Deputy PM Somsak makes false claim over cancer cure

snoop1130

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Somsak Thepsuthin has suggested, on a television programme, that cancer can be cured by drinking papaya leaf tea, claiming that some patients could confirm the method’s efficacy.

...i didn't know that this politician had studied medicine too

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Somsak Thepsuthin has suggested, on a television programme, that cancer can be cured by drinking papaya leaf tea, claiming that some patients could confirm the method’s efficacy.

Thailand works in mysterious ways.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

There is another plant used to cure cancer :

Laboratory tests conducted at the University of Newcastle and Hunter Medical Research Institute have shown that a modified form of medicinal cannabis can kill or inhibit cancer cells without impacting normal cells, revealing its potential as a treatment rather than simply a relief medication.

https://www.newcastle.edu.au/newsroom/featured/tests-show-potential-for-medicinal-cannabis-to-kill-cancer-cells

It seems , in  any case , that  it is a good prophylaxis that prevents cancer to appear .

Edited by nobodysfriend

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Do you want me to explain the idiom 'clutching at straws'?

do you want me to explain that the comment you replied to saying how witty it was... was in reference to cannabis. then you went ahead and posted about the doctor being paid for papaya. 

so yes please do explain. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, stoner said:

do you want me to explain that the comment you replied to saying how witty it was... was in reference to cannabis. then you went ahead and posted about the doctor being paid for papaya. 

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Clutch at straws'?

Try any route to get out of a desperate situation, no matter how unlikely it is to succeed.

So the (new) Minister for Medicine posts a dubious claim that papaya can cure cancer on TV presumably whilst being paid appearance money (in a desperate attempt to justify his promotion?)  What's wrong with bringing in reference to cannabis which is also supposedly good for cancer?

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

What's wrong with bringing in reference to cannabis which is also supposedly good for cancer?

considering the mountain of information and research out there on this subject (cannabis and cancer). i stand by my comment. 

other posters have also posted information about papaya on here which has been brushed aside. yet professionals at universities think there is something there. 

have you been studying and testing these things like the people with PHD's have ? or ? 

let me be quite clear as well before you go down a rabbit hole.

no i do not think papaya cures all cancer. but it seems there may be some results that other people have had as shown by professionals. 

no i do not think cannabis cures all cancer. but there are so many real world cases where it seems quite possible that cannabis in fact did help suppress and or cure the cancer in some individuals. 

just like the benefits of pine needles is an old native tale. but lets keep going on about some silly strawman bs. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

There is another plant used to cure cancer :

It is not necessarily the content of a comment that is "fake" but the words used, such as "cure".

Cancer is a controversial subject and not really fully understood. Years ago when the first claims were made over the nuclear testing in Oz the UK government went into denial mode. However research moved on and science did establish a possible link after Chernobyl, now there is a general acceptance that cancer can be a result of DNA damage many years previously.

That being the case it is not out of the question that certain substances may help repair any DNA damage or slow down any further development as a result of damage. It is now fairly well acknowledged that skin cancer and lung cancer can be a result of overexposure, so what about other cancers.

If there is viable evidence to that effect then there only the self appointed experts in a position to dispute it. We can only hope for more positive results from the research in the years ahead. Without that reseach people will continue to live in ignorance, in particular the natural skeptics.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2023-11-28/debates/23112839000001/NuclearTestVeteransMedicalRecords

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

So the (new) Minister for Medicine posts a dubious claim that papaya can cure cancer on TV

Did you actually hear him use the word "cure" or is it something you have read in the media?

I kow a lot of people that have had cancer in one form or another and none of them have ever been told by the doctors they have been cured.

More likely he said something like help them live with cancer but par for the course on this forum, and the media, to distort the context to suit the agenda.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Dried grass too... it's called clutching at straws.

Very clever comment, although way-off the mark by someone who appears to be devoid of any knowledge of pharmacology. 

20 hours ago, stoner said:

It wasn't in reference to cannabis, if you look at the response it said "dried grass too" that indicates adding an additional item to the discussion. 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Very clever comment, although way-off the mark by someone who appears to be devoid of any knowledge of pharmacology. 

I don't think that is a particular qualification obligated to post in the thread, do you?

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

It wasn't in reference to cannabis, if you look at the response it said "dried grass too" that indicates adding an additional item to the discussion. 

and if you look into dried grass it is often referred to when speaking about cannabis. 

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

Did you actually hear him use the word "cure" or is it something you have read in the media?

I kow a lot of people that have had cancer in one form or another and none of them have ever been told by the doctors they have been cured.

More likely he said something like help them live with cancer but par for the course on this forum, and the media, to distort the context to suit the agenda.

I got the word cure from the media headline in this thread - 'Deputy PM Somsak makes false claim over cancer cure'.  This is where I get all my information as I cannot read written Thai nor understand spoken Thai sufficiently well. 

How do you get to your conjectural comment 'More likely he said something like help them live with cancer but par for the course on this forum, and the media, to distort the context to suit the agenda.'

23 hours ago, stoner said:

considering the mountain of information and research out there on this subject (cannabis and cancer). i stand by my comment. 

other posters have also posted information about papaya on here which has been brushed aside. yet professionals at universities think there is something there. 

have you been studying and testing these things like the people with PHD's have ? or ? 

let me be quite clear as well before you go down a rabbit hole.

no i do not think papaya cures all cancer. but it seems there may be some results that other people have had as shown by professionals. 

no i do not think cannabis cures all cancer. but there are so many real world cases where it seems quite possible that cannabis in fact did help suppress and or cure the cancer in some individuals. 

just like the benefits of pine needles is an old native tale. but lets keep going on about some silly strawman bs. 

I don't know what's brought on this diatribe.  I stick by my original mild comment that I thought the Jacko's comment was witty/funny.  I studied cancer by watching both my parents die of it but I can still appreciated wit about the topic.