Marriage Visa Extension - Does wife need to be present?

20 hours ago, WizGlitz said:

My wife is busy with work and she'd rather avoid what is a rather unpleasant trip.

Totally understandable, that said, not sure with your office, but mine is a yes, but after that to pick up the stamp which is almost always never there when it is supposed to be (have learned to call first) save me a 3 hour return trip without it. Next month swapping to a retirement extension after 7 years on the marriage extension as they are just the worst to deal with, i.e. let's just leave it at that.

My advice, call them and ask.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes you have to be present for the application.

Your wife does all the communicating with the officer, the foreign husband or wife just tags along.

After 30 days under consideration either yourself or your wife or both of you can then return and submit the passport to get the stamp.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Aftet 30 days under consideration either yourself or your wife or both of you can then return and submit the passport to get the stamp.

Our great man ubonjoe once posted that he once sent his daughter to obtain final stamp.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, WizGlitz said:

I have an appointment this week to go to Chaeng Wattana for a visa extension based on marriage. 

In the past I would always go with my wife but is that actually necessary? I browsed through a ton of threads regarding the document requirements but I don't see any stating that the spouse needs to be present.

My wife is busy with work and she'd rather avoid what is a rather unpleasant trip. Also I get ratherannoyed by the IOs who refuse to speak English with me (even though they can) and only talk to my wife who has to translate back to me. 

Easy: yes.

Wife and original marriage certificate need to be present so that the officer can take a group photo. 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, WizGlitz said:

My wife is busy with work and she'd rather avoid what is a rather unpleasant trip.

Same as me and not only that, at my IO we must take our witness/neighbor along too, who also works, so I pay her a days money for us it's about a 7hr return trip, with them tagging along to bank, Amphur, photo copy place, Lunch, then to the IO, 2hrs until they are finished, then the ferry home, a great day out NOT.  The only thing I could do before is get the 12 ! photos printed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Totally understandable, that said, not sure with your office, but mine is a yes, but after that to pick up the stamp which is almost always never there when it is supposed to be (have learned to call first) save me a 3 hour return trip without it. Next month swapping to a retirement extension after 7 years on the marriage extension as they are just the worst to deal with, i.e. let's just leave it at that.

My advice, call them and ask.

"she'd rather avoid what is a rather unpleasant trip." and just why is it an unpleasant trip? Some of these Immigration officers want to start and be fair and pleasant when dealing with expats, both in my experience and what I read about IO's on this forum quite often. The expats dealing with unpleasant IO's cannot all be wrong.

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

"she'd rather avoid what is a rather unpleasant trip." and just why is it an unpleasant trip? Some of these Immigration officers want to start and be fair and pleasant when dealing with expats, both in my experience and what I read about IO's on this forum quite often. The expats dealing with unpleasant IO's cannot all be wrong.

But not all IO's are the same and not all IO's are unpleasant.

The ones that I dealt with in Mae Sot, Nakhon Sawan and Kamphaeng Phet have always been pleasant, helpful and farang friendly

22 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

IOs hold a lot of power over you which is why the trips to immigration are way more stressful than trips to the DLT for example. 

Edited by WizGlitz
  • Thanks 1