Fears of regional escalation as Israel warns of ‘multi-front’ war

CharlieH

image.png

Israel is engaged in a “multi-front war”, its defence minister has said, hinting at military operations across the Middle East as the war in Gaza showed new signs of a dangerous regional escalation.

Speaking in parliament on Tuesday, Yoav Gallant said Israel was “coming under attack from seven theatres: Gaza, Lebanon, Syria, Judea and Samaria [an Israeli term for the West Bank], Iraq, Yemen and Iran”.

“We have already responded and taken action in six of these theatres,” he told the Knesset, without specifying.

Iran-allied militias around the Middle East have attacked Israel and US military installations across the region since Hamas launched its devastating attack on southern Israel on 7 October, killing 1,140 people and taking up to 250 hostage.

Israel’s retaliatory war on the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip has already become one of the most destructive conflicts of the 21st century, with estimates suggesting more than 20,600 people have been killed, 55,000 injured, and 85% of the Palestinian territory’s 2.3 million people forced to flee their homes.

Fighting in the 41km-by-12km (25 mile-by-7 mile) territory has intensified since a seven-day ceasefire collapsed at the beginning of December. Israeli forces continued to bombard refugee camps in the centre of the strip for a fourth day on Tuesday, in an apparent sign of its promised broadening of the offensive.

A total of 241 people had been killed and 382 injured over the past 24 hours, the health ministry in Gaza said on Tuesday afternoon. The ministry does not differentiate between civilian and combatant casualties, but about 70% of the toll is estimated to be women and children.

Gallant’s comments on Tuesday came as the war in Gaza threatened to spill outside the borders of Israel and the Palestinian territories. Earlier in the day, Egypt said a drone was shot down near the Red Sea resort city of Dahab, the second such occurrence in a month.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

That's just an alarmist headline. In effect, nothing really changed for weeks now. Every now and then someone miscalculates, goes out of line and then there's a reaction and things go back to the norm. Most of this talk is to signal opponents to keep within bounds or else. Pretty much standard issue stuff.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Fighting in the 41km-by-12km (25 mile-by-7 mile) territory has intensified since a seven-day ceasefire collapsed at the beginning of December. Israeli forces continued to bombard refugee camps in the centre of the strip for a fourth day on Tuesday, in an apparent sign of its promised broadening of the offensive.

Another 7 day ceasefire was offered by Israel in exchange for more hostages/prisoners a few days ago, Hamas refused. Looks like they have no intention to stop using Gazans as human shields

Great plan, opening a war on 7 fronts.

I think that if the USA and defending Israel they may well be looking at US troops coming home in body bags.

That would not be a good idea as the US forces are already heavily extended in Asia with Taiwan, the Philippine's, China and N Korea, in the Arab Gulf, and the Red Sea with Yemen, with NATO and Russia (but no troops on the ground and the Ukraine, as well as their normal commitments.

I addition 2024 is an election year in the USA and the Democrats have the gop with Trump (and all his court cases) snapping at their heels. Many younger voters who would have voted Democrat are unhappy and have nowhere to go,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67808808

• Confused 2

54 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think that if the USA and defending Israel they may well be looking at US troops coming home in body bags.

That would not be a good idea as the US forces are already heavily extended in Asia with Taiwan, the Philippine's, China and N Korea, in the Arab Gulf, and the Red Sea with Yemen, with NATO and Russia (but no troops on the ground and the Ukraine, as well as their normal commitments.

I addition 2024 is an election year in the USA and the Democrats have the gop with Trump (and all his court cases) snapping at their heels. Many younger voters who would have voted Democrat are unhappy and have nowhere to go,

Wouldn't that be great. 

