External drive can't be fixed by local shops, where to take it?

Deserted

My external drive fell on its side and has stopped working. It sounds like the rollers have had it. I've taken it to local shops but they all say I need to go to someone professional or something to that effect but when I ask them who, they can't give me an answer. Is there a place that deals with more difficult repairs? Where is it?

Singapore - Yes, really, that is the answer.

It obviously depends on your data. If you have some bitcoin codes on the drive then maybe you want to spend lots of money to try to save it.

If it's not important, then not.

Many external drives are, or at least used to be, internal drives in external cases. If you open the external case, maybe with force, then there is a good chance that you see an ordinary internal drive with a little bit extra electronic connected to it with a standard connector.

Unplug the drive and connected it to a desktop PC or with an (USB) adapter to any PC.

That is how many internal cases look inside:

61BDW2joC9L.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, do you want the drive repaired, or do you want data recovery ?

If you don't have any important data on it, then its not really worth repairing, just buy a new one.

If its data recovery, and you are reasonably handy, you can try and buy an identical drive and change out parts , put the platters from the old drive into new etc. Otherwise google data recovery companies, these are companies that specialize in getting data off broken hard drives, and will most likely be in Bangkok.

• Agree 1

First, as suggested above, take it out of the case and plug it into your desktop. If it works, you can buy a new external case from Lazada. 

No joy, send to Bangkok for data recovery if there's anything important on the drive. 

https://www.atlrecovery.net/

Free check, no charge if can't recover. Good outfit from my own previous limited experience in behalf of a friend w/ damaged HDD.  

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, do you want the drive repaired, or do you want data recovery ?

If you don't have any important data on it, then its not really worth repairing, just buy a new one.

If its data recovery, and you are reasonably handy, you can try and buy an identical drive and change out parts , put the platters from the old drive into new etc. Otherwise google data recovery companies, these are companies that specialize in getting data off broken hard drives, and will most likely be in Bangkok.

I have data that is invaluable on it and will pay what I need to. I can't understand why after 6 or 7 attempts they all keep saying take it to someone professional, I don't know what they mean. 

They mean to someone who specializes in data recovery.

They will probably open the crashed drive, remove the disk platters and put them in a working drive with the exact same electronics.

Hard disks are like a stack of spinning dinner plates with heads moving in between the plates, chances are the either the movng heads have failed or the platters bearings have failed.

So they may need to buy an identical model drive second hand on somewhere like ebay.

There used to be a company that advertised the service in England but not sure if they still exist.

Not sure if this is them:

https://www.essentialdatarecovery.co.uk/data_recovery/internal_drives.html?gad_source=1

You will probably be looking at a price north of 14,000 Baht

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, croftrobin said:

They mean to someone who specializes in data recovery.

They will probably open the crashed drive, remove the disk platters and put them in a working drive with the exact same electronics.

Hard disks are like a stack of spinning dinner plates with heads moving in between the plates, chances are the either the movng heads have failed or the platters bearings have failed.

So they may need to buy an identical model drive second hand on somewhere like ebay.

There used to be a company that advertised the service in England but not sure if they still exist.

Not sure if this is them:

https://www.essentialdatarecovery.co.uk/data_recovery/internal_drives.html?gad_source=1

You will probably be looking at a price north of 14,000 Baht

That's what I was kinda thinking. Do such companies exist in Bangkok?

• Like 1

I am sure they do.

You would need to ask around at somewhere like Pantip Plaza.

There used to be small shops on various levels that did more specific board level repairs etc not sure now as I have not been there myself for a number of years.

Edited by croftrobin

1 minute ago, croftrobin said:

I am sure they do.

You would need to ask around at somewhere like Pantip Plaza.

There used to be small shops on various levels that did more specific board level repairs etc not sure now as I have not been there myself for a number of years.

Yeah, same here

If/when you talk to a data recovery service, ask if they have a Class 100 Clean Room.

https://datatechlab.com/about-datatech-labs/iso-5-certified-class-100-cleanroom/

If you MUST get your data back, be wary of using an installation that does not have a C100CR. The best firms have them, the lesser players do not.

If you are really stuck, consider an overseas firm; they are the best in Australia by far:

https://www.payam.com.au

• Like 1

I think I need to explain things further. When I switch it on, it doesn't start. A mechinical part has stopped working, that's all it is. I think what's happening is when I take it to a shop, they don't know why it doesn't work and tell me to go to professionals. I just need whatever part has stopped working to start working again, like the rollers or something

• 2 weeks later...