More Thai youth at risk of diabetes due to their eating habits

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

I'll eat some sugar if it (diabetes) doesn't catch up to you in time!

Slim and athletic here too (and scuba diver) but got pre-diabetic and reversed it eating very little processed food.

Being slim doesn't exclude you.

how did you get pre diabetic? usually junk food for a long time.

If you are healthy with insulin working ok eating carbs and sugar is fine, those people eating junk food for a long time have a problem 

Edited by scubascuba3

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

how did you get pre diabetic? usually junk food for a long time

Not much junk food at all.
Ate rice 2 meals a day for years and would often go get a Kit Kat (or whatever) at work lunchtime. Some ice cream here and there too. Not exercising much didn't help either.

Edit: BTW rice is processed food too and I mostly stopped eating it. Occasional Basmati is it.

Edited by BaanOz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

and while at Macro I saw Hunts tomato sauce n abd being familiar with the brand from the US I bought some 

I, too, make my own pizza. If you want to season to taste, try tomato paste, instead of tomato sauce.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Not much junk food at all.
Ate rice 2 meals a day for years and would often go get a Kit Kat (or whatever) at work lunchtime. Some ice cream here and there too. Not exercising much didn't help either.

That is surprising, were you overweight? that is an indicator, from what you say being pre diabetic would be unlikely but getting overweight can happen over many years. A kit kat and or ice cream once a week is ok, every day will probably lead to being overweight

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That is surprising, were you overweight? that is an indicator, from what you say being pre diabetic would be unlikely but getting overweight can happen over many years. A kit kat and or ice cream once a week is ok, every day will probably lead to being overweight

Not everyday but not overweight at all either.
173cm and 65-67kg forever :)

There's a really good explanation about one type of carb by Dr. Sten Ekberg on Youtube.
"Asians Were Skinny On Rice For 1000s Of Years"

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

"Overweight" is a red herring and obviously a source of misinformation here, including by yourself.

The lifestyle that puts THIN people are risk for diabetes includes:

Little or no physical activity

Eating too many carbohydrates, especially from simple sources like sugary drinks

Not managing stress

Disrupted sleep patterns and grazing/snacking late into the night

--https://www.sjchs.org/smart-living-home/fall-2019/diabetes-risk-factors

In your own case, you exercise a lot and in fact practice your own little carb-restriction by eating less food if you see you're getting overweight. Note that you do keep careful watch on that HbA1c and FBS, as well you should.

And the inevitable demonizing of 7/11 and McD's is misplaced. Thais are just richer than they used to be, and eating habits have changed as well for the worse. So they generally now just eat lot more sugary and high carb foods, in particular refined carbs, beginning in childhood. In the countryside, they have less money, so they eat less Thai junk anyway; and they get more exercise out in the sticks.

Edited by BigStar
  • Love It 1

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's carbohydrates in all their forms, too many carbs of all kinds - and everything they eat here is overloaded with carbs - for example - rice and noodles - pure carbs.

Carbs of course are just another form of sugar once they get digested. Eating rice is almost as effective as drinking liquid glucose which is the highest form of concentrated carbohydrate (read sugar) of them all. So anything high in starch (rice, potato, noodles, etc) and of course sugar itself are all carbohydrates and when combined together as they often are = this is the issue.

Add bread to the list of carbs. And Thai bread is really quite disgustingly sweet .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Not everyday but not overweight at all either.
173cm and 65-67kg forever :)

There's a really good explanation about one type of carb by Dr. Sten Ekberg on Youtube.
"Asians Were Skinny On Rice For 1000s Of Years"

type 2? you sure you haven't discovered you're type 1 or 1.5?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And the inevitable demonizing of 7/11 and McD's is misplaced. Thais are just richer than they used to be, and eating habits have changed as well for the worse. So they generally now just eat lot more sugary and high carb foods, in particular refined carbs, beginning in childhood. In the countryside, they have less money, so they eat less Thai junk anyway; and they get more exercise out in the sticks.

come on they get a lot of that processed junk food from 7 Eleven and mom and pop stores. They use to eat rice probably 3 times a day, now fill in the gaps with junk, look around 7 Eleven, most things bad fat carb combos. So Thailand will continue to get fatter until they realise

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I've got a feeling the overweight ones don't do 400km a week.....

People like to think the exercise is the difference but it's the diet, yes some overweight ones were cycling a lot every week, then drinking and eating loads. Those with bad diets put the weight on quickly when they stop cycling

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

come on they get a lot of that processed junk food from 7 Eleven and mom and pop stores

Mom and pop THAI shops, yes, much cheaper. But even cheaper: food carts. I see the kids in the neighborhood around my gym all hitting the food carts and food vendor area soon as they get home from school and coming back with sugary drinks in plastic bags. And at school they eat a lot of sugary snacks from the vendors there. Plus of course the noodles and rice. 

Soon they're carb addicted and consume far too many in the future, leading to the diabetes epidemic we see today.

Edited by BigStar

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Could contain:

You're not on point; try to think clearly even about carbs. You were implying that thin people can't be diabetic, which I addressed. Obviously, being overweight is a risk factor but, you see, not the ONLY one. You ain't all free and clear by virtue of technically normal weight. 

Edited by BigStar

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You're not on point; try to think clearly even about carbs. You were implying that thin people can't be diabetic, which I addressed. Obviously, being overweight is a risk factor but, you see, not the ONLY one. You ain't all free and clear by virtue of technically normal weight. 

i see you never mention eating fat makes it worse i.e junk is often high in fat, chocolate, ice cream, pastries are examples, you are ignoring that because you are low carb / keto, what % fat do you eat?

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

I was more interested in your athleticism, do you train extensively to maintain an athletic physique?

