Dirty looks from others

bignok

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I always get dirty looks from Australian women when they see me with my Thai GF.

I smile at them, which probably irritates them even more.

I am laughing out loud internally.

I've been tempted to ask them why the dirty look? Racist? Jealous cause you are a fat mole? I might do it next time

• Like 1

I don't think it's really "dirty" looks, but I have noticed a problem with staring and a tension when you pass another expat.

There's something about Asia where I think you're expected to greet other expats, as opposed to just ignoring people like happens in the Usa. Maybe something brotherly about being in a foreign land, and what have you...

• Haha 1

Just now, JimTripper said:

I don't think it's really "dirty" looks, but I have noticed a problem with staring and a tension when you pass another expat.

There's something about Asia where I think you're expected to greet other expats, as opposed to just ignoring people like happens in the Usa. Maybe something brotherly about being in a foreign land, and what have you...

I just nod. Like there are 2 farangs in nakhon nowhere. You notice them cause so few.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sure thing... 

No, I can't say that I receive dirty looks from anyone, whether in Thailand or overseas, with or without my Wife.

But, if you're getting a 'dirty look' when you order a large coffee and pancakes, it my have nothing to do with what you are ordering, and everything to do with the manner in which you order it. 

No this dude looked at me like I was a pig for ordering it. He was reading a paper.

I find it hard to believe you never received a dirty look once in your life. Calling that bs.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Notice that on my peripheral as well, maybe they’re uncomfortable in their own skin or just lonely. The Germans are kinda weird, a lot of them blab something out of their face when in proximity.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

No this dude looked at me like I was a pig for ordering it. He was reading a paper.

I find it hard to believe you never received a dirty look once in your life. Calling that bs.

You can call bs on me as well then, because (as far as I'm aware) I've never received any dirty looks from anyone while in Thailand. Especially not when ordering 'farang' food in a place that is obviously set up to serve it (otherwise it wouldn't be on the menu).

Just now, GroveHillWanderer said:

You can call bs on me as well then, because (as far as I'm aware) I've never received any dirty looks from anyone while in Thailand. Especially not when ordering 'farang' food in a place that is obviously set up to serve it (otherwise it wouldn't be on the menu).

Maybe you are no aware of it. Short sighted?

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

You know the look was for 'what you ordered'... hmm... and not you ordering in a loud obnoxious manner and disturbing the peace of the coffee shop ??...

... its incredible how blindly people go through life completely unaware of themselves.

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Oh, I'm sure I have...   it was probably in response to flashing a rude ignorant person a dirty look because they couldn't order something politely in a coffee shop !!!...   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bignok said:

Farang woman in lift - dirty look cause you have a younger gf

Its probably not because she is younger , its just that in Western societies paid for friendships are rather frowned upon and some may see it was taking advantage of poor third world girls and denying them a normal relationship with someone their own age 

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

Its probably not because she is younger , its just that in Western societies paid for friendships are rather frowned upon and some may see it was taking advantage of poor third world girls and denying them a normal relationship with someone their own age 

Not paid for. 

36 minutes ago, bignok said:

Farang woman in lift - dirty look cause you have a younger gf

Not because you have a younger GF...   perhaps because she is so much younger you look like a nonce or a sex pest....

Asian women usually look a lot younger than they are and mongers look a lot older... 

• Like 1

You know the look was for 'what you ordered'... hmm... and not you ordering in a loud obnoxious manner and disturbing the peace of the coffee shop ??...

... its incredible how blindly people go through life completely unaware of themselves.

Oh, I'm sure I have...   it was probably in response to flashing a rude ignorant person a dirty look because they couldn't order something politely in a coffee shop !!!...   

I'm quietly spoken. Not loud at all. The dirty look came when the food was delivered. Not ordered. I was recovering from covid so I ordered a large carb meal.

Not because you have a younger GF...   perhaps because she is so much younger you look like a nonce or a sex pest....

Asian women usually look a lot younger than they are and mongers look a lot older... 

I was 34. Looked 34. She looked about the same age. The woman looked 55.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

I was 34. Looked 34. She looked about the same age. The woman looked 55.

Are you sure it wasn't your GF at whom the dirty looks were targeted at for taking advantage of a poor feckless foreigner ?

Or..  could it be that she flashed your GF dirty looks because you are so amazing she was simply jealous and couldn't control her emotions that she missed out the opportunity of being with such an outstanding example of manliness ?

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

There's a subset of guys that kind of "go native" here and look down on anything that's not what a Thai would do.

If you're comfortable being a foreigner or bring habits with you from the home country, even if not objectionable, some look down on it. You can see it on the forum if you spell a city wrong, or in real life where you maybe mis-pronounce a Thai city name where they will quickly smugly correct you, stuff like that.

That could be the pancake thing. Another is wearing quality shoes and clothing. Some expats don't like it. I have caught people staring at my pricey shoes with disgust, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I must admit I generally pay absolutely no attention to 'other people' when I'm going about my day to day business.

If they speak to me then I am receptive but apart from that they might as well not exist, and sometimes I'm not convinced they do exist :cheesy: