Phuket taxi driver drives away foreign woman over air conditioning dispute

webfact

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

As reported in the OP, he took her to her hotel free of charge.

Which puts into question the sanity of a woman who'd get into a taxi again after calling the police about being ejected from it. Would you ride with the driver again?! Just another case of a crazy one looking for drama and getting it.

4 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

I was recently ejected from a taxi because I asked to turn the bleeding loud Thai radio station down. Not off, just volume down. He preferred to listen to the radio. grrrrrrrrr!!!

In Bangkok very common; driving like a zombie (appearing like he's on drugs), loud music on, checking 35x (or so) the GPS, but still no clue how to get from A to B...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

I was recently ejected from a taxi because I asked to turn the bleeding loud Thai radio station down. Not off, just volume down. He preferred to listen to the radio. grrrrrrrrr!!!

A shot of this before exiting the cab would be the best revenge in such a situation. 

Bruine_stopfles_met_label_“TINCT._IPECAC.”,_objectnr_40295-A-B.jpg

49 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Thai taxi drivers are useless tossers.  The most mundane simple job in the world and they can't do it.

Sadly, having used taxis in Thailand over the past 26 years, I'd say, at least 85% are! - Many scammers, and also many who couldn't find a hole in their socks, never mind a destination (other than 'Aee pot', or a few select landmarks)...

39 minutes ago, stoner said:
49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So might you if you think that what was shown in that video constitutes assault under Thai law.

proof please. 

You posted...

"you might want to check what constitutes assault then".

"The Thai penal Code...for "assault", not " bodily njury" Q.E.D.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Google "assault under Thai law".  I'm sure you know how to do it, I'm a too busy to do your research.

i did lou.

Assault means an unlawful act for physical harm, threat, or attempt to do physical harm. It is a civil and criminal crime and can be filed in civil court as well as criminal court.

https://siamgp.com/practice-areas/criminal-litigation/serious-assault-and-homicide/

scroll down a tad lou you can see and read where it talks about section 295 as i pointed out earlier. 

Edited by stoner

6 hours ago, webfact said:

2012-26-1.jpg

A Thai taxi driver faced criticism for a viral video of him chasing away a foreign passenger by pulling her out of his cab. The driver defended himself saying the foreign woman kicked his car door over an air conditioning dispute.

The Facebook page, โหดจัง จังหวัดภูเก็ต (meaning so brutal, Phuket province), shared a video when a Thai taxi driver pulling a foreign woman out of his cab at a petrol station on December 24 with the caption saying…

“This happened at the Bang Chak Petrol Station on Bypass Road in Phuket. What happened there? A witness shared this video with the page’s administrator.

This is destroying the image of the country and also the image of Phuket taxis. This foreign woman already reported the matter to the police. We are waiting for more details on the story.”

The video shows the taxi driver opening the left door of his car and pulling the female passenger out. The passenger could not resist him and got out of the car with her bag. The driver tried to get all of her belongings out of his car before the video was cut.

The Facebook page later shared a video of the taxi driver clarifying the incident yesterday, December 25. The driver said he had to drive the foreign woman away because she caused a scene after complaining about the air conditioning.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ โหดจัง จังหวัดภูเก็ต

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

I would have kicked her out also. 😎

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, NE1 said:

I was in Hat Yai once and the driver wanted 10 baht extra to turn the a/c on in the vehicle..

Come to think about that was very common place 12 years ago 15 years ago they all wanted to charge you extra for having the air conditioning on

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

Yeah, happened to me one time. Probably about 20 years ago.   We refused to get out of the taxi.  It was late and we had traveled 24 hours.  No way were we getting out of the taxi.   And yes, it still goes on.  I had an AIrBNB condo for rent before the pandemic.  Happened to at least 3 of our customers, that I know of.    

I didn't get out of the taxi, they came out to the car, 

Just another day in poo-ket paradise... what you need to try to do is try to outwit them... i would have just rolled all the rear windows down. Stay tuned as the PM plans a trip to the island to get to the bottom of this, and issues a directive to taxi drivers to "be nice" :laugh:

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You posted...

"you might want to check what constitutes assault then".

"The Thai penal Code...for "assault", not " bodily njury" Q.E.D.

If only she knew to throw herself to the floor when he pulled her out and fake neck or back injury haha.. Then could charge the driver with assault.. hmm

• Confused 1

For once I am siding with the taxi driver. The passenger handled the situation badly. Stupidly, I'd say. The taxi driver probably needed the cold air by his seat to stay awake after driving around for many hours. Anyone who drives in Thailand knows that you often need cool air to drive safely.

Edited by renaissanc

Nothing as bad as being in a taxi with no ac on , I’ve seen it several times where the taxi driver thinks it ok to leave the car at 30 plus degrees while I’m in the back seat baking away , I always ask politely to make it cooler 99 % of the time the  driver is happy enough to cooperate, I rem once years ago where a taxi driver would not turn on the meter after leaving the airport in bangkok even though we got it from an official taxi rank there 

This is destroying the image of the country and also the image of Phuket taxis. 

As if this country would have no other problems ....... Phuket taxis, like the brethren in Bangkok and Pattaya, are nothing short of a mafia-style operation and would need a proper clean-up. And if you're at it, clean up the police as well and once that's done, carry on the good work into the government and hammer it into those pirks, that the government is elected by voters and hence the government and its subbranches (like Police etc.) are there to serve the majority of the electorate  - me thinks. 

6 hours ago, connda said:

I've lived here 16+ years now and I can honestly state that this one instance isn't "destroying the image of Phuket taxis" but on the contrary, it's the reoccurrance of Thais physically attacking tourists, making this an accurate representation of the Phuket Taxi Problem that has existed since I first arrived and probably will be an issue until international tourists wake up to the realities of Thai-on-tourist violence as well as the dangers of Thai roads in general in that area, and begin to avoid Phuket to the point where the economy is impacted.  What expat here doesn't know the Phuket taxi mafi stories?  You'd need to be living under a rock.
Regarding "destroying the image of the country?"  Yeah.  That is true.  Just look at the impact of violence such as this - a Thai man physically assaulting and pulling a foreign women out of his car.  I find it revolting just like other instances of Thai-on-foreigner violence that leads to death and injuries.
These instances are paid lip-service by Thai politicos, but the actual problem is obviously still a problem, and if history is any indicators it will continue to be a problem in the future.

In the meanwhile - blame the tourist.

As Meat Loaf would say if he was alive. You took the words fight out of mouth. Taxi drivers on Phuket have NO reputation to maintain they lost it over 25 years ago. Problem is the administration and police are in fear of the Taxi Mafia. Bang this moron up for 6 months and maybe just maybe a lesson might be learnt. I doubt it though.