The Observer view on Suella Braverman: a home secretary who undermines the police has no place in government

CharlieH

14 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Not really, would you class a MP for the Labour Party who is on record as saying that the children that have been sexually groomed should keep their mouths shut in the interest of diversity, yet you or your buddy have the audacity to bring the innocuous Liz Truss into the discussion. You are not smart, you just think you are! And that is my last reply to a stalker! 

The difference is that Member of the Labour Party was never voted into the office of PM by members of the Labour Party.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No, that makes it foolish to compare a backbencher's popularity with and support by members of their party to that of a person who actually  became a Prime Minister.

Keep ignoring the important aspects of life, child grooming doesn't matter does it. My last post to you as I feel you are not in touch with reality! 

• Confused 2

Just now, Wobblybob said:

Keep ignoring the important aspects of life, child grooming doesn't matter does it. My last post to you as I feel you are not in touch with reality! 

You compared that MP to Truss. One is a backbencher, the other held a series of important posts before becoming PM. The success of Truss tells us a lot more about the sorry state of the Tories than do the vile comments of a solitary back bencher.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Antisemitism is just BS. Just like anti American and Russophobia. It’s overused to the point of being meaningless. They literally have people monitoring the news for anything that is remotely critical and then label it antisemitism 🤢🤮

Who is "They"? in " They literally have people monitoring the news for anything that is remotely critical and then label it antisemitism 🤢🤮"

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Who is "They"? in " They literally have people monitoring the news for anything that is remotely critical and then label it antisemitism 🤢🤮"

Do you expect me to name every agency, covert or otherwise? Run a Google search and you’ll find a wealth of sources there alone. A huge amount of resources devoted to searching for anything that might be perceived as ‘antisemitism’. No opinion expressed that won’t be labelled as such… and then the ‘campaign’ begins. 

On 11/13/2023 at 10:00 AM, RayC said:

Absolute nonsense.

As the article suggests, Braverman is doing the exact opposite of what a good, decent Home Secretary should do. Instead of supporting the police, she instead undermines them at every opportunity. 

Would you prefer the EDF vigilantes to be policing the streets of the UK?

An alternative point of view is that for the last month(s) the Metropolitan Police, or more particularly it's Commissioner have been doing everything that they can to undermine the Home Secretary...

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

An alternative point of view is that for the last month(s) the Metropolitan Police, or more particularly it's Commissioner have been doing everything that they can to undermine the Home Secretary...

By refusing to deny people the right to peacefully protest.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, norfolkandchance said:

She'll be back.

I thought there was a fair chance if it prior to her lie infested whinge letter.

All she had to do was quietly and respectfully retreat to the back benches, await the defeat of the Tories at the General Election then claim the Tories would have won if she, not Sunak were in charge.

What she chose to do is die disunity which will undoubtedly play a part in the General Election result.

She can’t now claim to have had no hand in it.

She’s demonstrated she’s simply not fit for office.

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I thought there was a fair chance if it prior to her lie infested whinge letter.

All she had to do was quietly and respectfully retreat to the back benches, await the defeat of the Tories at the General Election then claim the Tories would have won if she, not Sunak were in charge.

What she chose to do is die disunity which will undoubtedly play a part in the General Election result.

She can’t now claim to have had no hand in it.

She’s demonstrated she’s simply not fit for office.

Glad you got that off your chest. The Tories will lose the next General election with many Tory voters changing sides to the Reform UK. Then there will be left wing Labour Party who will quickly show their true colours.

As for Braverman.. I still stand by my last post..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

She'll be back.

Braverman will not be leader of the Conservative party either before or after the election.

She does not have the required numbers of either MPs or members to get elected leader.

However there is sufficient support to start a leadership battle/no confidence.

If a leadership contest is initiated prior to the GE , the majority ofMPs/ members will see Braverman as  divisive and will not support.

If the Conservatives win the GE with Sunak as PM , he will be seen as a winner and cement his authority .

If Cons lose the GE , this will be seen as a rejection of the incumbent regime , of which Braverman is part. Thus the party and the members will look for a fresh direction and face.

7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Braverman will not be leader of the Conservative party either before or after the election.

She does not have the required numbers of either MPs or members to get elected leader.

However there is sufficient support to start a leadership battle/no confidence.

If a leadership contest is initiated prior to the GE , the majority ofMPs/ members will see Braverman as  divisive and will not support.

If the Conservatives win the GE with Sunak as PM , he will be seen as a winner and cement his authority .

If Cons lose the GE , this will be seen as a rejection of the incumbent regime , of which Braverman is part. Thus the party and the members will look for a fresh direction and face.

Firstly, I did not suggest she would be the leader of the Conservative Party. I merely said 'she'll be back. As for conjecture I'll await the outcome of events.