Will your foreign wife be able to join you in UK?

kwilco

On 12/19/2023 at 6:25 AM, kwilco said:

No apparently there are people already  living in the UK where the spouses  or children may have to be separated.

Cleverly brought this law in under the cover of other anti-immigration laws.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/10/james-cleverly-anti-immigration-policy-foreign-wife-tories-stewart-lee

Somewhat disingenuous,the measures leave open the possibility that aspect may be introduced but that does not apply now. Also he said it should be forward rather than backwards looking, strongly suggesting those already there under existing rules would not be affected in retrospect. 

Nonetheless UK does have a serious problem with UK nationals of foreign decent bringing in large families with no means to properly support them . There are exceptions where it causes hardship but yes the scenario of the retiree here bringing back just his wife gets caught up. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They are lowering the limit for now but will gradually increase it to 38k.

This measure only addresses a small amount of LEGAL  migration it does nothing to address people crossing the channel or illegal immigration.

It means that most British spouses will need to have a degree level job to afford to bring a foreign spouse to UK.

If you have already applied then the old minimum wage level applies. If you have been living abroad and married for years, your spouse will need to apply under the new level.

This will be 29k but rising to 39 later.

Most UK retirees are below these levels anyway

Edited by kwilco

7 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

Somewhat disingenuous,the measures leave open the possibility that aspect may be introduced but that does not apply now. Also he said it should be forward rather than backwards looking, strongly suggesting those already there under existing rules would not be affected in retrospect. 

Nonetheless UK does have a serious problem with UK nationals of foreign decent bringing in large families with no means to properly support them . There are exceptions where it causes hardship but yes the scenario of the retiree here bringing back just his wife gets caught up. 

The measures apply now...it is the income level that is changing.

It is a relatively small part of legal immigration that is being addressed..the numbers are small. It does not address any illegal immigration issues. Apart from making some spouses illegal in the future.

It does however affect some UK citizens who live in Thailand and may already have a Thai spouse and although married for many years, if they haven't applied yet to give their spouse residency will from the spring, find they have to jump a much higher hurdle.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:30 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Well, couple of thoughts.

Firstly I'm American, so it doesn't affect me, but it's kinda made me feel somewhat more kindly towards USCIS!

But on a serious note I'm assuming this shuts down any hope of most UK retirees in Thailand ever taking a family back to the UK, should circumstances ever make them need to repatriate?

Yes, certainly will.

Option B, make my way to France, put daughter in a Burka and come over in the back of a fruit and veg lorry!

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:35 AM, kwilco said:

Have you seen the changes being brought in this during?

You will need an i come of nearly £40k if you want your douse to join you in the UK.

Check out this measure introduced by R.H. Cleverly, MP

I knew Cleverly in another life a long time ago - thought he was a <deleted> then!

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, UK should never have left the EU. Just curious, what was the reasons before?

The EU is one of the reasons that immigration into the UK has been so high (via Schengen) but the main reason for leaving was to reclaim full sovereignty. The Conservatives ended up with an 80-seat majority but sadly have both mismanaged the Brexit process and immigration, as well as losing their huge majority. Now Captain Cameron of the (SS EU) has returned as Foreign Secretary! This has all been so bad I have to wonder if it was all intentional.

Now the EU seems to be finally reversing its liberal immigration policy, which means there was a problem and that the UK was right to vote to leave in 2016.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The measures apply now...it is the income level that is changing.

It is a relatively small part of legal immigration that is being addressed..the numbers are small. It does not address any illegal immigration issues. Apart from making some spouses illegal in the future.

It does however affect some UK citizens who live in Thailand and may already have a Thai spouse and although married for many years, if they haven't applied yet to give their spouse residency will from the spring, find they have to jump a much higher hurdle.

Looks like they revised down the money a bit:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67794032

But this is for foreign workers anyway.

8 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

This is exactly it. People who gain the right to live in the UK, then bring all their family over to live off the UK benefits system. That's the scenario they're trying to stop. 

