Pattaya punch-up: Ex-US soldier seeks answers as Thai man delivers unexpected blow

webfact

3 hours ago, Uttaradit farang said:

I’m sure if it was a Thai guy punched in the face and sustained a broken nose the police would have checked CCTV and had someone in custody now !

I think that justice for Thais depends on how much money they have, just like in most countries.  So if it were a wealthy Thai, yes, they'll check cameras.  If a poor Thai, not so much maybe.  

As for what happened, if someone punched this guy out of the blue in Pattaya, I assume there were drugs, especially alcohol, or prostitution involved, since those are the main activities for young men in Pattaya, and if not that, then it's just because many Thais are overt racists.  But that's all pure guesswork coming out of my rear end, like most of the comments here haha.  The truth is we don't know what happened and never will until we see camera footage, and even then often context is lacking.    

15 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Whenever I feel like going back to Pattaya, all I need to do is read another story like this.  

I was there hundreds of times. Never had a fight or even a dangerous situation.

Just relax and respect the locals. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CLUBBER said:

Something I have witnessed also in the US ( NYC) and in Germany but not here in Thailand unless alcohol involved

Thanks I was getting worried about Thailand and needed to be reminded it happens in other countries too. However on second thought, as I live in Thailand, not NYC or Germany, the what aboutery ancedote does nothing.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Others here have hinted at it, but there could be a racist element in the assault or also likely, jealousy regarding a female.

Small query - is a US soldier a marine, I understand marines hate being described as a soldier. They are part of the navy.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

i watched two teens on a motorbike in busy traffic drive by and for no reason clock an old man in the head as hard as they could out of the blue.

of course the man was shocked, but more important that the hit strength I feared he was going to have an actual stroke.

I went after the kids but couldn't weave the traffic fast enough before losing them at an intersection.

that had me ANGRY

What do you expect? High IQ teens in Pattaya. Their mums would be bargirls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Others here have hinted at it, but there could be a racist element in the assault or also likely, jealousy regarding a female.

Small query - is a US soldier a marine, I understand marines hate being described as a soldier. They are part of the navy.

soldier usually refers to US Army      

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You mean the same way they respect foreigners.   They wouldn't know respect if it bit them on the a_se 

Like it or not, they are the people who live here and it's their country.

You don't have to visit Thailand if you don't like it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

He's 53 years old  and probably got suckered , you ever been sucked punched at 53?  Where does it say he is a marine -it doesn't.

Ok, US soldier.

Doubt he got sucker punched, this is not a western country where that type of stuff happens often. Most likely he did something to piss the Thai off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1