Entertainment venues to open until 4am, but no alcohol sale to drunks

webfact

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Places like Australia do just that. A friend of mine with a very fair complexion often gets refused service there, because he goes red after a few beers, and the bar staff think he's drunk. Venues face enormous fines and suspension of their liquor licence for serving people who are intoxicated. 

It's a shame. Thailand never used to be a nanny state.

I used to joke that an Australian bar crawl was - go to first bar and have a couple of drinks, go to second bar and be refused entry because intoxicated.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

What a bunch of dimwits, so now a bar tender suppose to judge who is drunk and who's in not and be responsible for it?

i tell ya, the mind boggling ideas i read here enough to ask yourself: is there anyone there really knows what the're doing?...

Nope - they come from a different world - the planet Zarcon, I believe! :smile:

Probably developing a network of "designated drivers" would work best. This takes the responsibility off owners of entertainment establishments using devices to check sobriety or those endless police crackdowns in an attempt to stop a problem. If patrons of bars could easily call a grab driver or any other transport company to drive them home, it would create new jobs, spark "entrepreneurship" and perhaps keep the roads safer and keep the police raids on bars to a minimum. 

Of course there are a lot of holes in such a proposal, but perhaps far less than other methods of combating public intoxication and drunk driving.

Some problems that could ensue from using designated drivers are: pugnacious, criminal drivers, disputes about the fee to drive a drunken customer and a tourist too drunk to competently tell the driver where he is going.

In spite of its drawbacks,  a designated driver system may provide more hope as a solution than asking bar owners to administer sobriety tests or having the police lurking outside bars doing spot checks at 4:30 in the morning.

I understand countries in Europe have designated drivers systems in place so there would be other places Thailand could research in working out a system.

I think we owe it to bar owners to really try to keep the 4 a.m. closing in place for a long time, not only in tourist areas but throughout Thailand. As previously proposed by the government - leave it up to each province to decide on a closing time.

Remember, it was the bar owners and entertainment establishments that had to bite the bullet for almost two years due to the COVID lockdowns.

Edited by jingjai9

The Thailand Health Minister yesterday stressed that entertainment venues must not serve alcohol to customers who are already drunk, even if establishments are allowed to stay open until 4am. Partygoers have been advised to carry breathalyzers.

Please Satan take them away as they not know what they are doing.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

What a bunch of dimwits, so now a bar tender suppose to judge who is drunk and who's in not and be responsible for it?

i tell ya, the mind boggling ideas i read here enough to ask yourself: is there anyone there really knows what the're doing?...

OZ has the same stupid rules, one drunk got run over and successfully sued the Pub......... :post-4641-1156694572: 

• Sad 1

So, does this mean the gals are limited to 3 drinks? Not 20 shots per night, at 250 baht per shot? The bar owners would be very upset. How about the officials, and the elites? Fear not. The RTP will not be doing the job of law enforcement.

Just another chapter in the "Fake Purity Campaign".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

The same law applies in the UK and I'm sure in many other countries. Drunk people cannot be served, but of course that depends on the judgement of the bartender. Try arguing though and the gorillas appear to evict.

47 minutes ago, Leif Kullberg said:

Why the hell should they need to check alcohol level when leaving the venue ??
Would it not it be more effective to check before entering the premecis ??

It is to ensure the customer's safety, if you read the link. Ensuring they get a taxi instead of drive. Makes sense to me, and the staff might be thanked in the morning.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

believe it or not the UK has a law exactly like this as do most countries in the west, how it is used is a mystery 

Indeed. A publican/bartender can legally refuse to sell or continue  to sell alcohol to a person he/she believes to be intoxicated/drunk and ask that person to leave the premises, calling the police in if the person refuses or causes a disturbance. 

Gentlemen, I give you Section 29 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act BE 2551 (2008).

Paragraph 2 should be framed and put on display in every bar in Thailand. This is the Section referred to by Cholnan. He quotes Section 40, but that Section simply refers back to this Section.

Section 29. No person shall sell any alcoholic beverage to the following  
persons:  
(1) a person under twenty years of age;  
(2) a person who has lost consciousness due to being drunk

So, as long as you're still conscious, bottoms up and here's lookin at you kid. What'll it be?

https://www.google.com/search?q=section+40+of+the+alcohol+control+act+thailand&oq=section+40+of+the+alcohol+control+act+thailand&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigAdIBCTIxNTAwajBqN6gCALACAA&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by bradiston
  • Haha 1