Brits who want to bring their spouse to the UK should be exempt. But I guess the lefties might accuse the government of racism if they made exceptions for Brits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

The EU is one of the reasons that immigration into the UK has been so high (via Schengen) but the main reason for leaving was to reclaim full sovereignty. The Conservatives ended up with an 80-seat majority but sadly have both mismanaged the Brexit process and immigration, as well as losing their huge majority. Now Captain Cameron of the (SS EU) has returned as Foreign Secretary! This has all been so bad I have to wonder if it was all intentional.

Now the EU seems to be finally reversing its liberal immigration policy, which means there was a problem and that the UK was right to vote to leave in 2016.

You are confused/misinformed. Uk was never part of the Schengen Area/agreement,you had to be a full EU citizen to get in under EU  freedom of movement ,so Brexit really achieves nothing much in that respect. EU national settled in uk only had to make a simple application to stay which was a formality. A EU citizen can still come to the uk for 6 months in any year. In fact we now have MORE immigration from outside EU. Another misinformed brexiteer.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

The EU is one of the reasons that immigration into the UK has been so high (via Schengen) but the main reason for leaving was to reclaim full sovereignty.

Except the UK never was part of the Schengen area and we never lost our sovereignty.

10 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Except the UK never was part of the Schengen area and we never lost our sovereignty.

The Schengen regime allows freedom of movement within the EU and that's the main reason why people migrated or were trafficked to northern France so easily for years. After that, well it's just a short ride. This was all encouraged more by Mutti Merkel in 2015 and never slowed down. Now the EU is seeing so much kickback from major member states that it's finally reversing its ideas on immigration. 

The UK immediately lost full sovereignty in 1973, when it joined the EEC (Treaty of Rome), due to the obligations to fulfil the requirements of EEC/EC/EU Treaties and law, which have primacy in UK law. Successive treaties were not put to the people by way of referenda but these eroded away more and more sovereignty. The UK was about to lose even more but Brexit slowed down the EU steamroller in many ways.

On 12/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, VBF said:

I realise it won't help everyone but the alternative is if the Brit has enough savings to show in support of the foreigner's visa application. Then income doesn't matter.

I don't have the figures to hand but I presume the amount has increased along with the required income amount.  

If the calculation remains the same, then the cash savings requirement (currently 62.500 GBP) would be 88,500 GBP for a single dependant, higher if there are non-British children applying too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

If the calculation remains the same, then the cash savings requirement (currently 62.500 GBP) would be 88,500 GBP for a single dependant, higher if there are non-British children applying too.

It seems a little strange that, although I've seen the savings option mentioned, the new amount doesn't seem to have been announced.

18 hours ago, kwilco said:

Immigration has hugely increased since Brexit.

Should drop a bit over Christmas, Home for the Holidays

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1848407/asylum-seekers-christmas-exit-immigration

“We do find a lot of people who have claimed asylum in this country and are heading back to their home country for holidays which obviously isn’t allowed.”

THe government is now back-pedalling again  they won't introduce this until 2025.

THe principal is the same - if you are a British citizen fall in love and marry a foreigner the government tells you that they have no right to live in the UK unless you are in a minority high-income bracket.

Edited by kwilco

Yeah, shafted twice. They upped the price to 18,600 GBP just as i got married in Thailand. On a pension, so going to Uk which was being considered was out the window. And as another said, income was just getting to the 18,600 level and they have upped it again ... will probably die alone in the Uk if i end up having a long term terminal illness.

On 12/23/2023 at 12:35 PM, Seppius said:

Should drop a bit over Christmas, Home for the Holidays

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1848407/asylum-seekers-christmas-exit-immigration

“We do find a lot of people who have claimed asylum in this country and are heading back to their home country for holidays which obviously isn’t allowed.”

UK government have that completely ar53 about face, don't they?

The policy should be "You're welcome to go back to the country that was so unbearable that you had to leave and claim asylum, for a holiday or any other reason, but you don't then come back to UK ... ever".