Israel and Hamas fight house-to-house battles across Gaza

CharlieH

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm surprised the Israelis are allowed to bomb civilians in a foreign land on a Saturday. My Rabbi friend can't even drive his car to the next province. 

Who cares about your rabbit? How many times do you want to mention him? Must be coming up to a dozen at least now? More off topic nonsense from you to distract from the daily updates

• Like 2

This is good to see, not something the Hamas apologists would like to admit to. It needs more than a few hundred though.

‘Down with Hamas’: IDF publishes footage of Gazans protesting terror group rule

Footage published by the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, known by its acronym COGAT, claims to show hundreds of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip calling for the end of the Hamas terror group’s rule.

“Down with Hamas,” Palestinians chant, according to COGAT.

The video was filmed yesterday at a humanitarian corridor set up by the Israeli army in the Khan Younis area.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/down-with-hamas-idf-publishes-footage-of-gazans-protesting-terror-group-rule/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wonder if there is a provision in Judaism for blowing kids to bits because they live in Gaza? The commandment "thou shalt not kill" is pretty unambiguous.

@thaibeachlovers

I wonder if there's a lower bar to your comments.

As for the ignorance on display - are there not wars, killings, murders and so on appearing in the Old Testament? Is this any different from how secular laws work? You get a basic tenet, and then there are exceptions, motivations, circumstances and so on.

And, of course, other than in your vile post Israel does not 'blow kids because they live in Gaza'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another huge tunnel network in Khan Yunis 

Breaking - IDF reveals never before seen footage of a Hamas command tunnel located underneath a graveyard in Khan Yunis 

The tunnel was used by Hamas during and since October 7 to launch attacks against our forces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Another huge tunnel network in Khan Yunis 

Breaking - IDF reveals never before seen footage of a Hamas command tunnel located underneath a graveyard in Khan Yunis 

The tunnel was used by Hamas during and since October 7 to launch attacks against our forces.

On the other hand:

US, Israel believe up to 80% of Hamas tunnels intact after 114 days of war – report

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-israel-believe-up-to-80-of-hamas-tunnels-intact-after-114-days-of-war-report/

Almost any war bring about new military challenges. Dealing with tunnels seem to be one of the major ones related to this conflict. I guess that regardless of governments stance in relation to the conflict, many armies (and para-military/terrorist groups) are following these matters closely - learning the lessons, and/or trying to device strategies/solutions.

It sure does go much harder, and turns out to be far more complicated than expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Morch said:

On the other hand:

US, Israel believe up to 80% of Hamas tunnels intact after 114 days of war – report

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-israel-believe-up-to-80-of-hamas-tunnels-intact-after-114-days-of-war-report/

Almost any

Hamas regroups in northern Gaza to prepare new offensive
Militant Palestinian group begins to rebuild system of governance in north after being driven out by Israeli forces

It sure does go much harder, and turns out to be far more complicated than expected.

Harder and more complicated than some people's expectations. 

• Sad 1

Hamas militants have returned to northern Gaza, where they are mobilising against Israeli forces and rebuilding a system of governance, aid officials, Gaza residents, analysts and Israeli officials say.

Elsewhere in Gaza, Hamas administrators and police maintain firm control of the south, where much of the population is concentrated, though civil order is breaking down in central regions.

The apparent resurgence of Hamas in areas seized and cleared by Israeli troops during the nearly four-month offensive underlines the difficulties Benjamin Netanyahu faces in meeting his pledge to “crush” the militant group.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/30/hamas-returns-northern-gaza-new-offensive

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Hamas militants have returned to northern Gaza, where they are mobilising against Israeli forces and rebuilding a system of governance, aid officials, Gaza residents, analysts and Israeli officials say.

Elsewhere in Gaza, Hamas administrators and police maintain firm control of the south, where much of the population is concentrated, though civil order is breaking down in central regions.

The apparent resurgence of Hamas in areas seized and cleared by Israeli troops during the nearly four-month offensive underlines the difficulties Benjamin Netanyahu faces in meeting his pledge to “crush” the militant group.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/30/hamas-returns-northern-gaza-new-offensive

nearly 2 weeks since it was discussed

Hamas Rehabilitates Battalions Declared Dismantled by Israeli Army in Northern Gaza Strip
Sources say Hamas is appointing new commanders and is attempting to bring together operatives from different battalions. A senior defense official indicated that Hamas was severely wounded, but the withdrawal of the forces would allow it to recover

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-01-18/ty-article/.premium/hamas-rehabilitates-battalions-declared-dismantled-by-israeli-army-in-northern-gaza-strip/0000018d-1bab-dd75-addd-fbeba8eb0000

https://archive.ph/ZnoxI

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

nearly 2 weeks since it was discussed

Hamas Rehabilitates Battalions Declared Dismantled by Israeli Army in Northern Gaza Strip
Sources say Hamas is appointing new commanders and is attempting to bring together operatives from different battalions. A senior defense official indicated that Hamas was severely wounded, but the withdrawal of the forces would allow it to recover

