How to translate a document written in Thai to English?

scorecard

I have an official response from a Thai government agency, obviously written in Thai. The copy of the document that I've received is a scanned copy rather than an original document.

I've tried to highlight the content so that I can run it through Google translate or similar to get an English version.  But the document won't allow me to highlight the content. So I guess the document is in PDF or similar format

I don't need an 'officially' perfect translation, just good enough to see the main points.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

I have an official response from a Thai government agency, obviously written in Thai. The copy of the document that I've received is a scanned copy rather than an original document.

I've tried to highlight the content so that I can run it through Google translate or similar to get an English version.  But the document won't allow me to highlight the content. So I guess the document is in PDF or similar format

I don't need an 'officially' perfect translation, just good enough to see the main points.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Print it and scan it again. Or take a photo and watch the automatic translation. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

With Google Translate set to Thai ~ English click on camera and hover over the document if you just want to read it.

IMG_2288.thumb.png.94c04be79981bb5143071b72f091d3b2.png

If you want a more permanent copy then take a photo as said above.

Thank you, it worked, I can immediately see the English translation on my phone.

And the bonus is that the English version is very positive in my favor in terms of the subject / issue  at hand.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kokesaat said:

With the google translate app active on your phone, you can take a pic of the scanned document and have it translated.

You can translate it direct without taking a photo. Use the camera button within Google translate but make sure you have the translation to/from correct. You need to set that as Thai to English.

• Like 1

I also use Google Lens App which is easy to use however when it comes down to important document translation from Thai to English the real information or understanding of the content is often misconstrued . Professional translators , who are adept at understanding the Thai content of a message or e.g. a contract award , can then show that in English , are employed .

Thus the term often used as " Lost in translation "  is avoided . But for a simple day to day jargon translation  Lens is good .

2 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

given the nonsense generated by thai to english online translators i'd get one of my thai friends to translate. if you don't have an educated thai friend proficient in english then pay for a professional translator.

Soooo true

I have used the Chulalonghorn University translation office in BKK several times with great satisfaction. 

They are very proficient with Thai documents as they have templates for common Thai documents like Marriage and Birth certificates.

The translated document looks very similar to the Thai original, unlike a Google translation.

You email them your document to be translated in PDF form or by Post and they'll respond with a quote and their bank account.

Must pay in advance.

Once paid they'll send you the translated document by email PDF or Post.

I did all my business with them by email PDF.

https://www.chula.ac.th/en/cu-services/academic-services/chalermprakiat-center-of-translation-and-interpretation/

Chalermprakiat Center of Translation and Interpretation

Faculty of ArtsChulalongkorn University

Chamchuri 6 Building

254 Phyathai Road, Pathumwan,
Bangkok 10330 

Edited by jayceenik

23 hours ago, jayceenik said:

I have used the Chulalonghorn University translation office in BKK several times with great satisfaction. 

They are very proficient with Thai documents as they have templates for common Thai documents like Marriage and Birth certificates.

The translated document looks very similar to the Thai original, unlike a Google translation.

You email them your document to be translated in PDF form or by Post and they'll respond with a quote and their bank account.

Must pay in advance.

Once paid they'll send you the translated document by email PDF or Post.

I did all my business with them by email PDF.

https://www.chula.ac.th/en/cu-services/academic-services/chalermprakiat-center-of-translation-and-interpretation/

Chalermprakiat Center of Translation and Interpretation

Faculty of ArtsChulalongkorn University

Chamchuri 6 Building

254 Phyathai Road, Pathumwan,
Bangkok 10330 

Translation and Interpretation Services Unit

Borommaratchakumari Building, 13th Floor, Room 1308
Tel: +66 2218 4635
Fax: +66 2218 4636
Email: transunit AT chula.ac.th

Edited by Rimmer
email edited

On 12/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, save the frogs said:

You should be able to cut and paste from the PDF file to google translate box, I believe. 

Only if the scan is put through OCR first to change from an image to recognizable text.

Like Adobe and other PDF editors there is an OCR option that you can choose to use with Thai language.

OP : If you want to PM me and I can probably process it for you. Handwritten Thai may not process well though.

Thanks for the many way to translate the document. I'm 79 yrs old less than 2 weeks from now, and way out of date, I didn't know so many options for this item existed. 

I've found a smartphone app which when activated I can pass the s'phone camera across the Thai text and it changes to English. For my needs right now just perfect.

Thanks again.