Fair go

bignok

Just now, Prubangboy said:

It's unquantifiable and has no bearing on the present moment. 

As you carefully -inexplicably- weigh your life's ups and downs (and now mine too?), consider:

If you were a poor Indian boy u probably be dead or sick now

15 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

Which has nothing to do with luck,, and can be equally applied to every walk of life.

As Millions upon millions of failed sportsmen, pop stars and many others will testify.

Lack of talent / not good enough is not down to luck.

Well to make it you should have talent and a will to win.

Do you Think Shakira would be famous if she did not know how to shake things?

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

If you were a poor Indian boy u probably be dead or sick now

Why is he Indian? Possibly because his parents are Indian.

Why are they Indian? Going way back, I'll bet they were very Indian. Pretend-pondering the relative, made up in your own head "injustice of this" is virtue signaling.

Karma belief sorts out from the get-go what you haplessly wrestle with.

I don't personally believe in Karma. But I broadly live an "As If"-life; I live as if it really exists, like Christians do with Heaven.

32 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Why is he Indian? Possibly because his parents are Indian.

Why are they Indian? Going way back, I'll bet they were very Indian. Pretend-pondering the relative, made up in your own head "injustice of this" is virtue signaling.

Karma belief sorts out from the get-go what you haplessly wrestle with.

I don't personally believe in Karma. But I broadly live an "As If"-life; I live as if it really exists, like Christians do with Heaven.

You didn't choose to be American

That's on Jesus, up in heaven.

Sorted, off the hook, run your lame guilt trip on someone else.

This is a corruption of Metta gratitude work, or Naikan, in its more refined Zen concept.

Just do the work. Stop being such a deep think poseur.

Edited by Prubangboy

16 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

Which has nothing to do with luck,, and can be equally applied to every walk of life.

As Millions upon millions of failed sportsmen, pop stars and many others will testify.

Lack of talent / not good enough is not down to luck.

The right place at the right time and meeting somebody influential by chance has plenty to do with it too.

Of course, you need talent as well, but there are plenty of talented people, some more talented than the rich and famous, who just didn't make it.

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

The right place at the right time and meeting somebody influential by chance has plenty to do with it too.

Sure, I can agree with that, with a caveat.

This will happen to very few people, for the others it will not be luck or chance, it will have been deliberately engineered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:
8 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

This will happen to very few people, for the others it will not be luck or chance, it will have been deliberately engineered.

this happened to me in thailand. after the meeting i put in almost 4 years of hard work to prove myself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

You know there are a few I can mention here, mostly British but an American as well.

There was Supermodel Naomi Campbell spotted as a supermarket cashier. EdSheeran was busking on the streets and was spotted by an agency. Simon Cowell was on his parent's sofa, but with his family's connections in TV, they managed through the back door to launch his TV career initially. and then there was Anthony Bourdain, the famous American chef.

It was a woman who was a friend of his mother, who pushed her husband to get his scripts read in the publishing world that launched his book and Television success Kitchen Confidential, No Reservations, Parts Unknown etc

So, all the above had and have talent, but they met the right people at the right time.

Many equally talented don't get there.

I cannot compare myself to any of the above, but I relied and always have, on a sharp eye for an opportunity and hard work coupled with a determination to succeed in my own way.

• Sad 1

Nope. Grew up lower-middle class in SE USA, raised well by the most awesome and smart single mom. Deadbeat dad. Made my own way, all the way. Started working at 10 for spending money. Graduated high school with Academic High Honors. Couldn't afford college and decided not to take out loans. Set goals to work as little as possible and make as much money possible doing just that...and to retire a millionaire at 59. Succeeded at 59 and exceeded on the rest. Got into a fantabulous career in aviation at 24, retired at 59. Lived below my means and invested very wisely. Now I have everything I need and whatever I want. Still don't live extravagantly, as that's not in my makeup, but can if I choose to and don't deny myself anything. Made it and now's the time to enjoy it. :coffee1:

On 12/6/2023 at 6:24 PM, bignok said:

Which is bs. Practice 70 hours a week with no talent you won't even make the tour. John Daley won 2 majors. He hardly practiced at all.

I get yo drift, but if Daly had the dedication and spent the time refining his skills practicing, he likely would have won even more. And no way Nicklaus or Woods would have had the success they enjoyed without their dedication and hours upon hours of daily practice. 

If i had been born the son of a nomadic cattle herder in Sudan, i would probably already be dead. Certainly not here in Thailand instead.  I was lucky to be born in a country where medical treatment and schooling was a right; University was practically free (grant given), never had to fight in a war and during my life some of the difficult decisions were solved by procrastination, with good results! Life has not been perfect, but more good luck than bad.

Most people, but maybe not some of the misanthropic posters on here would say that being loved is the most valuable thing in the world. Beautiful people are loved easily. Women's lives are especially determined by their looks. Genetic inheritance seems the quintessential example of luck.