How to lifve in Thailand, retired, for a year, and best beach place. Finance is a bit short.

So OP can you be bothered to answer our questions? What is your monthly budget? do you have funds of 800,000baht? do you get the full OZ pension? will you have say 2millon+ baht to cover hospital bills? Your first obstacle will be to open a Thai bank account. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Pattaya's wonderful, always has been. 

@Addicted2Pattayaon 2008-10-13 00:39:08:

If pattaya did die. where would be the next best place ?

@Sommaz on 2008-10-13 10:47:57:

Heaven of course.

However, if you want a quieter beach but nearer heaven, stay at Ban Amphur or Bangsalay. Along the coast south of Pattaya are some really nice places.

Shhhh..... don't tell everyone, or they'll all come!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Hope this short info might help you, please feel free to ask questions...:smile:

Very helpful post.

Dont understand why you bothered.

The OP started a thread and has contributed ZERO.

Wasted threads like this are sad.

@Kermit2404 are you even aware you have contributed ZERO despite being online since your OP. 

• Sad 2

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Very helpful post.

@Kermit2404 are you even aware you have contributed ZERO despite being online since your OP. 

Thanks for your comment.

Others than the OP can have benefit from answers in the forum; I have found a lot of very useful information without ever asking one opening-post question. That is why I bother to answer OPs and comments with questions – the ASEAN NOW-threads even shows up when asking Google for help.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Others than the OP can have benefit from answers in the forum; I

They will have a LOT more help it the OP contributed.

Here is a random response from @brianthainess

"So OP can you be bothered to answer our questions? What is your monthly budget? do you have funds of 800,000baht? do you get the full OZ pension? will you have say 2millon+ baht to cover hospital bills? Your first obstacle will be to open a Thai bank account" 

If the OP answered some of those questions rather than start a thread and contribute nothing, that would be a good start..

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They will have a LOT more help it the OP contributed.

Here is a random response from @brianthainess

"So OP can you be bothered to answer our questions? What is your monthly budget? do you have funds of 800,000baht? do you get the full OZ pension? will you have say 2millon+ baht to cover hospital bills? Your first obstacle will be to open a Thai bank account" 

If the OP answered some of those questions rather than start a thread and contribute nothing, that would be a good start..

And 2 days later still Zilch from the OP. 

On 12/4/2023 at 2:50 AM, Stanton681 said:

And still is today.

I was there to do a visa crossing last year . I think after 3 or 4 days I would start to get bored of the place . There`s the small night market at the weekend and the walk along the river can be pleasant , but apart from that .....?

Maybe if you had a Thai partner to go out with it might be different , but for a solo traveller ?

Am I missing something here ?

On 12/5/2023 at 2:28 AM, DrJack54 said:

Very helpful post.

I am sorry about the late replies. Have had a drama to attend to. As said in a later post, thank you all for very helpful information. I assure you I will continue to read this thread and keep you updated of my intentions. Cheers, and thanks again.

5 minutes ago, Kermit2404 said:

Further, I am on a full pension plus a small amount of super. I dont have a Thai bank account, I live in Tasmania and there isnt any THai banking representation here.

I can certainly fulfill the 800000 baht requirement.

Not in other....

How much is your total pension and (super income )

The Thai bank account is obtained in Thailand, not AU.

For your first year you would need to use money in bank method.

You will need an agent to open a Thai bank account if you enter with visa exempt or tourist visa..

• Haha 1

Just now, Kermit2404 said:

Someone mentioned Songkhla  beach. Not to close to Muslim dramas?

Not that I have a drama with any race or religion. Am infact studying Budhhism, dont refrain all that well from intoxicating substances, but have cut down. I dont want to be a full blown any religion, just understanding Thai culture.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not in other....

How much is your total pension and (super income )

The Thai bank account is obtained in Thailand, not AU.

For your first year you would need to use money in bank method.

You will need an agent to open a Thai bank account if you enter with visa exempt or tourist visa..

Where will I find a reputable agent as this sounds like the best advice.

Total income with super and pension in AUD is $30,000 pa or 700,000 baht

3 minutes ago, Kermit2404 said:

Not that I have a drama with any race or religion. Am infact studying Budhhism, dont refrain all that well from intoxicating substances, but have cut down. I dont want to be a full blown any religion, just understanding Thai culture.

6 minutes ago, Kermit2404 said:

7 minutes ago, Kermit2404 said:

Someone mentioned Songkhla  beach. Not to close to Muslim dramas?

Songkhla is a peaceful little town. The issues of the southern insurgency seldom intrude, there have only been two incidents; in Apr 2005 a bomb attached to a motorbike exploded near the Green World Hotel, Songkhla, injured no one, in Dec 2018 two pipe bombs damaged the mermaid statue, again no injuries. The beach is popular with locals and Malaysian tourists at the weekend, but during the week it's a sleepy hollow. Good connections via Hat Yai airport to Bangkok, KL and Singapore. Depends what you're looking for, Songkhla is quite with clean air, but has few expats and little entertainment.

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

Songkhla is a peaceful little town. The issues of the southern insurgency seldom intrude, 

Thank you Stocky, appreciate a resident's reply rather than relying on heresay from people who have never been there.