90 Day Reporting Grace Period ?

Four or five reports back I was two days past the due date when I went in person to my local IO to get it done. (Deliberate decision by me since it lined up a couple of other things I had to get done in the city so only one trip.) The officer berated me for being late and stressed she was doing me a great favour by not fining me. I quietly but firmly told her she was talking nonsense and (perhaps foolishly) challenged her to make a bigger issue about it. She didn't. Never saw her again...she had been in that IO from my first visit in mid-2018. Was the same person that misled my wife on documentation requirements on the phone as we were preparing to do in and seek the first extension.

47 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Doing it online, it must be by due date.  In person, it can be done up to 14 days before to 7 days after.

Also, with the 7 days after, I am never sure about that because of the weird way the IO can count.

For example, if the due date is the 10th, 7 days after would be the 17th.

I am never totally sure about that as they may count the due date as the 1st of the 7. So I would always make sure that I report on the 16th at the latest to be on the safe side.

1 hour ago, loong said:

Also, with the 7 days after, I am never sure about that because of the weird way the IO can count.

For example, if the due date is the 10th, 7 days after would be the 17th.

I am never totally sure about that as they may count the due date as the 1st of the 7. So I would always make sure that I report on the 16th at the latest to be on the safe side.

Correct. 7 days "AFTER" is easy misunderstood.
Due date is day 1 of 7.

So from the 10th the last report in person would be due on 16th.

And Sat, Sun also counted.
Due on Monday, last day is Friday.

That was the rule over the years and I haven't noticed any change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Four or five reports back I was two days past the due date when I went in person to my local IO to get it done. (Deliberate decision by me since it lined up a couple of other things I had to get done in the city so only one trip.) The officer berated me for being late and stressed she was doing me a great favour by not fining me. I quietly but firmly told her she was talking nonsense and (perhaps foolishly) challenged her to make a bigger issue about it. She didn't. Never saw her again...she had been in that IO from my first visit in mid-2018. Was the same person that misled my wife on documentation requirements on the phone as we were preparing to do in and seek the first extension.

She was not doing you any favour. 

This from the official Immigration website.

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days

Procedure and notification

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.

5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Edited by Lite Beer

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So what happens out of interest if, you say, you are six days over, and then there is a 3 day public holiday? any how worse case scenario 'normally' it is a 2k fine. 

Immigration can be lenient, depending on the office, but you can usually expect a fine if past the seven day grace period (regardless of public holidays).

5 hours ago, timendres said:

After 7 days, they can fine you up to 5.000 baht.

It is almost universally 2,000 baht, unless you pay the "not polite enough" tax.

I see nothing in the Immigration Act that authorises an immigration official to issue a fine "up to 5,000 Baht" for the late submission of the notification of staying longer than 90 days in Thailand.

The official's authority to issue fines is covered by section 84 of that law, respectively by the "criteria for settlement or any conditions as deemed fit" prescribed by the Settlement Committee under the authority of that law.

10 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Doing it online, it must be by due date.  In person, it can be done up to 14 days before to 7 days after.

15 days up to to the expiry date, online/post etc

After the expiry date 7 days grace but only in person at the Immigration office

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

I see nothing in the Immigration Act that authorises an immigration official to issue a fine "up to 5,000 Baht" for the late submission of the notification of staying longer than 90 days in Thailand.

The official's authority to issue fines is covered by section 84 of that law, respectively by the "criteria for settlement or any conditions as deemed fit" prescribed by the Settlement Committee under the authority of that law.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying residence to immigration officer or notifying later than the set period, must notify in person and a fine of 2,000.- THB will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he/her will be fined 5,000.- THB with an additional fine not exceeding 200.- THB for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/90days-report/

9 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

She was not doing you any favour. 

This from the official Immigration website.

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days

Procedure and notification

1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.

5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Was well within that period...only 2 days past the 90 days reporting date. Says so in the first line of my comment. Perhaps full strength has slipped into the bottle.

• Haha 1

Just to clarify and it is my understanding:

If you do your 90 day on line and at the end of the 15 day your App is not approved then Immigration told me specifically there is another 7 days grace period.

If by that time there is no on line approval you can can go to immigration  in person within the 7 days  grace period and get the 90 day approval. 

By going to the immigration in that period you are doing your App in person and not on line.

Edited by zombie nights

17 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying residence to immigration officer or notifying later than the set period, must notify in person and a fine of 2,000.- THB will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he/her will be fined 5,000.- THB with an additional fine not exceeding 200.- THB for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/90days-report/

Thank you for the link to that page on the immigration website with the guidelines for the notification with TM.47. The part about "...will be fined 5,000.- THB..." does not reflect correctly the text of section 76 of the Immigration Act, but regardless, the word "arrested" is the operative word and indicates that if the foreigner is arrested and taken to court, it will be the court, not an immigration official, to decide on the fine under section 76. That is why I made the point that the authority of immigration officials to issue a fine for the late submission of the notification is limited to the authority granted to them under section 84, respectively the "criteria for settlement or any conditions as deemed fit" prescribed by the Settlement Committee under the authority of that law.