Swedes in Thailand: Holiday Nightmare

webfact

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

That's the progression from standing on chairs! :thumbsup:

guess i missed that part while i was waiting safely in the water. i got off the boat when i realized that i might be standing on a chair soon waiting for someone to cut the roof off.

• Confused 1

One of the reports (of the many recent boat incidents), mentioned over 70 passengers in a speedboat. Either they got the category wrong and it was something bigger, or it was overladen. 

Thailand seems to have got off lightly with respect to these incidents... many tourists from particular countries, do not swim well at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Well, except for when a number of Chinese were drowned, which put a dent in arrival figures for a while - until another little problem like someone from China being shot dead by a kid while she was shopping came along. That didn't go down too well either in Beijing.

I was thinking of those of the past few days... agreed things have been worse, wasn't there also the Koh Larn ferry incident once. No lessons learned I suspect. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I was thinking of those of the past few days... agreed things have been worse, wasn't there also the Koh Larn ferry incident once. No lessons learned I suspect. 

Learned??? What's that??? Is there a cost involved???

The old, bigger and IMO safer Tigerline ferries serving these transfers were retired and now it seems all the transfers are done with speedboats. These are fairly small, I would say most are fibreglass made, with a couple of powerful engines and a lot of passengers packed in...looks like a sea bus. With high speed and high waves the boat will thrash into the water with high force, so this one probably either had a building defect, was overloaded, or was going too fast in high waves in order to break.

We were early this year in the area with expedition sea kayak, we lost 5 rivet joints from constant thrashing in high waves.

Hopefully they got the passengers' possessions in dry bags, otherwise all the passports and phones would be gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1