Recap of recent events in Gaza

CharlieH

image.png

Summary of the day so far

It’s 2am in Gaza City and Tel Aviv. Here’s a recap of the latest developments:

• Israel’s military pounded the Gaza Strip on Friday after the end of a seven-day truce. Israel launched more than 200 strikes across the Gaza Strip on Friday, including in the densely populated south, where many civilians have fled. Khan Younis, which was previously attacked less heavily than the north of Gaza, was almost bombed from the air immediately after the truce broke down. Israel has signaled that it is preparing to launch a ground assault into southern Gaza in a significant escalation of the war. Gaza’s health ministry said 178 civilians had been killed since the ceasefire ended.

• Israel’s military has set out its plan for the “next stage of the war”: dividing Gaza into dozens of numbered “evacuation areas”, a core part of the military’s plan to gradually take control of the southern part of the strip. Under the plan, people in certain numbered districts of Gaza will be told to evacuate before bombing begins, although how much time they will get is not clear. Leaflets were dropped in parts of Khan Younis, where Israel believes Hamas’s leadership is based, warning citizens to evacuate further south to Rafah.

• Humanitarian groups said the Israeli warnings would be insufficient because civilians in Gaza were running out of places to evacuate to. Palestinians risked being forced completely out of the territory, they said. Homes in Khan Younis were among the targets struck on Friday hours after the truce expired, and residents were given little, if any, time to flee.

• No humanitarian aid has been allowed into Gaza on Friday, including fuel, the head of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) has said. The Palestinian Red Crescent Society (PRCS) said Israeli forces told organisations operating at the Rafah crossing that the entry of aid trucks is prohibited “until further notice”. A spokesperson for the crossing said the entrance of trucks carrying much-needed aid, fuel and cooking gas from Egypt into the Gaza Strip had stopped because of Israeli bombardment.

• The resumption of hostilities came as the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, appeared to brush aside US calls to pursue a more restrained military campaign. Netanyahu said his country’s forces were now “charging forward” and that the plan was for a total military victory. In a difficult meeting on Thursday, US secretary of state Antony Blinken clashed with the Israeli cabinet and insisted the level of civilian casualties had to be reduced in any resumed assault and that Israel had to share its long-term objectives for Gaza with moderate Arab states.

• The families of hostages being held in Gaza have said they are terrified about the safety of their loved ones after the end of the ceasefire. The relatives of some of the remaining 126 Israeli hostages have said they are grappling with feeling joy for those who have been released, while being worried sick for loved ones left behind.

• The UN said it deeply regretted the resumption of deadly hostilities in the Gaza Strip, calling the situation “catastrophic”. The body also said it was concerned by suggestions Israel could seek to expand its military offensive inside the Palestinian territory. The UN’s human rights chief, Volker Türk, urged efforts to be redoubled to try to bring about a ceasefire on humanitarian and human rights grounds.

• Israel has said it will not renew visa for a top UN official who helps oversee humanitarian aid for the Gaza Strip and occupied West Bank, a UN spokesperson said. Israel’s foreign ministry last month accused Lynn Hastings, the UN’s deputy special coordinator for the Middle East peace process and UN humanitarian coordinator for the occupied Palestinian territory, of failing to be impartial and objective.

• Rishi Sunak has described the breakdown of the truce as “deeply disappointing” and issued renewed calls for “sustained humanitarian pauses” in Gaza as he held talks with Israel’s president and the leaders of Egypt, Qatar and Jordan on the sidelines of the Cop28 summit on Friday.

More information in this article from

Guardian.png

..... 'Israel launched more than 200 strikes across the Gaza Strip on Friday, including in the densely populated southwhere many civilians have fled. Khan Younis, which was previously attacked less heavily than the north of Gaza, was almost bombed from the air immediately after the truce broke down"....

For those that need a visual aid, the yellow line is 41 kms.   

