Advice needed for 1 week in Chiang Mai

NHBOB

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

maya mall

The least useful mall in CM, not even a Robertson's Department Store.

Excuse me, it's the Maya Lifestyle Mall, which is only good if your lifestyle involves browsing dozens and dozens of opportunities to buy a new plastic iPhone case. Or if you need a lot of aroma therapy options.

Some nice condos behind it tho. A lot of Chinese people rent there. Mae Sai Khao Soi is there too, and is usually the food highlight for our visiting guests.

Across the road is a slightly baffling Japanese theme park entertainment development. Lot's of food trucks etc. Not bad, but I went twice, love Japanese food, and left without eating. You can't throw a rock in Nimman without hitting a good value Japanese or Korean restaurant.

A lot of Bangkok Thai people pack into Nimman on the weekends and they love that little Epcot-like Japanese experience. People should def visit Nimman on a Saturday night in tourist season to see if they like it. It's like Bourbon Street, New Orleans (we love it).

1 minute ago, Prubangboy said:

The least useful mall in CM, not even a Robertson's Department Store.

Excuse me, it's the Maya Lifestyle Mall, which is only good if your lifestyle involves browsing dozens and dozens of opportunities to buy a new plastic iPhone case. Or if you need a lot of aroma therapy options.

Some nice condos behind it tho. A lot of Chinese people rent there. Mae Sai Khao Soi is there too, and is usually the food highlight for our visiting guests.

Across the road is a slightly baffling Japanese theme park entertainment development. Lot's of food trucks etc. Not bad, but I went twice, love Japanese food, and left without eating. You can't throw a rock in Nimman without hitting a good value Japanese or Korean restaurant.

A lot of Bangkok Thai people pack into Nimman on the weekends and they love that little Epcot-like Japanese experience. People should def visit Nimman on a Saturday night in tourist season to see if they like it. It's like Bourbon Street, New Orleans (we love it).

The sky bar provides great views of the city. Its right near Nimman. Walk from Maya to Old City via Nimman gives a good idea of city.

The Airport mall has the best food court.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Walk from Maya to Old City via Nimman gives a good idea of city.

Not that nice a walk along a heavy traffic road. Not that compelling an area to live in. Def do that walk before 10 AM before the heat cancels it.

Cab is 80 baht to the old city (tho often, 150 baht coming back, 120 baht if you're on border by the moat).

There's cycling groups in Chiang Mai, Thai and foreign, I don't have Facebook but I'm sure you'll find them, around 5pm just before the zoo on the Doi Suthep Rd, many cyclist meet to ride up to the temple.

Edited by roo860

The OP would probably be most comfortable in the Old City, a lot of accommodation and bikes there. Personally, I prefer my scooter because bicycles can't accelerate out of the way of trouble.

I lived in Chiang Mai for 10 years, then moved to Chiang Rai. More laid-back, accommodation is less expensive, renting or buying.

Chiang Mai really only has three attractions outside the city. Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, San Kamphaeng Hot Springs - that's about it. I think there's white water rafting somewhere north of Mae Rim.

In contrast, Chiang Rai is the jumping off point for everything in the Golden Triangle and beyond. It's also cooler than Chiang Mai, air pollution levels are the same in the burning season.

depends on how far you can walk. how old are you to retire?

i lived in the haiya area just off chiang mai gate in the silverware district. loved it. quiet but walking distance to moat and old city. baht bus also runs around there.

another good area is up by the ping river close to the old city, all along it pretty much up and down.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP would probably be most comfortable in the Old City, a lot of accommodation and bikes there. Personally, I prefer my scooter because bicycles can't accelerate out of the way of trouble.

I lived in Chiang Mai for 10 years, then moved to Chiang Rai. More laid-back, accommodation is less expensive, renting or buying.

Chiang Mai really only has three attractions outside the city. Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon, San Kamphaeng Hot Springs - that's about it. I think there's white water rafting somewhere north of Mae Rim.

