Do you ever get any negativity from the locals when you attempt to speak Thai?

bob smith

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

What an interesting take on the subject, rejecting out of hand the language of the country you made your home to be in...

I kinda get where BMT is coming from.

maybe he's just been here so long that is patience has kinda run thin and he can't be doin with an bs! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm only here for the cheap housing and the cheap woman.

It happens to be Thailand, but beyond simple commerce I have no reason to interact with the locals.

Same when I lived in Cornwall.

preach it BMT!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nikmar said:

probably - I dont live in Pattaya. :)

I remember walking into a 7 11 near my home and the look of terror on the poor young lady serving at the prospect of having to deal with a farang turned, disarmingly, into a smile when i asked for cigarettes in Thai.

I think a lot of thai folk appreciate any effort to speak Thai by foriegners. I am nowhere near fluent by the way. I speak just the bare minimum to get by. 

I live in Pattaya. The girls in the local 7-11 only speak to me in Thai now. It sometimes surprises other customers. I frequently get asked how long I've been in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

Fair enough, however cheap housing and food i tend to agree, but cheap women? used to be 20 or so years ago,

not so much now though...

there are still bargains to be had out there mate!

just need to shop around a bit more

so ive been told anyway.... :D 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

there are still bargains to be had out there mate!

just need to shop around a bit more

so ive been told anyway.... :D 

Woe is me if i have to go look for cheap women at my age, but i'm not judging...

I am in CNX and most of the time the reaction has been laughter(like laughing at me).  I can never get the tonal inflection right on many Thai words.  So now I speak mostly English. I guess the only way to master the Thai language would be to spend months in a small town or village where English is not spoken.  Did not have this problem learning Korean.  I even studied Dari and Arabic and most understood what I was saying.  But as always "TIT".  

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

I am in CNX and most of the time the reaction has been laughter(like laughing at me).  I can never get the tonal inflection right on many Thai words.  So now I speak mostly English. I guess the only way to master the Thai language would be to spend months in a small town or village where English is not spoken.  Did not have this problem learning Korean.  I even studied Dari and Arabic and most understood what I was saying.  But as always "TIT".  

Eventually it will come if you pay attention to the tones. I still have a LOT of trouble with the words for near and far which sound similar.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

im thinking about taking a Thai course in the new year to perfect my speaking and possibly reading.

These days I dont like to show off that I can speak thai,

especially in tourist ghettos as I have had many thais tell me in the past that foreigners who can speak thai are no good.

Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of negativity?

these days I am very cautious about using thai in front of thais,

many of them dont like the fact that a foreigner can speak their lingo.

bob.

Only people who want to rip off foreigners don't like them to speak Thai. Hookers and pimps have a greater percentage that belong to that group than average.

• Like 2