Mid-air madness: Unruly passenger turns Lufthansa flight to Bangkok into chaos

webfact

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A few weeks in an Indian jail then back home for him sounds appropriate. Pity they could not fly on to Pakistan or Afghanistan!

Followed by a bill from the airline for the un-scheduled stop and extra fuel costs.

• Agree 2

Was drunk one night, and could not sleep, so (stupidly) took a sleeping tablet.

Next morning found out I went to a friend's bar, fell down a few times, and I woke up next to my bed on the floor with bruises on my head and chest.

Be very careful mixing booze and sleeping tablets!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Seriously????

Are lighter banned from planes? I've not smoked for years now but I thought you could put in a clear bag at security with liquids below 100ml.
A quick google search displays numerous results.

Bringing a lighter on a plane in carry onCigarette lighters are allowed in carry on bags as long as they are disposable or Zippo type lighters. They can still have fuel in them as well.

Edited by Big Bert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sig said:

The obvious! Somebody might attempt to light a blanket on fire.

Bringing a lighter on a plane in carry onCigarette lighters are allowed in carry on bags as long as they are disposable or Zippo type lighters. They can still have fuel in them as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

Are lighter banned from planes? I've not smoked for years now but I thought you could put in a clear bag at security with liquids below 100ml.
A quick google search displays numerous results.

I didn't say they were banned.

You asked "What's wrong with a lighter?"

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I think that when passengers have a fit that the reason for crazed behavior should be studied and catalogued. I have mild claustrophobia and have taken planes quite a few times without any issues. Who's to say that one day something like this won't happen to me or anyone of us?

Alcohol or drugs aside, there might be an underlying issue that could be treatable or diagnosed. Its easy to point a finger and blame people but sometimes there are real issues at cause but no one knows them cos no studies have been undertaken, yet

That's an extremely sympathetic outlook and perhaps there is a medical 'mental health' reason for his actions, in which case, his actions were so extreme he should be under medical care and not permitted onward travel. 

But... do you really think you are the sort of person who may set fire to blankets and strip naked becase you have mild claustrophobia ??? - I think you've significantly exaggerated your potential reaction with this level of 'whatifery'.... 

Should you really be flying if you have such concern for your own behavior ???

Ans: Of course not, but you are not concerned for your own behavior - you are just using a hyperbolic exageration to attempt to understand or justify some extremely dangerous and illegal behavior. 

The guys Wife was already scared and asked for help from Cabin crew - it seems he does have on going issues.

I suspect we could have further news stories from this guy if this is repeatable behavior. 

Most likely booze related if I were to guess. An apology doesn't cut it. 

I wonder how many missed connections there were etc.

Can passengers sue another passenger for such issues ?

Someone behaves like this on my flight and delays me, I'd want to take legal action. 

-----------------

I recall on a Finn Air flight - my son was 1.5 years old asleep on my chest, Wife asleep in the seat next to me. 

The flight attendants came and woke me from a semi-slumber and warned me that a drunk passenger is getting unruly and to be careful if my son were to take up and cry (disturbing the angry drunk passenger)... 

WHAT ???...   I asked if he is behaving so poorly, what has the pilot said to him ?

The pilot hadn't been notified - very poor handling of the situation IMO..  If they felt the need to warn other passengers, but had not yet involved the Pilot to warn the passenger to calm down.

The drunk passenger fell asleep and slept off the rest of the flight - meanwhile I was on high alert for the remaining 6 hours !!!...  Not a pleasant experience.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

I think that when passengers have a fit that the reason for crazed behavior should be studied and catalogued. I have mild claustrophobia and have taken planes quite a few times without any issues. Who's to say that one day something like this won't happen to me or anyone of us?

Alcohol or drugs aside, there might be an underlying issue that could be treatable or diagnosed. Its easy to point a finger and blame people but sometimes there are real issues at cause but no one knows them cos no studies have been undertaken, yet

If anyone has any inkling they are a candidate for this kind of behavior they have no business potentially putting others in jeopardy.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

Forget bottled water and clean toilets.  His digestive system will remember this adventure the rest of his days.

