How to connect cables from appliances and how to protect the connections?

OneMoreFarang

Electrically it's not difficult to connect an oven or induction hob to the cables from the breaker box.

Make sure you use the correct cable size and appropriate connectors (i.e. for high current).

But then what?

Put lots of tape around the connected cables and let it dangle behind the oven?

Do the connections in a wall box (in the wall) which might be difficult to access?

Put the cables into a box and connect them within that box and let the box dangle behind the oven?

I am sure lots of option "will work". But what would a professional electrician do?

Edit: I forgot to mention: The appliances are in a kitchen cabinet. The cabinet has a thin back wall.

I cut away a little part of the back wall where the electrical boxes are. The boxes are in the top left corner. Accessible, but not exactly the perfect location.

Currently the cables from the breaker box come out of those electrical boxes.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
more info

1 minute ago, impulse said:

No disrespect intended, but any advice here other than "hire someone who knows what they're doing" isn't in anyone's best interest.

In theory you are right, but how many people in Thailand do you know who are part of that "someone who knows what they're doing" group?

Personally, I don't have two left hands and I normally I get things done. But there are just some things which I never did before.

I.e. I did electrical installation in homes and industry with a professional company a long time ago in a country far away. But I never installed appliances in a kitchen.

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Put the cables into a box and connect them within that box and let the box dangle behind the oven?

I’m trying to envision your situation. I assume the wall box is the circuit breaker? Put a power outlet in the wall where you want the oven. From the circuit breaker box lead the wiring to the power outlet. If you don’t want unsightly conduits and wiring visible, chisel conduit routes in the concrete , lay the wire, plaster over with concrete and paint. 

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In theory you are right, but how many people in Thailand do you know who are part of that "someone who knows what they're doing" group?

Gotta admit I was spoiled in Thailand.  Working for an international oil company with offshore platforms, we had absolutely cracker jack Thai electricians and many other Thai contractors.  So I know they're available (especially with the oil and gas business shrinking in Thailand). 

I do understand finding them may be a challenge.  But what are your and your loved ones lives worth?

Edited by impulse

Thanks for your replies.

Here is the situation:

Big breaker box in a separate room.

Each appliance has its own breaker (in the breaker box in the separate room).

On the kitchen wall behind the oven/hobs are two electrical wall boxes. Currently these are empty boxes. The cables, originating from the breaker box, come currently out of those wall boxes, maybe 1/2 meter spare cable each.

The appliances (oven and induction hob separately) come with cables, each maybe 1m long, no plugs.

Back "home" I know they had special connection boxes for ovens like below. I never saw something like that in Thailand.

It is exists, then that is what I want.

Important: The induction hob has about 7000W, most connectors are not designed for that current.

43492-4f4d6330aeb221d69ca9c434d7f031ae.j

v4-460px-Wire-an-Electric-Cooker-Step-12

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

On the kitchen wall behind the oven/hobs are two electrical wall boxes. Currently these are empty boxes. The cables, originating from the breaker box, come currently out of those wall boxes, maybe 1/2 meter spare cable each.

This is also a breaker box? Wire the high amp/watt appliances to this box with the appropriate breaker. This is the same setup I use on the a/c’s, double breakers. We don’t have an oven, wife has no desire so I can’t speak for personal experience with ovens in TH

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The induction hob has about 7000W, most connectors are not designed for that current.

Procedure we would normally use is a j-box with appropriate current handling capability.

Earth frame of any metal enclosure. Normally not a problem with the Clipsal giant plastic j-box.

Failing that, do away with your fixed screwed terminal block and solder the fixed wiring and oven lead tails together, add appropriate insulated connector (would be unavailable in Thailand) so tape over.

One may find some somewhere but I gave up looking a few years back and took 200 of each (single and double screw connector) with me from Aus.

Note:- connector shown has ability to terminate 3 x 6mm2 cables in each connector.

554C4-WE.jpg

40A3x6mm2.jpg

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 2

I like the ceramic choc-blok connectors for high current stuff. Heat resistant and readily available here.

You need some sort of strain relief/support for the hanging cable, don't rely on the connector for support.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments.

Problem solved.

I found out that it is the best to put the oven first into the cabinet, then connect the cable from the installed oven and the cable from the induction hob (which I can put next to the hole for installation) through the hole in the top. Then just put the connections into the existing wall boxes.

The induction hob just sits in that hole in the countertop, and it does not have to be mounted. It also has a seal on the installation surface. This means, if necessary, I can easily remove the hobs and have access to the electrical connections.

This is the current situation. I will post a picture when I connected everything.

IMG_20231229_100135-mediumsize.jpg.1cff9737b122de4ba97da122d42e7b29.jpg

I will use these connectors for the 6sqmm wires with high current.

https://www.es.co.th/detail.asp?prod=131200076

TB-4503.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I use loads of those chaps, available in many sizes/current ratings.

Me too......in the right environment.

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

You need some sort of strain relief/support for the hanging cable, don't rely on the connector for support.

Simple correctly fitted saddle does the job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Me too......in the right environment.

Simple correctly fitted saddle does the job.

Very interesting.

I googled "correctly fitted saddle" and I found this one. Somehow I guess this is not what you had in mind.

So, if you don't mind please explain or maybe provide a picture.

The problem with many (electrical) devices is that many of us don't know the names and the names are different in different nations (even if they are all "English"). 

Thanks

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Very interesting.

I googled "correctly fitted saddle" and I found this one. Somehow I guess this is not what you had in mind.

So, if you don't mind please explain or maybe provide a picture.

The problem with many (electrical) devices is that many of us don't know the names and the names are different in different nations (even if they are all "English"). 

Thanks

That was my immediate thought too.

But this is what @bluejets meant :smile:

image.png.2804d41deb03565b2b45a4fb102482a8.png

• Thanks 1