In contrast, Chiang Rai is the jumping off point for everything in the Golden Triangle and beyond. It's also cooler than Chiang Mai, air pollution levels are the same in the burning season.

CM has far more good restaurants and bars. Found guesthouses the same price level but CM far more choice.

The Golden Triangle is overrated.

The best caves are at soppong. Not near either city.

CM airport is a proper airport. CR only flies to Bangkok I think.

CM has a train station as well.

CM worse traffic.

I was bored with CR after 4 days. CM has enough touristy stuff to fill 2 weeks.

Edited by bignok

That little Nimman grid of streets that you keep referencing is indeed a uniquely walkable, low-traffic area in CM. I live within hopping distance of Charin Pie on your map (where they will put your pic onto your latte foam).

But once you leave it, you're abutted by high traffic streets. I was on the Maya Mall side of Nimman Road, it was much less attractive for a pedestrian. I paid off a lease to move to the good side.

Medium traffic is what makes the Old City so great (and so hard to rent in).

The area between Tapie Road And Loy Koh Road is another uniquely walkable area of Chiang Mai where you have that mix of quietude and access to good restaurants. 'Can't think of a third of any size that's centrally located (Night Market?).

This is the typical layout of a developing nation's historic towns: they have a traffic-calmed downtown, an expat area adjacent to it, and then the mall out on the main road leading in. I had this problem living in Mexico City; it was leafy and quaint for 6 blocks and then I had to cross eight lanes of traffic.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

That little Nimman grid of streets that you keep referencing is indeed a uniquely walkable, low-traffic area in CM. I live within hopping distance of Charin Pie on your map (where they will put your pic onto you latte foam).

But once you leave it, you're abutted by high traffic streets. I was on the Maya Mall side of Nimman Road, it was much less attractive for a pedestrian. I paid off a lease to move to the good side. Medium traffic is what makes the Old City so great (and so hard to rent in).

The area between Tapie Road And Loy Koh Road is another uniquely walkable area of Chiang Mai where you have that mix of quietude and access to good restaurants. 'Can't think of a third of any size that's centrally located (Night Market?).

This is the typical layout of a developing nation's historic towns: they have a traffic-calmed downtown, an expat area adjacent to it, and then the mall out on the main road leading in. I had this problem living in Mexico City; it was leafy and quaint for 6 blocks and then I had to cross eight lanes of traffic.

I stayed at Lotus Pang. Heading towards Nimman is mostly quiet sois with cafes. Nimman itself is a gridlock.

I walked the entire Old city. Its the best. The walk over past China town over the river is ok to.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you were bored with Chiang Rai after 4 days, you simply did not get out enough.

Show me a condo in Chiang Mai with a swimming pool that I can rent for 7000 baht/month.

Talking out of your rear, as usual.

do you really care about an extra 7k baht a month for a much better condo? that's only about $200!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

If you were bored with Chiang Rai after 4 days, you simply did not get out enough.

True. I find downtown CR a fair bit less attractive than CM, but a mile out, it's the dead-same for a third off. 

Just like CM gets the more educated and adventurous tourists than Phuket, CR is a yet further filter still. You have to really love the North as a repeat visitor or have a lot of travel time to put CR on your list.

To live there, you're probably a CM transplant. Moving directly to CR is prob less likely than hopping off of the plane and heading straight to Ubon.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Show me a condo in Chiang Mai with a swimming pool that I can rent for 7000 baht/month.

Talking out of your rear, as usual.

More abuse from you. Learnt nothing from the toxic topic I see. Still arrogant.

I saw 8,000 baht a month guesthouse with pool in old city.

I've been to CR twice. Its pretty sleepy. Its got a few good temples but CM has heaps. The scenary north of CR is good.

Went to a few restaurants in CR but they couldnt match CM.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

do you really care about an extra 7k baht a month for a much better condo? that's only about $200!

I don't like wasting money unnecessarily, the condo I have in CR suits me perfectly.