Because if you do then your high energy diet is going to be perfect for you

I'm with him in terms of diet, save for the sugar. No sweet tooth. (I only have sugar in the house because some visitors like it in their coffee; i have no use for it.) Plenty of carbs, not too much fat, lots of protein, and lots of exercise and weight training. 82kg on 183cm frame and a 79cm waist. Weight can be maintained and body fat minimized, but it takes effort as well as understanding one's body requirements. I need the carbs for fuel in the gym. Blood glucose is far from even pre-diabetes.

Having never been fat or even overweight, I really don't understand how it happens. Maybe with kids I understand, but why do adults---lots of expats---allow themselves to look 8 months pregnant? Do they simply not care? Weight gain is largely diet, not exercise, so "I have no time to go to the gym" is no excuse. If somebody has time to eat, they have time not to eat.

Slim, fit and agile feels good. A 100+cm waist cannot feel good. I would think the discomfort alone would encourage people to stop their bad habits. I understand the disabled might not be able to do this, but the vast majority of expat land whales I see in Thailand have no disability, though perhaps an inability to walk away from the buffet table or climb off the barstool.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Having never been fat or even overweight, I really don't understand how it happens. Maybe with kids I understand, but why do adults---lots of expats---allow themselves to look 8 months pregnant? Do they simply not care? Weight gain is largely diet, not exercise, so "I have no time to go to the gym" is no excuse. If somebody has time to eat, they have time not to eat.

They ignore the warnings daily, if I've gone up a few kg i have a think what's likely caused it, they don't monitor it properly, of course harder to resolve when very overweight

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i see you never mention eating fat makes it worse i.e junk is often high in fat, chocolate, ice cream, pastries are examples, you are ignoring that because you are low carb / keto, what % fat do you eat?

Carbs are proven as the main factor driving insulin resistance > pre-diabetes > diabetes. Sugary drinks, a mainstay of young Thais, contain no fat. As Thais (or others) become insulin resistant, they eat more, esp carbs to raise glucose levels. Then eating more of everything, owing to the hunger driven by insulin drops, obviously will contribute to weight gain; and so, even worse metabolic health. The typical characteristics of metabolic syndrome follow, the high BP, arteriosclerosis, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Edited by BigStar

8 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

No offense intended.

But from what you write, it would be interesting, and useful, to know your IQ and level of education...

Just curious, for obvious reasons....

you've got a blinkered view on it, lot's of people eat high carbs incl sugar and are fine. Works for me and them. I wouldn't want to be one of those low carbers with that high cortisol most likely

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you've got a blinkered view on it, lot's of people eat high carbs incl sugar and are fine. Works for me and them. I wouldn't want to be one of those low carbers with that high cortisol most likely

You are again falling back on Sophisms.

At least it suggests an answer to my question, which is that you did not include philosophy as part of your studies... (Which excludes college or University. Is it right?)

Edited by Andre0720
Addition

16 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Carbs are proven as the main factor driving insulin resistance > pre-diabetes > diabetes. Sugary drinks, a mainstay of young Thais, contain no fat. As Thais (or others) become insulin resistant, they eat more, esp carbs to raise glucose levels, but then eating more of everything obviously will contribute to weight gain and so even worse metabolic health. The typical characteristics of metabolic syndrome follow, the high BP, arteriosclerosis, heart disease, etc.

Misleading again. In terms of diet it's the high processed carbs and saturated fats, same as i mentioned above

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22206-insulin-resistance#symptoms-and-causes

From the link

Acquired causes of insulin resistance

Acquired causes, meaning you’re not born with the cause, of insulin resistance include:

Excess body fat: Scientists believe obesity, especially excess fat in your belly and around your organs (visceral fat), is a primary cause of insulin resistance. A waist measurement of 40 inches or more for men and people assigned male at birth and 35 inches or more for women and people assigned female at birth is linked to insulin resistance. Studies have shown that belly fat makes hormones and other substances that can contribute to long-term inflammation in your body. This inflammation may play a role in insulin resistance

Physical inactivity: Physical activity makes your body more sensitive to insulin and builds muscle that can absorb blood glucose. A lack of physical activity can have opposite effects and cause insulin resistance. In addition, a lack of physical activity and a sedentary lifestyle are associated with weight gain, which can also contribute to insulin resistance.

Diet: A diet of highly processed, high-carbohydrate foods and saturated fats has been linked to insulin resistance. Your body digests highly processed, high-carbohydrate foods very quickly, which causes your blood sugar to spike. This puts extra stress on your pancreas to produce a lot of insulin, which, over time, can lead to insulin resistance.

Certain medications: Certain medications can cause insulin resistance, including steroids, some blood pressure medications, certain HIV treatments and some psychiatric medications

23 hours ago, nausea said:

It's not the sugar per se, it's the sedentary lifestyle and the abundance; sugar just exacerbates the problem. Lots of sugar around when I was kid, it rotted our teeth, but I and my peers were pretty skinny.

Plus the crazy working hours. Who has time to exercise after working 60+ hours a week?

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

strange, must say, many people like you not pre diabetic so must be some main cause 

All I can say is you are wrong; it eventually catches up to you. Well, it did in my case late 50's, now early 60's but maybe genetic.
I have no other underlying issues that may cause it. Always been normal weight which I can't say the same for my sibling who is full on diabetic and 12 years older than me.
Father has it too but only on tablets.

Regularly eating carbs, sugar and sitting in front of a computer 8hrs+ a day at my day job and then too stuffed to bother exercise.
Thinking like you I'm thin but doing this for years and one day out of the blue a blood test shows blood sugar is high.

Then go do GTT test etc and doc says you better change your lifestyle. I now have a blood glucose monitor - I don't what to have that shyte!