Gaza Strip is 41 X 10 X 13 kms

Gaza Strip overlaid next to Pattaya

patts vs gazza.png

Overlay next to London, UK

London pop density 5,598/km2

Gaza pop density 6,507/km2

london vs gaza.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

None.  But Thailand isn't being occupied.

Other than getting the examples mixed, you could ask what the Palestinian did (or failed to do) that contributes to their predicament. On the same note, how do Hamas actions, agenda help make things better in that regard?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Israel-Hamas war live: 184 Palestinians killed since truce ended on Friday morning"

Does anyone actually believe less than 1 person was killed per bomb?

You obviously believe something, but too coy to come out and say it. I guess it's some nonsense conspiracy level thing.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, WDSmart said:

And, you could ask what the Zionists did (or failed to do) that contributed to the Hamas attack on Israel on 7 Oct. 

No, I couldn't - because unlike you I wouldn't exclusively refer to Israelis as 'Zionists'. That's something often seen from official representatives of Hamas, Iran, Iran-backed-militias, and North Korea. The underlying sentiment is objection to Israel's existence, and making a silly show of ignoring reality. It's a lame hater thing.

Also, next time that you whine about being labeled a Hamas supporter, Hamas apologist and so on - refer to your post and my reply.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Morch said:

Again, the only people insisting on using the Zionist moniker the way you do are leaders and official spokesmen of Hamas, other Palestinian terrorist organizations, Iran, Iran-backed-militias, and North Korea. You can try to spin it whichever way you like. The IDF is not a 'militant' group, but an army. Practically no one references it as you insist to do.

Morch, Sorry, I forgot one term which is used differently by you and me:

Trolling/Commenting :wink:

Edited by WDSmart
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, Morch said:

No, I couldn't - because unlike you I wouldn't exclusively refer to Israelis as 'Zionists'. That's something often seen from official representatives of Hamas, Iran, Iran-backed-militias, and North Korea. The underlying sentiment is objection to Israel's existence, and making a silly show of ignoring reality. It's a lame hater thing.

Also, next time that you whine about being labeled a Hamas supporter, Hamas apologist and so on - refer to your post and my reply.

First of all, are the Arab Israelis also Zionists? Maybe you will claim that the Druze are Zionists??? It's not fair to accuse all Israelis for this mass murder. There are a few Israelis who still believe in peace and justice for the Palestinians. The criminals like Netanyahu, Ben Gvir, and Smotrich are certainly Zionists. Zionism went criminal as far back as the 1930s.

• Confused 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, Morch said:

Again, the only people insisting on using the Zionist moniker the way you do are leaders and official spokesmen of Hamas, other Palestinian terrorist organizations, Iran, Iran-backed-militias, and North Korea. You can try to spin it whichever way you like. The IDF is not a 'militant' group, but an army. Practically no one references it as you insist to do.

The IDF includes settler militants. That may explain why we can see settlers committing murder why IDF soldiers look on.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, placnx said:

First of all, are the Arab Israelis also Zionists? Maybe you will claim that the Druze are Zionists??? It's not fair to accuse all Israelis for this mass murder. There are a few Israelis who still believe in peace and justice for the Palestinians. The criminals like Netanyahu, Ben Gvir, and Smotrich are certainly Zionists. Zionism went criminal as far back as the 1930s.

That would be you displaying either ignorance or extreme bias. Probably both. Zionism is not a monolith style ideology or concept. There are many faces to it. Most of the Center-Left parties in Israel are Zionist. Many pro-peace Israelis are. A whole lot of the hostages are too.

I don't really follow the 'logic' of your post, doubt there's much of that anyway - didn't say anything about 'Arab Israelis', 'Druze' and so on. Also, accusation of 'mass murder' is something that you may claim or engage in - not part of my post either, I think.

As for your last line, utter biased nonsense.

2 minutes ago, placnx said:

The IDF includes settler militants. That may explain why we can see settlers committing murder why IDF soldiers look on.

The IDF does not 'include settler militants' in the way you imply. Nor does your comment have much to do with my post (that you replied to).

Another day, another nonsense deflection from you.