Floor model AC any good?

GypsyT

I've been looking to buy floor AC units on wheels. The one that's vented outside, single hose.

The room is small, only 25m2. I think 9000 BTU should be enough since I like hot, 26-28 C.

I found one for 6500B and 12 000 BTU for 9500B.

Also, do they help to reduce humidity? That's bothering me most.

Are they any good?

Edited by GypsyT

Just now, GypsyT said:

Also, do they help to reduce humidity? That's bothering me most.

Are they any good?

As long as you vent the water they will produce yes the will reduce the humidity, that is integral to the AC function.

you can virtually guarantee that a cheap unit will be much less good than a properly installed split unit, even a high quality one will be much more expensive in purchase and efficiency (they aren’t sold in quality here so the price difference) the lack of efficiency is due to the having to vent much more air from the room than ventilation requires so needing possibly 50% more cooling capacity than a split unit. They are also much more noisy than a good split unit.

So if you have no choice and can live with the downsides they are a viable option.

• Like 1

Bought one recently, does everything that you ask for, not much experience yet, cuz will use it during hot season, no need for it now.

Reliabilty,durability?, they give one year guarantee on the machine as a whole and 3 years for the motor, so ...

https://shopee.co.th/แอร์เคลื่อนที่aconatic-12000-btuสั่งการด้วยเสียง-ประกันศูนย์1ปี-***-i.298262188.17662451512?xptdk=a99678db-1895-4bc7-aa34-d043d679539c

12000 BTU, about 4200 Baht. Very cheap because 12000 BTU starts normally at around 7000 Baht.

Thumb rule for needed capacity is 200 BTU/square meter.

Edited by Henk Langeweg

Thank you!

I go to see more brands. PowerBuy had TCL and other unknown brand. Sales people knew nothing what it is and how it works... I learned floor models on AC forums a little.

The reason I want this is we're selling the unit where I use it. I want to take it with me.

PS. Have designed and installed two large whole house AC systems in California so I know them well. I used the best; LENNOX.

Floor models are new to me. Never seen before.

I also know "swamp coolers". Does absolutely nothing in hi humidity place like here but still in use in temples.

These portable AC units are not really much good. They cool the space well enough but they are power hungry.

I have a 6,000 BTU one and never use it.

What happens is, the air in the room is circulated through the AC in at the top then out of the bottom after passing through the cooling fins.

Well that's fine but the exhaust air which is supposed to go out the window also comes from inside the room.

So on the one hand the AC unit is cooling the air in the room and on the other hand it is exhausting some of that cooled air out through the window.

It is an unsplit unit with both the outdoor section and the indoor section in the same box.

I keep telling myself I will modify it to get the incoming air to enter from the outside but that's a project which is filed in the "I will do it tomorrow" folder.

Better to get a split system.

• Thanks 1

I don't know where you are at, but up here in the North (Chiang Mai / Lamphun) I've always have purchased our A/Cs from Siam TV.  Installation is free.  We tip the installers to cover some of their petrol costs and to get to know them for future A/C service.

I think the one instance where I'd be interested in a portable was if I was living in an apartment and knew I'd eventually move. That makes sense.
But if you own or long-term lease a home/condo?  I'd install and regular inverter.  When you factor in the electricity savings over a standard A/C you're eventually better off with the permanent unit.

"Well that's fine but the exhaust air which is supposed to go out the window also comes from inside the room.

So on the one hand the AC unit is cooling the air in the room and on the other hand it is exhausting some of that cooled air out through the window."

You got el cheapo model - no hose out from the box and window. No good.

39 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Too bad they don't sell US window units here, or I haven't seen one.

You clearly haven’t bothered to do any research, this took about 30 secondsIMG_7391.thumb.jpeg.5bf9f871a8da48a957f75cb1564412dd.jpeg

They are cheap

That is the only correct information.

works well

That is not correct, they certainty work, but well compared to split units, no.

easy to install on in a window opening.

That is rather debatable since the the skill sets for the fixture are not at all common due to the fact that nobody uses them here due to the downsides in efficiency and higher cost/lower performance 

if you want a cheap ,direct from China version, you can get one of these. 

Another 30 seconds search

IMG_7394.thumb.jpeg.e604bf397e4a1a108147b5d3dfeb9829.jpegIMG_7395.thumb.jpeg.fc1f3331f098d8c16415d36dd14df937.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

You got el cheapo model - no hose out from the box and window. No good.

I agree no hose = no good but I thought it was clear from my description that there is a hose/pipe which goes to the window.

Just in case there is still room for doubt in my explanation please have a look at the drawing attached.

Drawing A is how it is and drawing B is how it should be.

Portable air con.pdf

Edited by Muhendis