Anyone else hate the New Year Family Gatherings?

Chris Daley

52 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Putrid seafood, people who can not speak English, staring at a floor, smoke from the bbq filling the house, air con and fans running in every room, screaming kids and you are the designated babysitter, annoying old people that are treated like gods but have never done a days work in their life, driving 10 hours to a beach spending 1 hour there and then drive back again.

Are you into the New Year Family Gatherings? 

I wasn't, but you make it sound such fun.....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

Putrid seafood, people who can not speak English, staring at a floor, smoke from the bbq filling the house, air con and fans running in every room, screaming kids and you are the designated babysitter, annoying old people that are treated like gods but have never done a days work in their life, driving 10 hours to a beach spending 1 hour there and then drive back again.

You must be fun at a party 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

sounds like you just hate the inlaws. nothing new. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

5555 You'd give Eric Idle a run for his money,

8 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

"people who can't speak english"   You do realise where you are don't you ?  Unbelievable comment.   Have you even considered learning some Thai

"annoying old people that are treated like gods but have never done a days work in their life"               What an unpleasant and ignorant remark, you need to learn some respect,  How on earth could you even begin to know their work history with your obvious lack of language skills ?   You should certainly be looking at the floor , In shame !

I hope your long suffering partner has a brother, because it looks to me like you need to be taught some manners, or maybe they should just give you a lift to the airport

You were not designated as a babysitter for the kids, its just that all the adults want nothing to do with you,   why would they?

Honestly, some people!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you attach/marry yourself into a certain social class, you get what you paid for. What else did you expect?

I look forward to our New Year gathering, unless there's been some other major family event mid-year it's the only time most of us are together, though we try to see them individually during the year. Catch up with brothers- and sisters-in-law, see how the various nephews and nieces have grown.

No smelly food, whatever that is, last year lunch was catered and brought in; no screaming kids; a conservative, educated, no-alcohol family. And for the record, English may be spoken.

Happy new year, wherever you may be.

• Sad 1

Family gatherings wherever you are can be torturous affairs.

A group of folks half of whom hate each others guts, hold it together until the alcohol kicks in, then we're off to the races!

In Thailand, add in the dynamic of the farang who doesn't even speak the language and it's one unholy mess.

Although having said that, I speak Thai and Lao and to be honest there have been times I wish I couldn't understand what was going on!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

A group of folks half of whom hate each others guts, hold it together until the alcohol kicks in, then we're off to the races!

exactly,    and some even resort to getting the gun or the machete from the car or motorbike ... 

11 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

So that's the west. What about Thailand?

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

"people who can't speak english"   You do realise where you are don't you ?  Unbelievable comment.   Have you even considered learning some Thai

"annoying old people that are treated like gods but have never done a days work in their life"               What an unpleasant and ignorant remark, you need to learn some respect,  How on earth could you even begin to know their work history with your obvious lack of language skills ?   You should certainly be looking at the floor , In shame !

I hope your long suffering partner has a brother, because it looks to me like you need to be taught some manners, or maybe they should just give you a lift to the airport

You were not designated as a babysitter for the kids, its just that all the adults want nothing to do with you,   why would they?

Honestly, some people!

I did try, surely as many other here, try to learn thai. Bought books, tried to listen to how thais talk etc. (I speak norwegian, english, some german, little french and understand danish and swedish).

My experience in buriram when try to speak thai (exept basic things) is they just look, and seems not try understand. So after a while you just stop trying.

When, in norway, a foreigner tries norwegian we really do our best to understand, and give him credit for his efforts.

Dont say all thais dont try, but to many dont, unfortunately :-)

Edited by Olav Seglem
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

I did try, surely as many other here, try to learn thai. Bought books, tried to listen to how thais talk etc. (I speak norwegian, english, some german, little french and understand danish and swedish).

My experience in buriram when try to speak thai (exept basic things) is they just look, and seems not try understand. So after a while you just stop trying.

When, in norway, a foreigner tries norwegian we really do our best to understand, and give him credit for his efforts.

Dont say all thais dont try, but to many dont, unfortunately :-)

Your Thai must be bad then.

• Sad 2