Are farangs inadvertently colonizing Thailand?

bob smith

15 hours ago, GypsyT said:

So has USA during Vietnam war. They just kept low profile but were free to build air force bases where ever they wanted. Smart move by Thais...

"At the height of the war, some 50,000 American military personnel (mostly Air Force) were stationed throughout Thailand. Thai entrepreneurs built scores of new hotels, restaurants and bars to serve the waves of free-spending American G.I.s, causing foreign funding to flow into the country."

So on that basis, you'd count New Zealand and Australia as being colonised as well? We have very different interpretations.

"At any one time between June 1942 and mid-1944 there were between 15,000 and 45,000 American servicemen in camp in New Zealand."

"The first Americans arrived in Brisbane on 22 December 1941, and by mid 1943 the number in Australia had risen to 150,000"

4 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Wow, where to begin with your creative fantasy. 

The French occupation of Chanthaburi involved a garrison of approximately 400 troops, some at Laem Sing (entrance to Chanthaburi river) the balance in Chantaboon on the site of the existing fortress in what is now the Taksin military camp.

Definitely no 'colonisation' it was a political statement.

The French were not forced out by the Japanese, or Nazis for that matter!.

The French departed in 1906 after agreement was reached over land borders.

The annual commemoration of their departure takes place at the 'peace chedi' in Laem Sing next month.

The impact of their time here - their barracks (Tuak Daeng) at Laem Sing - housing about 40 soldiers - still exists, it was the Laem Sing library but currently vacant. Their seven small buildings remain inside the military camp and were renovated between 2011-14.

The Catholic church was rebuilt in French gothic style in Chantanamit and completed 1909 on the same site as the previous four Catholic churches, the first chapel being built there in 1711; we attended their 300th anniversary 2011. That's  182 years before the French occupation.

There's an office of the National Archives here, adjacent to the Chanthaburi Immigration building opposite the military camp if you care to learn some real history.

You are using the Thai version of history.  At the time Thailand extended into what is now Cambodia and Laos, and that region was colonised by the French as well as Chanthaburi.  And it was in the 1940's that Thailand had its 'Victory' over the French.

So we can disagree on scale and the dates, but Thailand has been colonised.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

Oh well in that case its suppose to be ok?  Not hardly 

Put a sock in it Dan, christ.

for someone who apparently hates my guts you sure do love replying to my posts!!!

Edited by bob smith

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Put a sock in it Dan, christ.

for someone who apparently hates my guts you sure do love replying to my posts!!!

Never said hate your guts.  Just call out your bs posts that's all. Your not required to read my replies. But you post in a public forum then you get replies.  Don't post if you don't like what people reply

On 12/24/2023 at 7:25 AM, gomangosteen said:

The first Americans arrived in Brisbane on 22 December 1941, and by mid 1943 the number in Australia had risen to 150,000"

That's it! Answer why Queenslanders are said to be crazy.... in good way -:)

I also remember INDY teams were so sad when racing at Surfers Paradise stopped. They loved local ladies...

• Thumbs Up 1