Bank account for married to Thai wife to obtain visa

In an earlier post I was trying to get info for getting married visa.

update:  I arrived and received voa for 30 days, paid 1900 Baht, received a 30 day extension.  Went back with all required paperwork 

and received 60 days. Based on marriage. Went to Bangkok bank to open an account for the 400,000 Baht. That was my third visit, bank said I was still on a tourist visa and no they would not open an account for me.

So if you cannot open an account, and immigration requires you to have 400,000 Baht in the bank to obtain the visa.  How can I navigate this problem..

2 minutes ago, KKmike said:

In an earlier post I was trying to get info for getting married visa.

update:  I arrived and received voa for 30 days, paid 1900 Baht, received a 30 day extension.  Went back with all required paperwork 

and received 60 days. Based on marriage. Went to Bangkok bank to open an account for the 400,000 Baht. That was my third visit, bank said I was still on a tourist visa and no they would not open an account for me.

So if you cannot open an account, and immigration requires you to have 400,000 Baht in the bank to obtain the visa.  How can I navigate this problem..

Try, try again.  Or get an agent to sponsor your request for account.

That is why it is often an advantage to obtain non immigrant O visa in your home country (if funds required they can be in home country) and then arrive on the non immigrant visa entry and obtain bank account and make transfers into it during 1st 30 days.  You may also be able to get such a visa in adjacent country without funds being in Thailand but not sure if that is current policy or not..

• Thumbs Up 1

My first reaction is to go to another bank. If this fails and you can't show proof from your embassy of  ฿40 000 a month, go back to Immigration and ask what they suggest. You might try a visa agent also, plenty of those rapscallions about.

• Haha 1

It IS possible to open a Thai bank account on an visa-exempt - but seems a lot of people have problems with this.  I went with my (Thai) wife to a local branch of Bangkok Bank (where my wife has an account) and my  account (my name only) opened no problems. Seems like you've got to hit the right flunky on the right day - good luck!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

It IS possible to open a Thai bank account on an visa-exempt - but seems a lot of people have problems with this.  I went with my (Thai) wife to a local branch of Bangkok Bank (where my wife has an account) and my  account (my name only) opened no problems.

When?

• Confused 1

If your wife has a friend or family member who works in Government , that will act as a guarantor , this might help!

My wife’s uncle who teaches, vouched  for me!

Edited by riclag

47 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Four years ago maybe

Seriously...

Read your posts and most are poor information.

I posted earlier current requirements to open a bank account from a visa exempt or tourist visa.

Your information is out of date and irrelevant. 

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

It also happens to be CORRECT. Sorry, who put you in charge?

I'm not familier with "visa - exempt", can you please explain? Otherwise I would feel compelled to hit my "confused" button :smile:

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, V8M8 said:

I'm not familier with "visa - exempt", can you please explain? Otherwise I would feel compelled to hit my "confused" button

it's the one month to stay you get  automatically when you arrive for EU citizens and others -  are you not in that category?

1 minute ago, nglodnig said:

it's the one month to stay you get  automatically when you arrive for EU citizens and others -  are you not in that category?

No, not EU and never heard of it. Thanks for the clarification nglodnig.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have gone to Bangkok bank in Khon Kaen with my Thai wife who has an account there.. I have been sending money from US to that account for years.. I’ve also had an account there several years ago. Bank tells me this is a new rule which started January this year. Bank not allowed to open an account for a person with any type of tourist visa?
I’ll go back to immigration and ask them how to solve this issue..

Before leaving the US I tried multiple times to do the online request for a visa without success. Tried calling the embassy in 

Washington, they never answer the phone.

Anyone know an agent in Khon Kaen?

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KKmike said:

I have gone to Bangkok bank in Khon Kaen with my Thai wife who has an account there.. I have been sending money from US to that account for years.. I’ve also had an account there several years ago. Bank tells me this is a new rule which started January this year. Bank not allowed to open an account for a person with any type of tourist visa?
I’ll go back to immigration and ask them how to solve this issue..

Before leaving the US I tried multiple times to do the online request for a visa without success. Tried calling the embassy in 

Washington, they never answer the phone.

Anyone know an agent in Khon Kaen?

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

they are feeding you a line of crap, there are NO new rules, they just don't want to do it is all..
and the fact you've funneled money thru your wife's bank account doesn't cut any ice with them in the least 

Just curious how could you NOT get a 90 day single entry Non-O visa from the US using the eVisa website for the consulate that serves your area where you lived in the US?

It's all ONLINE, you upload the documents, pay and they approve the visa and email you a PDF

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

In Bangkok it takes about 12 tries to open an account.

Disagree.

