Experts flag doubts over road-safety masterplan as Thailand braces for ‘Seven Dangerous Days’

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Where would you put all the vehicles & passengers until sober?

At the roadside.... hire a ricefield  and let the people sit or lay down to sleep.. They are the ones who made a mistake no need to pamper them...

16 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Same news/story as every year, I personally think it comes down to a combination of the following to improve road safety and lower road deaths.

1) Police to do their jobs and enforce the traffic laws, Thailand has around 210,000 thousand police officers.

2) Heavy fines for all people not wearing a helmet on a bike including paasengers, take bikes away until fine paid.

3) Increase speeding fines, not 500 baht but 5,000 baht for speeding, take cars and vans away until paid.

4) Ensure there is correct training on how to drive a car before they get a license.

5) Ensure the police stop any car, van, truck that drives badley on the roads (crossing yellow lines etc)

The other thought I had the other day is the amount of money the goverment would collect if the police did their job and enforced the lawm the only way people learn is by hitting them in the pocket .

Am sure this is just a dream, not much chance it will happen.

I agree with all that you say, especially:- "4) Ensure there is correct training on how to drive a car before they get a license."

My wife passed her driving test at the first attempt at 51 years old - bravo!

But she had NEVER driven on a main road  - let alone dual carriageways, and the test itself was carried out on an outdoor park outside the vehicle taxation centre - no wonder there are so many accidents when the driving "test" is such a farce - and who knows how many drivers there are on the roads that have had no tuition at all!

Why do they bother we all know nothing will change on the driving incidents here in Thailand and the same reasons quoted every holiday on the reasons why 

Only thing will change is the numbers increasing for the known reasons 

I hope I am wrong but think not until rules are applied more severely 😱

17 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Sadly one of my wife’s cousins is an early number in the statistics already, and yes alcohol was the culprit but luckily no one else was involved. Now we have around a 7 hour drive tomorrow to attend the cremation on Saturday and hopefully we won’t be added to the statistics. 

I think anyone living in Thailand for any length of time knows someone close to them who has died in a road accident.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Every year the same story on New Year and Songkran, but nothing is being done by the Government during the rest of the year.. severe punishments, real checking of alcohol and drugs at checkpoints, speeding and lane changing. hold the drivers and show them a 4 hour video obliged to watch so they will belayed more as they should drive normally..and drunk/ drugs in the blood, forbid them to drive on.. confiscate the vehicle until they are totally sober again. Just a few things 

"show them a 4 hour video obliged"

They are shown that film when they renew their driving licence, but most of them are asleep then.
In other words, a Thai always thinks: "not me but someone else"

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am looking forward to my New Year Stroh 80 proof rum and coke with ice.

It will be my first one since last New Year and my last one until next New Year

No, I will not be driving either.

Is Stroh rum still available?

Of course when we went on ski holidays to Austria in the 1970s, at least one bottle always had to come home with us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

GREat talk about stupid, all ideas stated are pointless, when you have LACK OF ENFORCEMENT, achieved only by boots on the ground . Basically POLICE operating roving patrols stopping vehicles being visible ( not hiding in tents looking at phones ) Over 22 years here , hardly ever see a POLICE CAR DRIVING AROUND  acting as a deterrent, rarely seen Buses and Lrries stopped, , was stopped once by an officer who said nothing and just shoved a breathalyser into my face and said blow . I asked for it to be cleaned he laughed.

There is no fear anongst drivers of any mechanically powered vehicle as they all know the Police are only after cash from fines and even allow the offender to finish their trip after being fined  even for serious offences. 

Example ...MAN DRIVING < No licence, no excise sticker and NO insurance . fined whatever it is and then allowed to continue. Who is at fault now the MaN OR THE POLICE for allowing that vehicle driven by an unlicensed person  ??

In my opinion, road checks have actually become significantly less after COVID-19

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

That's the real cause there; if police did their job the rest of the year there would be no need to award them an overtime bonanza for looking at their phones all day whilst ignoring traffic offences ten yards away.

Watching on their mobile phones is applicable to the population across the world for the past 25 years.
We can't escape that anymore, unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisbangkok said:

Let me be the first to congratulate you .

Thank you.

I actually quit about 3 1/2 years ago when I realised that I was drinking or or 4 bottles of Hong Thong a week, and that I could easily drink a 750 ml bottle of Hong Thong in a night with ice and soda,

At 79 I now take only one drink per year on New Years Eve to celebrate another year of life.

I found it reasonably easy to stop drinking as I simply cut out alcohol, though many people find it very hard to do so, and they have my deepest sympathy. Fortunately my wife and son supported me all the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Same news/story as every year, I personally think it comes down to a combination of the following to improve road safety and lower road deaths.

1) Police to do their jobs and enforce the traffic laws, Thailand has around 210,000 thousand police officers.

2) Heavy fines for all people not wearing a helmet on a bike including paasengers, take bikes away until fine paid.