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-01-18/ty-article/.premium/hamas-rehabilitates-battalions-declared-dismantled-by-israeli-army-in-northern-gaza-strip/0000018d-1bab-dd75-addd-fbeba8eb0000

https://archive.ph/ZnoxI

Here's a post from you in this thread dated Jan 21. Considerably less than 2 weeks ago. image.png.41ab6439b7b54fe4de83ecd2de0b9138.png

Apparently, whatever discussion took place didn't leave much of an impression on you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's a post from you in this thread dated Jan 21. Considerably less than 2 weeks ago. image.png.41ab6439b7b54fe4de83ecd2de0b9138.png

Apparently, whatever discussion took place didn't leave much of an impression on you.

What are you talking about, where did I claim it was discussed here? do you think I'm not aware of what I post? The post from NYT was not accurate?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

What are you talking about, where did I claim it was discussed here? do you think I'm not aware of what I post?

So if it wasn't discussed in this thread, what was your point? You think it's incumbent upon someone posting something to be au courant with everything posted in this sub-forum?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, placeholder said:

So if it wasn't discussed in this thread, what was your point? You think it's incumbent upon someone posting something to be au courant with everything posted in this sub-forum?

My point was made in my post, it was discussed along with a link to the discussion.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What are you talking about, where did I claim it was discussed here? do you think I'm not aware of what I post? The post from NYT was not accurate?

And given the optimistic spin on that post of yours that I inserted in my comment, that news doesn't seem to have much effect on your reckoning.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

My point was made in my post, it was discussed along with a link to the discussion.......

I don't know what post you are referring to. In the post that you originally replied with, there was only a link to a haaretz article.

Edited by placeholder
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, placeholder said:

And given the optimistic spin on that post of yours that I inserted in my comment, that news doesn't seem to have much effect on your reckoning.

Don't worry in a couple of weeks the Guardian may catch up with this bit of news too, from 2 days ago.

Gantz: War against Hamas could last an entire generation, hostages must remain top priority

War cabinet minister Benny Gantz tells residents of the evacuated southern communities that the war against Hamas could last “a year, a decade, or even an entire generation,” and acknowledges the urgent need to ensure the release of the hostages still held in Gaza, Channel 12 reports.

“There is time to destroy Hamas; there is no time left for the hostages; right now, they are the priority,” he tells representatives of various Gaza border communities during a meeting about the ongoing war.

“Complete removal of the threat will take time; we are hoping for relative security by the summer,” he says, and adds that the troops in Gaza will soon reach the city of Rafah, which borders Egypt.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/gantz-war-against-hamas-could-last-an-entire-generation-hostages-must-remain-top-priority/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mooping20Baht said:

Bibi calls palestinians Amelek, many Israelis, some I know, call them "farm animals" , its a culture gone wrong, and artificial state imposed on the Region, for the wrong reasons.

Many Palestinians, Many Arabs, Many Muslims say pretty much the same (and worse) about Israelis and Jews. You don't seem to have an issue with that.

As for 'culture gone wrong', or 'artificial state imposed' - that's just your usual over-the-top flaming stuff.

On 1/28/2024 at 10:10 AM, Morch said:

@thaibeachlovers

I wonder if there's a lower bar to your comments.

As for the ignorance on display - are there not wars, killings, murders and so on appearing in the Old Testament? Is this any different from how secular laws work? You get a basic tenet, and then there are exceptions, motivations, circumstances and so on.

And, of course, other than in your vile post Israel does not 'blow kids because they live in Gaza'.

Israel is certainly not targeting children because they live in Gaza. In fact, it is not targeting children. However, because children live in Gaza they are getting blown up. America, for one, has been persistently pushing Israel to use more targeted methods that are likely to result in fewer collateral deaths. 

Edited by placeholder
  • Sad 1

I remember the UN's statement when they heard this may happen on flooding tunnels “ruining the basic conditions for life in Gaza” of course they like those alarmist shout outs. Never heard them shouting about Hamas stealing all the water pipe infrastructure to make rockets. They also just assume the IDF do not make careful analysis on the soil first before any flooding has been carried out. 

Israel flooding tunnels in Gaza to drive out Hamas terrorists: IDF

The Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) has confirmed that it has been flooding tunnels in Gaza with large volumes of water in its effort to attack the terrorist infrastructure of Hamas.

The IDF says its forces along with the Israeli Ministry of Defense have been using various tools to flood the subterranean network of tunnels, which Hamas has been using in the Gaza Strip, in order to drive out terrorists hiding there. The flooding had been considered an open secret for weeks but the IDF finally confirmed the strategy on Tuesday.

