Thai Government to Consider Total Ban on Carrying Guns in Public, Says Interior Minister

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Minister of Interior Anutin Charnvirakul revealed he is planning to tighten gun control laws by prohibiting everyone, including those with legal permits, from carrying a gun in public, except for authorized government officials.

Well I guess the thugs in Thailand will abide by that.

What about authorised hunting or pest control? Will that be restricted as well, as it usually involves gun possession in a public place?

They could also include a competency test for everyone, including the police, applying for or holding a firearms licence. With a bit more rigour than the vehicle driving licence procedure.

• Confused 2

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

Can't say I have ever noticed much open carrying of guns in public. The very occasional bank guard in Bangkok and, usually, one of the team which reload ATMs.

Although the Thai guy may well have been transporting the gun between home and the range, I am thinking of a past incident where road rage turned into a guy being shot in the back and murdered. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

Can't say I have ever noticed much open carrying of guns in public. The very occasional bank guard in Bangkok and, usually, one of the team which reload ATMs.

They don't mean open carrying, they refer to what people have in their vehicles and in their waste bands. Concealed gun possession is very common.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In a society, a weapon is complete nonsense. Usually, it's in the hands of pitiful individuals who have their own issues. You wouldn't want that combination on the streets, would you? So, it would be a step in the right direction if the Thai government implements this. However, you must ensure enforcement, checks, and severe penalties. And that's where I have my doubts.

• Like 1

This will not change a thing

carrying license are already hard to get for civilians, easier to hire off-duty policeman as armed guard rather than to get civilian guard to get a carry license

the license are only granted with the signature of the minister of interior, currently Mr. Anutin himself 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

What about authorised hunting or pest control? Will that be restricted as well, as it usually involves gun possession in a public place?

What authorized hunting is there in Thailand? And what pests need to be shot with a gun?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

he is planning to tighten gun control laws by prohibiting everyone, including those with legal permits, from carrying a gun in public

Since anyone without a legal permit is, by definition, prohibited from carrying a gun in public, I'm not sure how you can 'tighten' the laws to prohibit it.

It's always been illegal for a licensed gun owner to carry a gun in public, unless the person has a carry permit. Licensed gun owners going to / from a range for practice or to take part in a competition understand that gun and any ammunition need to be secured in the boot (trunk) of your car, ideally in such a way that the gun can't be easily used (ie bolt taken out of a rifle; slide off semi-auto pistol etc).

Even then, police can still make it a big problem if they feel like it. All comes down to interpretation of the Thai phrase used for 'carry' ('pok-pa').

About bloody time, now sort out the rest of the crapy gun laws, how about locked cabinets for those that feel for some strange reason they need to have a gun, and not allowed to just leave them laying around for kids to shoot them, or anybody to just pick up. And mandatory jail for those who break any gun laws not some low fine.

• Like 2

You can tighten the gun laws all you like, but the problem is supply, handguns are very easy to get here; was offered (unsolicited) one myself. Anyway, the real problem is knives, which are ubiquitous; I get the feeling guns are more of a status symbol thing.

4 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

They could also include a competency test for everyone, including the police, applying for or holding a firearms licence. With a bit more rigour than the vehicle driving licence procedure.

Can't understand why people need to go hunting. Just killing animals for the thrill of killing something. 

Humanity hasn't progressed very far.