Why Chinese tourists snub Thailand: New favourites revealed

webfact

20 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

While Thailand may want them (*their money), less Chinese means better treatment and lower prices for those of us who aren't Chinese. Don't legalize gambling! Taiwanese are great- they're basically like Japanese who speak Chinese :laugh: A lot of them are highly educated and well mannered. Bring 'em on!

I can't stand the Chinese tourists also.

I'd love a nice clean air-conditioned Sports Book though here in Issan.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Not one of the comments or the article mentions the actual reason that the Chinese are not coming to Thailand like they were before.

Thailand is on a list of countries around South East Asia which are unofficially 'banned' from travel outside of official tour groups. Unofficially being why some people are allowed to come and the masses are not.

This is the reason why they're not coming.

The Chinese wield their tourists like a weapon and this is the effect.

It's across many countries in South East Asia, not just Thailand.

Sources?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Where do they go instead?

Depends on the person, some counties I've seen mentioned in travel plans were Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia... Overall they seem to be travelling less post-Covid, but these are rich guys so money is not the reason. I think for most of them in the past they travelled to Thailand on a regular basis to party, but once that's stopped they haven't really replaced it with anything.

20 hours ago, peter2186 said:

Chinese tourists spent 543.7 Billion Baht in 2019, by far and away the biggest spenders in Thailand, maybe the fact that they are not welcomed influences their decision to vacation elsewhere in place like, I don't know Taiwan!!

The per capita number is probably more relevant. 

As is usual by those waving a red flag, you supply totals for many millions.

I did not see that they are not welcomed, they no longer need a Visa for example.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, IamNoone88 said:

Taiwanese are very nice and polite. No complaints about their behavioir.  Good country to visit.

Nice to hear, so do they not spit everywhere? do public toilets have water?  did you get out in the sticks?

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Thailand's faultering economy has been a self-inflicted wound.

Thailand exports of goods and services (G&S) in % of GDP in 2012 was about 69%.

2013 was marred by massive street anti-democratic (demand unconstitutional change in government by other than election) protests aimed at regime change through disruption/shutdown of many government functions to somewhat lower G&S to about 67%.

Following the May 2014 military coup GDP for G&S rose to about 68%, likely due to pro-military Street protests to back off their disruption of government functions.

Then the junta apparently redirected the Thai economy focused more on Chinese tourism, causing (perhaps impacted by the Covid pandemic) by a steep decline by 2020 GDP for G&S to about 21%. 

https://wits.worldbank.org

Exports of G&S in 2022 was about 66%.

By 2023Q3 fell 0.23%. In any case no recovery to the 2012 level with substantial increase in public debt.

Compare now the new 2023 government's economic priorities: tourism, more debt and long-term infrastructure.

The government needs more GDP innovation and action in the G&S sectors. Such needs may not agree with China.

International Tourism is an exported Service, within Goods and Services, G&S did not decline to 21% of GDP in 2020.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp

25 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

The question as to "Why Chinese tourists snub Thailand" was not addressed or mentioned in the article.  

Reactions to Thailand:

1st time: Bowled over with it

2nd visit: notice the undercurrents

3rd visit; not sure if will come back

Thailand has already marketed deep into third tier cities in the Chinese hinterland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Nice to hear, so do they not spit everywhere? do public toilets have water?  did you get out in the sticks?

It's a wonderful country. My daughter taught English there for a year. She took me on a round trip around the whole island. Spotless! The trains, buses, pavements, roads. Everything runs on time. Incredible food. Lovely people. And the Pacific ocean, not some cess pool. Cliffs, chasms, parks. And 30 day visa free stay.

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Reactions to Thailand:

1st time: Bowled over with it

2nd visit: notice the undercurrents

3rd visit; not sure if will come back

Thailand has already marketed deep into third tier cities in the Chinese hinterland.

I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect someone from China to visit Thailand 2 times, let alone 3, unless they own property here.  There are lots of countries that my spouse and I only plan to visit once.  For example, we visited Portugal and Spain last year and enjoyed both countries.  But, we saw about all we wanted to see so it's highly unlikely we will make a second trip to either one--there are too many other countries we want to see for the first time.   We've been to Australia,  and could go again, but we haven't been to New Zealand yet so we would probably choose to go there rather than make a second trip to Australia.

If I was still living in the US, with no ties to Thailand, I would likely just visit Thailand once, if at all.   A second visit to Asia would take me somewhere else new.  I think that's fairly normal for many travelers.  Lots of countries to see, limited time.  Luckily for Thailand, there are 1.4 billion Chinese.  Even if most Chinese choosing to visit Thailand only come once, that 1.4 billion should provide a steady stream of first-time visitors.   

On 12/14/2023 at 10:56 PM, peter2186 said:

find the comment that the Chinese tourists tended to frequent Chinese businesses, a bit strange

I find your comment more than a bit strange, open eyes, sure there are exceptions , but the facts are the facts.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

I wonder how many hotels in Thailand are owned by Chinese? In Jomtien there was one getting built in 2020,

and it is likely open by now.  I have to wonder how many Chinese are working in that Hotel with permits of course?

How many years it will take for the cost of the hotel to be paid off for their owners? I also wonder how many shares the

nese have in the buses that transport the Chinese tourist around the Pattaya area and other areas of Thailand?

So many questions.

23 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

I wonder how many hotels in Thailand are owned by Chinese? In Jomtien there was one getting built in 2020,

and it is likely open by now.  I have to wonder how many Chinese are working in that Hotel with permits of course?

How many years it will take for the cost of the hotel to be paid off for their owners? I also wonder how many shares the

nese have in the buses that transport the Chinese tourist around the Pattaya area and other areas of Thailand?

So many questions.

Instead of wondering, why don't you go to that supposedly Chinese-owned hotel in Jomtien and ask the manager how many of the employees are from China?  Then it's on to the tour bus companies.  How many of the drivers are from China?  And the mechanics and the rest of the staff?   While you're doing that I'll tackle the Holiday Inn and see if I can find out how many Americans they have cleaning the rooms and so on.  Together, we can get to the bottom of this!   Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, newnative said:

Instead of wondering, why don't you go to that supposedly Chinese-owned hotel in Jomtien and ask the manager how many of the employees are from China?  Then it's on to the tour bus companies.  How many of the drivers are from China?  And the mechanics and the rest of the staff?   While you're doing that I'll tackle the Holiday Inn and see if I can find out how many Americans they have cleaning the rooms and so on.  Together, we can get to the bottom of this!   Inquiring minds want to know!

Off topic but isn't Holiday Inn owned by IHG Group , UK based? So the cleaner will be from Nigeria and India!

• Haha 1

I dont understand the reason they are so obssesed with Chinese tourists. They are looking solely at visitor numbers rather than quality spending tourists. 

The problem with higher numbers is it will turn away higher spending tourists. 

Instead of focussing in on rip off practises, making the experience more pleasurable, gentrifying the main cities and making them less appealling was wrong - all we seem to get is an obsession with Chinese numbers.

The last thing you need is ZERO DOLLAR TOURISTS BACK. 

QUALITY not QUANTITY. 

• Agree 1

I dont understand the reason they are so obssesed with Chinese tourists. They are looking solely at visitor numbers rather than quality spending tourists. 

The problem with higher numbers is it will turn away higher spending tourists. 

Instead of focussing in on rip off practises, making the experience more pleasurable, gentrifying the main cities and making them less appealling was wrong - all we seem to get is an obsession with Chinese numbers.

The last thing you need is ZERO DOLLAR TOURISTS BACK. 

QUALITY not QUANTITY.