"These capabilities consist of installing pumps and pipes, the materialization of engineering developments and the ability to locate tunnel shafts suitable for the deployment of these tools," the IDF said in a statement.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/israel-flooding-tunnels-gaza-drive-out-hamas-terrorists-idf

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I remember the UN's statement when they heard this may happen on flooding tunnels “ruining the basic conditions for life in Gaza” of course they like those alarmist shout outs. Never heard them shouting about Hamas stealing all the water pipe infrastructure to make rockets. They also just assume the IDF do not make careful analysis on the soil first before any flooding has been carried out. 

Of course, you assume that they do make careful analyses on the soil. Seems dubious.

Israeli Military Confirms It Has Begun Flooding Hamas Tunnels

On the whole, however, the project has had limited success, the officials added. Despite large volumes of water being pumped, many of the tunnels are porous, resulting in seepage into the surrounding soil rather than a deluge through the passageways.

https://archive.ph/mpwLW

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/30/world/middleeast/israel-flooding-tunnels-hamas.html

Edited by placeholder
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well, I guess that makes poisoning the groundwater, OK then? 

The thing is, pipes can be replaced. Soil, not so much.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, I guess that makes poisoning the groundwater, OK then? 

The thing is, pipes can be replaced. Soil, not so much.

Did you read the link on how they do an assessment first? They do their best not to have any impact on the external soil. Not always successful but this is a very limited operation anyway and in areas that are near the sea which is where it is happening mostly then ideal and better that the damage made by blowing up large areas.

Edited by Bkk Brian

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Did you read the link on how they do an assessment first? They do their best not to have any impact on the external soil. Not always successful but this is a very limited operation anyway and in areas that are near the sea which is where it is happening mostly then ideal and better that the damage made by blowing up large areas.

Just seen your edit.....lol......:cheesy: a totally different post now.

There might be a difference between claims and reality?

As for me editing my post... I guess to you reducing the size of the headline caps counts makes a post totally different? Because that's the only change I made. And I did it because I know the mods disapprove of oversized fonts.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

As for me editing my post... I guess to you reducing the size of the headline caps counts makes a post totally different? Because that's the only change I made. And I did it because I know the mods disapprove of oversized fonts.

You tell me?

In the mean time a full assessment and how that is done is explained more here. Feel free to find fault yet again:

IDF confirms flooding Hamas tunnels in Gaza with seawater

The IDF clarified that not all tunnels were being flooded, as the process, which includes attaching pipes and pumps to the shafts, was not suited to all the tunnels and could severely damage some areas. 

Before it floods tunnels, the IDF carries out “professional and comprehensive” preemptive checks, including an analysis of the soil and water system in the area, to ensure groundwater is not contaminated, the army added. Other methods for destroying Hamas’s tunnels include aerial attacks, underground maneuvers and special operation

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-confirms-flooding-hamas-tunnels-in-gaza-with-seawater/

Strange never noticed the UN complaining about Egypt flooding Hamas tunnels back in 2014/2015

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Well, you are making claims, and expect them to be treated seriously.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not always successful? The downside is soil destroyed forever. Your suggestion that the IDF did proper soil sampling is preposterous. Who on this planet imagines that a negative result would have prevented them from doing it?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Not always successful? The downside is soil destroyed forever. Your suggestion that the IDF did proper soil sampling is preposterous. Who on this planet imagines that a negative result would have prevented them from doing it?

@ozimoron

What is preposterous is you making strong claims based on nothing whatsoever. As for your projections...these are you own issues.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

You tell me?

In the mean time a full assessment and how that is done is explained more here. Feel free to find fault yet again:

IDF confirms flooding Hamas tunnels in Gaza with seawater

The IDF clarified that not all tunnels were being flooded, as the process, which includes attaching pipes and pumps to the shafts, was not suited to all the tunnels and could severely damage some areas. 

Before it floods tunnels, the IDF carries out “professional and comprehensive” preemptive checks, including an analysis of the soil and water system in the area, to ensure groundwater is not contaminated, the army added. Other methods for destroying Hamas’s tunnels include aerial attacks, underground maneuvers and special operation

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-confirms-flooding-hamas-tunnels-in-gaza-with-seawater/

Strange never noticed the UN complaining about Egypt flooding Hamas tunnels back in 2014/2015

Given the confession that flooding was much less effective than hoped for, clearly, the process was not suited to more tunnels than that IDF's alleged inspections diagnosed. Keep in mind that the IDF is a party to this conflict and their claims of how they proceed are reasonably subject to skepticism. After all, they have yet to allow outside journalists in to Gaza except under very stringent and highly controlled conditions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Who on this planet imagines that a negative result would have prevented them from doing it?

I do. 

But obviously not you, I would expected exactly that from you, anything to criticize the IDF. If it was a few 2,000 bunker buster bombs to demolish the tunnels you'd also complain.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Given the confession that flooding was much less effective than hoped for, clearly, the process was not suited to more tunnels than that IDF's alleged inspections diagnosed. Keep in mind that the IDF is a party to this conflict and their claims of how they proceed are reasonably subject to skepticism. After all, they have yet to allow outside journalists in to Gaza except under very stringent and highly controlled conditions.

And?