• Confused 2

Iran’s Guard Corps: Hamas Oct. 7 attack was revenge for killing of Soleimani in 2020

https://www.timesofisrael.com/irans-guard-corps-hamas-oct-7-attack-was-revenge-for-killing-of-soleimani-in-2020/

I don't know whether it was or wasn't, but that's not a very careful remark. Considering Iran seems taken by surprise the morning of the attack (and subsequent comments basically amounting to 'good luck, you're on your own'), maybe just changing the narrative some. But either way - not doing themselves any favors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

People, especially politicians, need to look at their countries military as an elastic band.

It can be stretched and stretched a fair amount but the band gets thinner at every stretch. Eventually the rubber band will snap and be lost to its purpose.

Fighting any war on a single front is not too hard, on 2 fronts you need to split your forces and all the logistics that go to keeping your military supplied. Both the Allied and Axis forces in WW2 found that out.

Fighting seven enemies at once is madness.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

People, especially politicians, need to look at their countries military as an elastic band.

It can be stretched and stretched a fair amount but the band gets thinner at every stretch. Eventually the rubber band will snap and be lost to its purpose.

Fighting any war on a single front is not too hard, on 2 fronts you need to split your forces and all the logistics that go to keeping your military supplied. Both the Allied and Axis forces in WW2 found that out.

Fighting seven enemies at once is madness.

@billd766

While beating the same drum regardless of facts is...?

This is about Israel facing threats from multiple fronts, not about Israel seeking to start war on multiple fronts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

Iran’s Guard Corps: Hamas Oct. 7 attack was revenge for killing of Soleimani in 2020

https://www.timesofisrael.com/irans-guard-corps-hamas-oct-7-attack-was-revenge-for-killing-of-soleimani-in-2020/

I don't know whether it was or wasn't, but that's not a very careful remark. Considering Iran seems taken by surprise the morning of the attack (and subsequent comments basically amounting to 'good luck, you're on your own'), maybe just changing the narrative some. But either way - not doing themselves any favors.

This has just hastily been denied by Hamas, so its really up in the air at the moment.

The statement causes so much anger in the Palestinian discourse over the possibility that 20,000 Palestinians were sacrificed to meet the Iranian objectives, that Hamas was forced to issue a rare public denial of the revolutionary guards statements.

Urgent | Hamas Movement: We deny the validity of what was stated by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard spokesman regarding the Al-Aqsa Flood operation and its motives

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

From the OP:

"Yoav Gallant said Israel was “coming under attack from seven theatres"

You have it the wrong way round.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This has just hastily been denied by Hamas, so its really up in the air at the moment.

The statement causes so much anger in the Palestinian discourse over the possibility that 20,000 Palestinians were sacrificed to meet the Iranian objectives, that Hamas was forced to issue a rare public denial of the revolutionary guards statements.

Urgent | Hamas Movement: We deny the validity of what was stated by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard spokesman regarding the Al-Aqsa Flood operation and its motives

The Iranians are patently lying here. Hamas is a Sunni organisation. No friends of the IRG.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

I leave all options open and wait for further evidence either way

Obviously I don't really know the truth anymore than you do but since Hamas deny doing it in response to the killing of an Iranian general, it seems ridiculous to consider that Hamas care one whit about that general. Note that Iran and the IRG have not weighed in on Hamas' side in this war. Nor has Hezbollah beyond a few skirmishes but nothing close to what they are capable of. Hamas' allies are in the Sunni world, not Shia. If it were true, why would Hamas hide that? It would not have been a secret for a start, they would have proclaimed that at the time.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The Iranians are patently lying here. Hamas is a Sunni organisation. No friends of the IRG.

My enemies enemy is my friend. Iran has provided support for Hamas for many years. Following is an interesting article concerning Iran and Israel:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/12/04/iran-hamas-gaza-israel-regional-war/

• Thanks 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

Obviously I don't really know the truth anymore than you do but since Hamas deny doing it in response to the killing of an Iranian general, it seems ridiculous to consider that Hamas care one whit about that general. Note that Iran and the IRG have not weighed in on Hamas' side in this war. Nor has Hezbollah beyond a few skirmishes but nothing close to what they are capable of. Hamas' allies are in the Sunni world, not Shia. If it were true, why would Hamas hide that? It would not have been a secret for a start, they would have proclaimed that at the time.

