a bit and spend a day or 2 here and there?  Transportation might be an issue too, I have ZERO motorcyle experience and have no intention of learning how to drive one in Thailand.  I'm an experienced cyclist and might rent a mt. bike.  Or I'm even thinking of renting a car, I think I could handle driving on the opposite side of the road (at least outside of the city center--from Ytube videos parking looks like a pain in the a**)  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NHBOB said:

to get a feel for the place to see if I could retire there. 

This is a big ask?

Why Chiang Mai?

What do you want to do in retirement?

-Golf

-Model railway

-RC Aircraft

-Skydiving

-Obviously?

not riding a motorcycle

Chiang Mai is just another big Thai city.  

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

A week is not enough

What he said?  A week is not enough to make a decision about the rest of your life.

Himku Hotel is pleasant. In the old part of town, you can walk to places for B/fast/lunch/dinner and for a few beers near the boxing stadium.

Moving around and spending two days here and there is an excellent idea.

If you've never driven on the left and never driven in Thailand, don't start to learn now or you'll end up in hospital!

The old town is nice to visit but few retirees live there, everyone else lives out of the city center. What is your accommodation budget (when retired) because that will help better understand your choices?

Also, as others have said, you're coming here during the best season of the year, the air is clean, the temperatures are not hot, a visit for one week only is going to give you a very distorted view.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Like 1

Bicycling is the best way to get around.  I use my bike far more than my motorcycle, going everywhere from Mae Tang to Lamphun, Doi Saket to Hang Dong, and all over the city.  Traveling the highways can be somewhat more dangerous, but just stay to the left and you should be OK.  That said, always expect the unexpected; this isn't Kansas. There are lots of quieter local roads if you get out of town.  In town, be alert and aware of the uneven road surfaces, especially in the old part of town with all the road construction going on.

This company provides bicycle tours; I don't know if they rent bikes by the day.  If not, perhaps they can suggest another shop for you. 

https://mountainbikethailand.com/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Bicycling is the best way to get around.  I use my bike far more than my motorcycle, going everywhere from Mae Tang to Lamphun, Doi Saket to Hang Dong, and all over the city.  Traveling the highways can be somewhat more dangerous, but just stay to the left and you should be OK.  That said, always expect the unexpected; this isn't Kansas. There are lots of quieter local roads if you get out of town.  In town, be alert and aware of the uneven road surfaces, especially in the old part of town with all the road construction going on.

This company provides bicycle tours; I don't know if they rent bikes by the day.  If not, perhaps they can suggest another shop for you. 

https://mountainbikethailand.com/

I am from the greater Boston area.  Riding with traffic is not new to me.  Although I understand it's a good idea to avoid the smaller sois because of the half-feral dogs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NHBOB said:

I am from the greater Boston area.  Riding with traffic is not new to me.  Although I understand it's a good idea to avoid the smaller sois because of the half-feral dogs.

The soi dog problem has been much improved for decades. An esteemed poster here, StickyRiceBalls, has posted a lot about biking around CM (Me? No way).

• Agree 1

A week is not enough... Try to come for a month... Stay in a place like this...

https://air.tl/oqQ3c2Rf

This is in Santhium area which is centrally located yet a Thai area with few short term tourists... There is a great local market with a typical Thai foodcourt... This would give you a great flavor for the real city and a month give you a chance to explore the city... Join a FB group that lists rentals and form a relationship with an agent who will drive you around to the different areas to view places to live... 

CM is too big to figure out in that time frame. I would stay for a couple days in each major area of the city, starting from most dense to most rural and see where you're comfortable. 100% you need to get on your bike or have a vehicle otherwise you'll see very little.

Remember some places will make it impossible for good cycling because you'll be trapped in urban sprawl and the good roads will be unreachable. Much of CM is like that actually so you need to be extremely careful where you live if you're a cyclist. If cycling is your majority priority in retirement I would now considering avoiding CM because the major roads bisect everything and make it difficult to travel far outside your area comfortably.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

This is a big ask?

Why Chiang Mai?

What do you want to do in retirement?

-Golf

-Model railway

-RC Aircraft

-Skydiving

-Obviously?

not riding a motorcycle

Chiang Mai is just another big Thai city.  

What he said?  A week is not enough to make a decision about the rest of your life.

Himku Hotel is pleasant. In the old part of town, you can walk to places for B/fast/lunch/dinner and for a few beers near the boxing stadium.

CM old city. Nothing like it elsewhere.

Dont move every 2 nights. Stupid waste of time. Pick a central hotel then move around. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Really? Have always found it has more character and class than most any other Thai city of comparable size--the mountain, the moat, the malls, the green spaces, northern architecture, leafy old town lanes, stunning temples, great cafes, close airport. Most other Thai cities are incredibly bland in comparison.

I wouldn't stress too much, just find an area and try it out then come back for a few months. If it doesn't work out, move on. You likely won't scratch the surface going here and there. 

This area around Sakorn Residence is nice and within walking/riding distance of town:

135804729.jpg.7ffbf041bf5a6bdad0d916c3e1cca056.jpg

Screenshot2023-11-12at08_30_57.png.229fadae91c53beee4661530d33aeb32.png

I like the central to northern parts of old city

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

If you've never driven on the left and never driven in Thailand, don't start to learn now or you'll end up in hospital!

Strange comment.

Probably. over the years, millions of Europeans, Americans etc have managed the transition without ending up in hospital.

The biggest danger for those citizens used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road is crossing the roads on foot.

They look left, right, left.

Here they need to look right, left, right.

Almost every time that I am out riding, I see them about to step out in front of me. 'Beep. Beep!'

Question for the OP - how is your health?

I live on Koh Samui (clean air) as I have COPD. Had breathing issues since I was a kid.

I visit Chiang Mai every year for 3 - 4 days as I love walking, and the old city is dead flat. (I struggle to breath walking up hills.) I just spend all day wandering around the old city and the nearby suburbs. Great time.

But I could not live in the Old City all year round. I love my peace and quiet back home on the island.

Also, Chiang Mai is a no-no for me long term due to the pollution during the burning season.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Really? Have always found it has more character and class than most any other Thai city of comparable size--the mountain, the moat, the malls, the green spaces, northern architecture, leafy old town lanes, stunning temples, great cafes, close airport. Most other Thai cities are incredibly bland in comparison.

I wouldn't stress too much, just find an area and try it out then come back for a few months. If it doesn't work out, move on. You likely won't scratch the surface going here and there. 

This area around Sakorn Residence is nice and within walking/riding distance of town:

135804729.jpg.7ffbf041bf5a6bdad0d916c3e1cca056.jpg

Screenshot2023-11-12at08_30_57.png.229fadae91c53beee4661530d33aeb32.png

Stayed there. Nice place.

1 hour ago, NHBOB said:

Dogs no issue. Bad motorbike riders are the issue.

• Confused 1