World’s biggest iceberg moving beyond Antarctic waters

CharlieH

image.png

A23a split from the Antarctic’s Filchner Ice Shelf in 1986, but it became stuck to the ocean floor and had remained for many years in the Weddell Sea

One of the world’s largest icebergs is drifting beyond Antarctic waters, after being grounded for more than three decades, according to the British Antarctic Survey.

The iceberg, known as A23a, split from the Antarctic’s Filchner Ice Shelf in 1986. But it became stuck to the ocean floor and had remained for many years in the Weddell Sea.

Not any more. Recent satellite images reveal that the iceberg, weighing nearly a trillion metric tonnes, is now drifting quickly past the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, aided by strong winds and currents.

The iceberg is about three times the size of New York City and more than twice the size of Greater London, measuring about 4,000 sq km (1,500 square miles).

It’s rare to see an iceberg of this size on the move, said British Antarctic Survey glaciologist Oliver Marsh, so scientists will be watching its trajectory closely.

As it gains steam, the colossal iceberg will probably be launched into the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. This will funnel it toward the Southern Ocean on a path known as “iceberg alley” where others of its kind can be found bobbing in dark waters. It is not clear why it is making a run for it now.

“Over time it’s probably just thinned slightly and got that little bit of extra buoyancy that’s allowed it to lift off the ocean floor and get pushed by ocean currents,” said Marsh. A23a is also among the world’s oldest icebergs.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

48 minutes ago, neeray said:

Maybe if its travel path becomes a risk, one of the super powers will blow it apart.

Make it a luxury destination.. margarita time every afternoon, carve out your own ice.. 

It's always 5 O'Clock on the good ship A23a berg.

• Like 2

I am confused as to why they do not know the reason it is moving after getting stuck to the sea floor for almost 3 decades... What ever happened to the theory of the seas rising from the melting ice? Could that not be the reason it got unstuck after so many years?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If this iceberg hits the gulf stream and cools it, the gulf stream may even change it's course. The UK could be in serious trouble and end up with the same weather as Norway which is on the same latitude. Its only the warm gulf stream which gives the UK its relatively mild weather

• Agree 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:24 PM, thesetat said:

I am confused as to why they do not know the reason it is moving after getting stuck to the sea floor for almost 3 decades... What ever happened to the theory of the seas rising from the melting ice? Could that not be the reason it got unstuck after so many years?

That would take a great deal of melting ice shelf ( NOT sea ice ), and to my knowledge, it would require more than currently melted. If the Greenland ice cap melted that would do it though.

Depends on how much the sea level needed to rise to free it of course, as sea level rise has apparently been in millimeters so far.

• Confused 2

On 11/27/2023 at 9:52 PM, RobU said:

If this iceberg hits the gulf stream and cools it, the gulf stream may even change it's course. The UK could be in serious trouble and end up with the same weather as Norway which is on the same latitude. Its only the warm gulf stream which gives the UK its relatively mild weather

That would need the iceberg not to melt while crossing the equator.

• Confused 4

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

My post is wrong, because I misread the original details. Sorry.

I should learn to wake up fully before posting, or I make myself look stupid.

Edited by Georgealbert
My original post was wrong