Monk Killed While Crossing a Road in Chonburi

webfact

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite poor reporting, the accident was about 20km NE of Pattaya.

The 331 is a very fast road and at around 6 in the morning the light would not have been good. The monk has probably done it for years on end and his luck just run out. RIP.

And wearing brown in that light is just stupid, dawn and dusk are the worse visibility times of the day.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

It said he didn't see as there was a car towards his left , I'm wondering if the car on the left hand slowed down or stopped ?

Now imagine this , your in a side street coming out ,there is 2 lanes ,a car stops in the left lane to wave you out ......be careful this is how accidents happen !

I always remember a bus in Pattaya doing this on third road ,waving me out to cross ,lucky I looked again as I was Crossing in front of the bus because cars were speeding past in the 2nd lane !!!!!

Stopping on a highway with fast moving traffic for a pedestrian to cross would be very dangerous to all, :post-4641-1156694572:

• Agree 1

If the driver didn't see him because of the car on his left then the monk could not have seen him, very stupid to cross and those frocks are not made for walking fast, and probably carrying his begging bowl, wearing dark clothing at dawn, how can they blame the driver

If you look at the picture you will see yet another of those self made crossings in the ditch that M/C use no doubt heading for that. then cross another busy fast 2 lanes if he had made it. Sorry Monk or not STUPID can not be cured.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not in mine a highway is not a Motorway or Expressway as called here. yes crossing them is suicided.

so i guess question is. is it illegal for the monk to cross the roadway in question. had this been an incident back home on a 400 series highway it is totally illegal for the monk to be there.  

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, tandor said:

Mr. Watcharesuan Naonongwai needs to re-sit his color blindness and brake reaction test.  RIP Phra

for the 'confused' people; my reply implies any driver concentrating on his journey should be able to see a person dressed in bright orange crossing in font of them and take evasive action.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, stoner said:

I notice you left out if it was illegal to walk on a motorway aka highway back home. I notice you only mentioned roads when walking.

For any 2 situations if one is said to be  negative it can be taken that the other  is positive.

• Confused 1

There is such a callous disregard for public safety here. I wonder if the monk even looked at oncoming traffic before he attempted to cross the highway? My guess is that he didn't.

I see so many people crossing the road here without even looking, no regard to safety, same applies to motorcycles and cars cutting in front of oncoming traffic, they barely look before they lunge ahead. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

What do you mean by "highway"

There are no "highways" in the UK, only motorways and roads and it is not illegal to walk across roads.

The 331 runs from Korat to Sattahip and designated as AH19 indicating it is part of the Asian Highway network but that is a route number rather than an indication of the road status, unlike Expressways and Motorways which are toll Highways.

I have travelled it many times, particularly the northern section and pedestrians are far from unusual. In some parts the carriageways are 4 lanes making it extremely dangerous to cross.

Your last sentence reminded me....circa 1989, I met a girl in Rome.

She said the best way to cross a 5 lane highway was to walk straight and cars would go around you.

Strangely I never saw her again.

I only did it once. No doubt Thailand drivers would not be so obliging.🙃🙃

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tandor said:

for the 'confused' people; my reply implies any driver concentrating on his journey should be able to see a person dressed in bright orange crossing in font of them and take evasive action.

That is the whole point even if he had been wearing a reflective Fluorescent vest, he still wouldn't have seen him in time, he stepped out into the right lane of fast moving traffic, from a car passing him in the left lane, to your logic he should have seen a white car coming. And those frocks are not "BRIGHT" orange only when new, some wear almost brown. 

How can you walk fast in one of these and I would say carrying his begging bowl.

52f67c145c0a53e83a39d9040921b391.jpg.b8bde08578b690b54150e398d5e1a3e6.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, brianthainess said:

That is the whole point even if he had been wearing a reflective Fluorescent vest, he still wouldn't have seen him in time, he stepped out into the right lane of fast moving traffic, from a car passing him in the left lane, to your logic he should have seen a white car coming. And those frocks are not "BRIGHT" orange only when new, some wear almost brown. 

How can you walk fast in one of these and I would say carrying his begging bowl.

Dangerous, at this time of year it would still have been dark at that time. Although there is no mention that the traffic in the other lanes was actually still moving, seems unlikely if the monk was able to walk past them... I have seen traffic in Thailand stop to let monks cross often. I recall I once stopped to let an old and heavily laden man cross ahead of me... I now do that more cautiously, as that one time, a motorcycle undertook me and hit him!

On 12/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, Lucky Bones said:

Your last sentence reminded me....circa 1989, I met a girl in Rome.

She said the best way to cross a 5 lane highway was to walk straight and cars would go around you.

Strangely I never saw her again.

I only did it once. No doubt Thailand drivers would not be so obliging.🙃🙃

First time I went to Vietnam in 2005 I wouldn't have been able to cross the road if not for my wife. She had been working there for a couple of years and would just walk out, motorbikes parted like the Red Sea, no cars in those days to worry about.