There are stories of released Indian prisoners breaking back in to jail for the good food!! :whistling:

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Should you really be flying if you have such concern for your own behavior ???

screw you for turning this on me to make your point. if i am man enough to do some introspection and try to understand what makes people tick i am of a very different cloth than you. i bet that when you read about someone doing something really bad you are quick to set up a gallows for their public execution. guys like you dont ever look at two sides of a story and unfortunately this is what makes zealots in the world today. i bet you think it is right to commit a genocide in gaza cos they started it without even trying to understand both sides of the story. guys like you throw anyone under the bus until one day it is your turn to face the music. you are a wimp and you think that because i believe such VERY common behaviors on planes should be understood rather than just burn anyone cos it is the easy way to do it? guys like you shouldnt be allowed to express their opinions cos all you do is use other people's opinions and twist them around to suit your narrative

oh... and btw @richard_smith237 no one can predict their future... maybe some day it will be you we read about on here

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo courtesy Wikipedia

A 53 year old German man turned a routine Lufthansa flight from Munich to Bangkok into a chaotic nightmare. From threats to undressing and attempting to set a blanket ablaze, this turbulent episode forced an unscheduled landing in India.

Just a few hours into the 10-hour and 45-minute journey, chaos erupted as the unnamed German man unleashed a series of disturbing actions. His wife, feeling threatened, sought help from the airline staff, setting off a chain of events that would leave the entire flight on edge.

Responding to his wife’s plea, the unruly passenger escalated the situation dramatically. Witnesses revealed that he not only threw food but also attempted to set a blanket on fire with a lighter. Adding to the pandemonium, he smashed his phone and shockingly undressed mid-flight, screaming menacingly.

“I’ll kill you all!”

The cabin crew’s instructions fell on deaf ears as the situation spiralled out of control.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

File photo courtesy Wikipedia

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Perhaps his food was too spicy making him spit it out and then his wife said she was cold so he thought he’d warm her up by heating the blanket and whilst doing this he stood on his phone. 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Gloman said:

Completely agree. Always two sides to a story. Perhaps his wife told him something stressing. 🤷‍♂️

So he tries to set fire to a blanket and strips ???....    erm...    :whistling:

Nothing justifies this degree of response... And only extreme mental health issues explain it, in which case there is a medical history. 

This guy has 'apologiesed' and there is no comment of a severe mental health issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

They are absolutely not.

Absorbed liquid and butane lighters are limited to one lighter per passenger in carry-on or on one's person. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, any lighter in the carry-on must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lighters#:~:text=Absorbed liquid and butane lighters,passenger in the aircraft cabin.

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

Was drunk one night, and could not sleep, so (stupidly) took a sleeping tablet.

Next morning found out I went to a friend's bar, fell down a few times, and I woke up next to my bed on the floor with bruises on my head and chest.

Be very careful mixing booze and sleeping tablets!

Try adding some pot and cocaine and see what you'd do... 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

screw you for turning this on me to make your point. if i am man enough to do some introspection and try to understand what makes people tick i am of a very different cloth than you. i bet that when you read about someone doing something really bad you are quick to set up a gallows for their public execution. guys like you dont ever look at two sides of a story and unfortunately this is what makes zealots in the world today. i bet you think it is right to commit a genocide in gaza cos they started it without even trying to understand both sides of the story. guys like you throw anyone under the bus until one day it is your turn to face the music. you are a wimp and you think that because i believe such VERY common behaviors on planes should be understood rather than just burn anyone cos it is the easy way to do it? guys like you shouldnt be allowed to express their opinions cos all you do is use other people's opinions and twist them around to suit your narrative

Calm down petal...  you removed the context and are crying about one line of a full response.

You have claustrophobia... thats all - its not enough to go burning blankets and stipping naked on a flight - is it ????

And if it were, I'm sure you'd be 'man enough' to take measures to avoid such a response - wouldn't you ???

How can you bring Gaza into this'.... ???....   Perhaps you are unhinged enough to go nuts, your butt hurt hyperbolic playing the victim response is certainly not one of rationality.... 

Poor mental health is not an excuse or justification to attempt to set fire to a plane with a few hundred people on it no matter how sympathetic you feel because one day you may be in the same situation and find yourself wanting to unload and put innocent others at risk. 

Mental health is an issue and I'm sympathetic towards that - less so when 100's of innocent people are put at risk.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Guy probably handed his balls over to the Thai wife years ago then decides to take a pathetic last stand while inconveniencing and endangering hundreds.  Good chance the wife is enjoying some long deserved family time with her "brother."

How someone gets to this conclusion is truly deserving of psychological study... 

... you seem to have made 'ridiculous assumption' an art form...  :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Big Bert said:

No idea what your response is pertaining to....? The comment I replied to had nothing to do with anything about regulations or what may or may not be allowed.
I was responding to your comment, "What's wrong with a lighter?"
To which I said, "The obvious! Somebody might attempt to light a blanket on fire."
If you'd read and remembered the story, you'd get the gist of my comment.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

remember being on a flight with an idiot like this, he eventually got into a physical altercation with a member of cabin crew and I had enough, brought to the floor and restrained - he was arrested when we landed, I got an applause

Good on you but it could have backfired though.