In Bangkok most banks will require a certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

Problem is that some embassies do not provide that service....

The certificate of residence from CW requires you to have made a TM47 report.

Not possible with visa exempt or tourist visa. 

The one possible exception is to purchase insurance policy from bank.

Bangkok bank being one example that "would you like fries with that"

For some reason it seems some agents have stopped providing this service. 

Thinking Siam Legal is one example.

@ThaiVisaCentre perhaps another.

Agents in Pattaya no problem.

Also possible to obtain a certificate of residence in many office outside of Bangkok without a TM47. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies 

I’ll try some other branches. Maybe ask the agent at Bangkok bank Khon Kaen to provide me with the written statement that says he is not allowed to open an account for me.  I know, making him loose face is not going to go well with him, but at this point I have nothing to loose.

Thanks and take care,

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, KKmike said:

Thanks for all the replies 

I’ll try some other branches. Maybe ask the agent at Bangkok bank Khon Kaen to provide me with the written statement that says he is not allowed to open an account for me.  I know, making him loose face is not going to go well with him, but at this point I have nothing to loose.

Thanks and take care,

Perhaps better to go with wife and have her ask if there is some way to obtain?  As said often buying type with insurance helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Disagree.

In Bangkok most banks will require a certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

Problem is that some embassies do not provide that service....

The certificate of residence from CW requires you to have made a TM47 report.

Not possible with visa exempt or tourist visa. 

The one possible exception is to purchase insurance policy from bank.

Bangkok bank being one example that "would you like fries with that"

For some reason it seems some agents have stopped providing this service. 

Thinking Siam Legal is one example.

@ThaiVisaCentre perhaps another.

Agents in Pattaya no problem.

Also possible to obtain a certificate of residence in many office outside of Bangkok without a TM47. 

Siam Legal informed me recently they open bank accounts if you are retiring in Thailand. 
You have to provide:

-Passport showing you are over 50 years old
-ID from your home country (ie. driving license)
-6 Months+ rental agreement or purchase of property in Thailand

Not sure if they open for non retirees. 

17 hours ago, nglodnig said:

It IS possible to open a Thai bank account on an visa-exempt - but seems a lot of people have problems with this.  I went with my (Thai) wife to a local branch of Bangkok Bank (where my wife has an account) and my  account (my name only) opened no problems. Seems like you've got to hit the right flunky on the right day - good luck!

As said take your wife and your marriage cert. and house book Try the 'yellow bank' Krungsri bank I have always found their staff much more friendly than the BKB. 

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Okay no matter what anyone on here OR at a bank branch you visited and couldn't get an account at believe me there are NO NEW BANKING LAWS as far as foreigners opening a bank account here on a 30 day free entry or a tourist visa entry or an extension from one of those  :shock1:

The RULES that control whether a foreigner can or can't open an account are made by the MANAGER of the branch you're standing inside of when you go to apply :sad:

It's nothing but a numbers game any more, hit enough banks and you WILL find one that will let you open an account. So my advice is put your big boy pants on, get out there and pound the pavement, bank after bank, branch after branch. In Bangkok it takes about 12 tries to open an account.

SO I can imagine in Nakhon Nowhere (aka Khon Kaen) it could take some traveling.. post on an Isaan or Khon Kaen related f/b page and ask, believe me you're not the first foreigner up there who needs to open a bank account  

Tod, 10 years on you are still talking this nonsense?

It is a well known FACT that most banks require a work permit to open a bank account. We argued about the same issue literlaly in 2011 on a defunct teachers forum when I tried to open a bank account and was told by a bank lawyer that there is an internal memo discouraging bank staff to open accounts on tourist visas due to money laundring.

Since then (2011) it has gotten a lot more diffucult to open an account.....you guessed it....due to various criminal elements operating in Thailand.

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Tod, 10 years on you are still talking this nonsense?

It is a well known FACT that most banks require a work permit to open a bank account. We argued about the same issue literlaly in 2011 on a defunct teachers forum when I tried to open a bank account and was told by a bank lawyer that there is an internal memo discouraging bank staff to open accounts on tourist visas due to money laundring.

Since then (2011) it has gotten a lot more diffucult to open an account.....you guessed it....due to various criminal elements operating in Thailand.

Been here 23 years, never had a WP, probably opened at least 6 accounts with various banks over those years, so i'd suggest you're the one talking pants.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Been here 23 years, never had a WP, probably opened at least 6 accounts with various banks over those years, so i'd suggest you're the one talking pants.

Not in bangkok. Maybe some third rate world class family resort like Pattaya and Hua Hin where old people hang out.

Edited by Celsius
  • Confused 1