Electric Water Heater

CapraIbex

Listen up @CapraIbex. By the time you've weighed up all the possible options. Figured out the logistics. Done all the costings. Found a suitable person to do the installation (that's probably your biggest challenge) the cold spell will be over and you'll have forgotten all about it. 

I've been going through this every winter for the last 5 years. What I do now is to wait until the afternoon when the water and the air temp is at its peak, man up a bit and just get done with. I only take one shower a day when the weather is cool like this so it's no problem for me.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Listen up @CapraIbex. By the time you've weighed up all the possible options. Figured out the logistics. Done all the costings. Found a suitable person to do the installation (that's probably your biggest challenge) the cold spell will be over and you'll have forgotten all about it. 

I've been going through this every winter for the last 5 years. What I do now is to wait until the afternoon when the water and the air temp is at its peak, man up a bit and just get done with. I only take one shower a day when the weather is cool like this so it's no problem for me.

That may work for you and your plumbing. With us it doesn’t as the storage tank is in the roof so daily temperature changes have no noticeable effect

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That may work for you and your plumbing. With us it doesn’t as the storage tank is in the roof so daily temperature changes have no noticeable effect

Yes, that would be a problem. Our water comes straight from the main supply. No tank, no pump. So for us it works. There's something to be said for simplicity at times.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

No tank, no pump. So for us it works. There's something to be said for simplicity at times.

I agree that sometimes simplicity is good, however our tanks and plumbing means that we can virtually never be unable to get water. It would have to be over a month of the village water being cut. We also are always able to shower. It would have to be several days of power-cut to exhaust the ready-use tank in the roof. So the one downside is that the roof tank isn’t sun warmed, but we could add a tank on a flat roof we have and connect the already installed warm water plumbing.

I would be far more likely to get round to making a passive solar heated system, I already have a design and some of the plumbing, it is just my supply of rountuits has never got high enough to be top priority.

All in all the benefits of my setup vastly outweigh the single downside.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 12/25/2023 at 6:52 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

That is certainly one reasonable way to power them. However a non electric version would probably be far more economical hear due to hot sun.

One could go that way but the cost difference is massive.

49 minutes ago, bluejets said:

One could go that way but the cost difference is massive.

That is an incorrect statement. I have a design, copied from a Nepalese builder that is around ฿15,000 for the deluxe version, probably under ฿10,000 for a smaller one.

You are probably basing your assumption of cost on the use of vacuum tube versions that are required in higher latitudes and are north of ฿60,000.

We are in a latitude where a far more simple, probable un-pumped, setup can do an adequate job.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:54 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

I can virtually guarantee there is no functional difference, it is just the form factor

Ordered one of each and paid the heaters yesterday morning of Boonthavorn via lazada. They just advised the delivery will be this afternoon. A surprising quick and efficient process from ordering to delivery.