Young French Tourist Dead After Falling From Koh Samui Waterfall

webfact

image.jpeg

Koh Samui-At 3:30 PM, on December 2nd, 2023, Koh Samui police officers received a missing person report of a French tourist accidentally falling from the Namuang Waterfall 2, Koh Samui, Surat Thani.

The Koh Samui police officers, rescue teams, and relevant agencies rushed to find the missing person who was later publicly identified as Mr. Ryan Meghan, a 20-year-old Frenchman.

On the incident day, Ms. Merina Emma and her friend reported to officers at the Namuang Waterfall 2 that Ryan and other friends visited the waterfall. However, Ryan went alone to play water in another spot and after 5 minutes passed Merina and other friends reportedly shouted for Ryan. There was no response, only Ryan’s sandals and phone were found on the ground, said Merina.

By Adam Judd

Full story: TYHE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-12-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, newbee2022 said:
7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Waterfalls and slippery rocks... bad combo, stick to designated paths

...and sandals, probably flip-flops 

4 hours ago, ignore it said:

Another selfie suicide 

Given that his flip-flops and phone were found on the ground - I'd assume they were placed there.

The statement (poor wording in the report).. that the deceased had 'gone to play water in another spot' - could that imply he had gone to swim ?

Other reports state he had fallen from the 4th tier to the 3rd, about 10-15 meters and his body was wedged between rocks in a powerful stream of water...  he had apparently entered the 4th tier of the waterfall which is off limits due to the strong current from recent rains.

I wonder if the area was fenced off... But it seems that the deceased had gone for a swim or a walk in water at the 4th tier and got washed over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet you exert energy making obnoxious statements of the deceased or severely poorly...     just a measure of your true character...

The quite attributed to numerous sources (Twain / Lincoln etc)... "Its better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"....   

In this case that statement could be re-worded.... "Its better to remain silent and thought of as a complete ayhole than to speak and remove all doubt"....   :whistling:

As if I can about your fake compassion.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

you exert energy making obnoxious statements of the deceased or severely poorly...     just a measure of your true character...

My character is top notch. Won't find any better. Why because i help people in real life. I don't pretend to care about dead strangers to impress people online. That's just phony. You would have read 100 stories in 12 months about dead strangers. Be suprised if you could remember 1 name.

If you want to be a good person Ritchie go help someone in real life that needs help. Maybe start giving 100 baht tips to market vendors instead of drinking expensive wine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

very sad, many years ago, a younger me visited koh samui, rented a motorcycle (no helmet) and went climbing up a waterfall i found, i slipped and fell, badly banging and hurting my leg/knee. the young believe they are indestructible, they take risks, i certainly did. but boy, have i had an amazing life.

RIP young man

I know this spot well. And with the current rain fall it means it is screaming down and spraying widely. Beautiful, but a large safety nuisance also.

The spray feeds the moss and algae all about the rocks. It’s as slippery as anything, bare feet have no purchase, flip flops hardly more. One step and you slide off before you realise. And down to the next level of hellish rocks.

Every year one two sad souls try selfies, or play explorer, or want to sit in a pool of wildly twisting water. Once in the pool you might stay ok for a spell.

The problem is getting to the pool and from, is like walking on an 45° ice rink. In dry season you can manage this, the water is far less, but in monsoon season it’s insane.

There are signs warning of the danger but they get ignored by a few Darwin Award Winners, who accidentally remove themselves from the gene pool for their own choices.

RIP

15 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

very sad, many years ago, a younger me visited koh samui, rented a motorcycle (no helmet) and went climbing up a waterfall i found, i slipped and fell, badly banging and hurting my leg/knee. the young believe they are indestructible, they take risks, i certainly did. but boy, have i had an amazing life.

RIP young man

I am quite sure that the deceased  guy would be pleased to know that .

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yet in so many threads your comments show othersie. 

Great... yet you still feel compelled to speak ill of the unfortunate and deceased.

You don't need to pretend to care.... But you could pretend not to be yourself and refrain from posting ill of the unfortunate and deceased. 

I don't need to, I've neither offered compassion or otherwise...  my comments are not regarding compassion for the dead... nether are they regarding the absence of any compassion in your comments but the contemptible offensiveness with which you comment on the unfortunate and deceased.

IF your true character were different and in reality you behave with a kind benevolence, I wonder why when its anonymous you feel so compelled to speak ill of the dead.

(comment ignored due to being a stupid attempt at a tit-for-tat point score - pathetic).

You are being fake and argumentative.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

comment ignored due to being a stupid attempt at a tit-for-tat point score - pathetic).

No because you are a rich person who looks down on others. Get off your high horse. Go help people who need it.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The people I look down upon are the contemptible characters who's comment expose their true nature.

My wealth or lack thereof is irrelevant and to attempt to use it as a 'reverse snobbery' point score is desperately pathetic and further exposes an absence of intelligence befitting of your contemptible comments of the deceased.

Its quite simple really - Just don't write such disgusting comments about people who were unfortunate to die in tragic circumstances, whether self inflicted or not.

Ok Ritchie. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a few tourists have lost their lives at those waterfalls over the years. It's high time they construct some sort of steps with railings and a securely fenced observation/lookout area. After all it is one of Samui's main tourist attractions and is promoted as such, so it should be safe for visitors.

• Confused 1