Quality Standards Set for New Year Gift Baskets

snoop1130

c6bb12a536b029f7febc24b9565bb776_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister’s Office Minister and Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB) Chair Puangpet Chunlaiad headed a policy meeting today (Dec 19), focusing on the proper labeling and quality assurance of New Year gift baskets.

Held at the Office of the Permanent Secretary, the meeting was attended by prominent business representatives from 10 major companies, including CP Extra, Big C Supercenter, Central Food Retail, and others. The primary agenda was to ensure that businesses do not compromise on product quality, especially during the high-demand New Year festival period.

The government, led by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, has expressed concern over the potential sale of substandard or near-expiry products in holiday gift baskets. To combat this, strict guidelines have been established, mandating clear labeling on gift baskets, including product names, types, manufacturer details, quantities, expiry dates, and other pertinent information.

Puangpet also urged businesses to consider including OTOP (One Tambon One Product) and health products in their gift baskets, a move that would support local communities and ensure equitable income distribution.

Consumers can seek assistance or lodge complaints via the 24/7 hotline number 1166, the OCPB Connect mobile application, and the OCPB’s official website at www.ocpb.go.th.

By Krajangwit Johjit

Full story: NNT 2023-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

There's a shortage of birds nests this year. The may have to substitute turtle products.

A nice turtle shell door stop. My Mrs dug up and kept the shell of a turtle I had for many years that died!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A nice turtle shell door stop. My Mrs dug up and kept the shell of a turtle I had for many years that died!

Which is another confusing fact. To a Brit a turtle is a marine reptile whereas a tortoise is a similar land reptile. Did you really keep a turtle?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s really good that they use the peoples money for such important things to control.

I think its actually a step in the right direction. When i got here 20 some years ago .h wife laughed at me when I wanted to return a faulty mouse for a refund after a day of use. She was right. The shop refused to replace or refund it. About 12-15 years ago, things started to change and warranties were actually starting to be honored.

Many gift baskets are sold at exhorbitant prices, are filled with strawand carboard and composed of items that are near their their sell by date.  Hopefully this opens the door to other changes in the crappy thai customer support and respect

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

has expressed concern over the potential sale of substandard or near-expiry products in holiday gift baskets. To combat this, strict guidelines have been established, mandating clear labeling on gift baskets, including product names, types, manufacturer details, quantities, expiry dates,

Makes sense. The 'cooked food' they put out at my local upscale market, is product that has been on the shelf for days. They cook it & try selling before it turns rancid.  They must do that or worse for the New Years baskets. 

I'm glad they are spending money on this very important issue, and don't leave it up to individuals to check what they are buying, I feel so much safer Knowing my Chicken essence is not out of date, I now have the hotline number 1166 on my speed dial just incase.     :giggle:           :post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Which is another confusing fact. To a Brit a turtle is a marine reptile whereas a tortoise is a similar land reptile. Did you really keep a turtle?

I certainly know the difference, I had tortoises as a kid. The turtle I had here was a freshwater one, it sort of came with the house I rented.. a red eared slider. At one time had 2, was given a male, but it was an aggressive little <deleted>. Still, it did the job and we had eggs that hatched 2  times. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I certainly know the difference, I had tortoises as a kid. The turtle I had here was a freshwater one, it sort of came with the house I rented.. a red eared slider. At one time had 2, was given a male, but it was an aggressive little <deleted>. Still, it did the job and we had eggs that hatched 2  times. 

More confusion. I have always called the freshwater critters 'terrapins'