3) Increase speeding fines, not 500 baht but 5,000 baht for speeding, take cars and vans away until paid.

4) Ensure there is correct training on how to drive a car before they get a license.

5) Ensure the police stop any car, van, truck that drives badley on the roads (crossing yellow lines etc)

The other thought I had the other day is the amount of money the goverment would collect if the police did their job and enforced the lawm the only way people learn is by hitting them in the pocket .

No 4. You cannot train stupid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Is Stroh rum still available?

Of course when we went on ski holidays to Austria in the 1970s, at least one bottle always had to come home with us.

My mate used to bring it over from Germany on his annual trip with his Thai wife but he missed it during the Covid years and brought me some sharp German mustard this year.

Sorry.

To me it is like drinking rum and raisin ice cream.

• Thanks 1

Several underlying causes of road deaths often ignored are:-  high powered vehicles in the hands of inexperienced drivers.  EV's in particular will be a menace in the wrong hands with frightening acceleration and poor wet weather handling.  New cars get quicker and quicker, alas drivers brains haven't kept pace.  Phone use whilst driving is so prevalent yet perpetrators hide behind illegal all-round black tint.  Even when not using a phone, night vision is dangerously reduced.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Agreed for all.

Add the most important one, self-responsibility. Even if there were no cops, cameras or enforcement people with half a brain wouldn't drive drunk, or speed in the way Thai drivers do. All these measures year upon year doesn't change their behaviour. They shouldn't need to be encouraged to drive safely. 

Can't fix stupid. Especially when you add selfishness to the mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is little or no hope for a decrease in traffic fatalities, fender benders or pedestrian safety as long as Thailand introduces thousands of cars and motorcycles to the highways around the country each week and the road infrastructure is not updated.. The thoroughfares are not wide enough in most places to even accommodate the status quo. The biggest problem with traffic safety is the mix of motorcycles and cars trying to move up and down the highways simultaneously navigating traffic. Allowing motorcycles to weave in and out between cars or creep up the center or curbside lanes to approach the front of the queue awaiting the traffic light is asking for trouble. 

The only solution I can think of to combat congestion is to restrict curbside parking in cities. If empty lots could be converted into carparks with a nominal fee charged to owners of vehicles in order to pay for security personnel to manage the lots, this may be a start. If successful, perhaps multistory carparks could be built for profit as we have in many western cities. 

Dangerous roads along with corruption and pollution will no doubt haunt Thailand for many years to come.

Edited by jingjai9

10 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

The biggest problem is nobody wants to go with the flow. They all want to go at their own speed anywhere from 30 kmh to 130 kmh.  So you are always having to pass somebody or have someone on your tail waiting for a chance to pass you. So driving here is not a relaxing experience you are always breaking or accelerating watching all three mirrors all the time.

It's the 'Me First' syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Tubulat said:

"show them a 4 hour video obliged"

They are shown that film when they renew their driving licence, but most of them are asleep then.
In other words, a Thai always thinks: "not me but someone else"

That they sleep is not the intention. the purpose is to delay their travel and reason to hurry

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, stoner said:

you really shouldn't marvel. 

racism ? go away. what a total joke. i staunchly reject your nonsense. 

not knowing many thai people ? does my wife of 17 years count ? or living here for over 10 years help ? grasp of local language ? i mean my thai isn't perfect but i understand about 80 percent of what i hear. my grammar isn't great but after i go back to phuket in a couple weeks i am enrolling in a language school.

is that ignorant enough for you ? 

yes i know they are people like us....however they seem to have a difficult time driving safely. i am quite sure there is no debate on that. hence my points. generally people can be *rewired* to think and act differently. look into the MADD program in canada for a good view of what im talking about. 

where in any of my comment did i say i don't like thai people ? stop putting words into my mouth.......  but you go ahead and white knight all day don't let me stop you

The comments were textbook racism. Bigotry is defined in the dictionary as "obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group" in this case the group being "thai people".

As for not knowing many Thais - no, your wife doesn't count to be honest. if you have to invoke "the wife" when it comes to your association with Thai people, it's already game over. Many of us here have actual Thai friends and Thai colleagues - people we know really well and hang out with.

As for Thai driving. I don't think the driving here is that bad considering there is close to zero on the road enforcement of traffic laws. So the bad apples get to be REALLY bad with no recourse. That's what's going on her. Thai people don't really have a problem driving - there's just a lot of knobs on the road driving with impunity. The UK would be the same if you took the cops/cameras off the road.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand is Thailand …. Apply Thai logic and all will be fine. Many Thai drive perfectly fine.. MTOB I rather have Thai traffic any day than the highly regulated traffic system we have in the west .. Driving here is exciting and fun. So is road cycling.  Did 35000km this year in the car … and just short of 1000km with my race bike. Stay alert and be ready for anything ;-)

Be safe out there.

• Like 1