Probably best not to jump the gun with your previous statement then

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Iran has supplied millions a year to Hamas, one of its largest funders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

@ozimoron

Again, speaking confidently while not having a clue. Do tell, who are them allies of Hamas in the Sunni World? Or how do you explain Iran's and Hezbollah aid, connections and funding to Hamas over the years?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Probably best not to jump the gun with your previous statement then

Iran has supplied millions a year to Hamas, one of its largest funders. 

Can you explain why it's apparently a secret that Hamas committed an atrocity largely in support of an Iranian general?

• Confused 2

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

I never said I could, can you? Let me know if you can.

My point is that whole notion is ridiculous.  Hamas did not commit an atrocity in support of the killing of an Iranian general. They committed the atrocities because of their long running hatred of Israel, it's as simple as that. Until now, that's the exact message you have subscribed to, why change now?

• Confused 2

Just now, ozimoron said:

My point is that whole notion is ridiculous.  Hamas did not commit an atrocity in support of the killing of an Iranian general. They committed the atrocities because of their long running hatred of Israel, it's as simple as that. Until now, that's the exact message you have subscribed to, why change now?

Round in circles, your point and claim was:

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The reality:

“Not only did the Hamas attack come straight out of the Hezbollah playbook, but Iran has funded, trained, and armed both Hamas and Hezbollah for decades, investing billions of dollars over time in these groups in support of their terrorist activities,” wrote one speaker at a congressional hearing Thursday on terror funding.

“Ultimately, Iran is fundamentally complicit in Hamas and Hezbollah’s terrorist acts.”

https://www.acfcs.org/unraveling-a-complex-web-a-primer-on-hamas-funding-sources-iranian-support-global-connections-and-compliance-concerns-considerations

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Round in circles, your point and claim was:

The reality:

“Not only did the Hamas attack come straight out of the Hezbollah playbook, but Iran has funded, trained, and armed both Hamas and Hezbollah for decades, investing billions of dollars over time in these groups in support of their terrorist activities,” wrote one speaker at a congressional hearing Thursday on terror funding.

“Ultimately, Iran is fundamentally complicit in Hamas and Hezbollah’s terrorist acts.”

https://www.acfcs.org/unraveling-a-complex-web-a-primer-on-hamas-funding-sources-iranian-support-global-connections-and-compliance-concerns-considerations

I'm not suggesting that Iran has not supported Hamas. Most of their support has come from Qatar and Sunni countries. That Hamas copy Hezbollah tactics should not come as a surprise to anybody but it is indicative of nothing. My comment was restricted narrowly to this particular claim, not the wider question of whether Iran supports Hamas to which I agree. Their religious differences do drive a wedge between them. They are allies because they both oppose Israel.  "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". This Muslim phrase perfectly encapsulates their relationship.

• Confused 3

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not suggesting that Iran has not supported Hamas. Most of their support has come from Qatar and Sunni countries. That Hamas copy Hezbollah tactics should not come as a surprise to anybody but it is indicative of nothing. My comment was restricted narrowly to this particular claim, not the wider question of whether Iran supports Hamas to which I agree. Their religious differences do drive a wedge between them. They are allies because they both oppose Israel.  "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". This Muslim phrase perfectly encapsulates their relationship.

I'm not suggesting that Iran has not supported Hamas.

I never said you were, its clear what I said, "I leave all options open and wait for further evidence either way."

Unlike you I do not make blanket denials with no evidence.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

@ozimoron

What 'Sunni countries'? You keep saying this, no details. Hamas does not 'copy' Hezbollah tactics, but train together, share information and so on. For some odd reason you're trying hard to paint a misleading picture, not really sure why. What 'wedge'?

• Like 1