Connecting Thai QR code payment to a foreign credit card.

I think the answer is no…but I’d like to make sure. Is there a way to set up Thai QR code payment so that it is connected to a foreign credit card? That is possible with AliPay in China. A lot of merchants in Thailand actually do accept AliPay now but it only work with a Chinese bank account when used in Thailand. 

I found it impossible to set up TrueWallet and Line pay, as alternatives. 

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

QR payment for Thai banks have nothing to do with other scannable payment methods. So the answer is no. If you want to accept payments you need to open a company and sign up with a payment processor.

Anyone with a Thai bank account can generate a QR code for accepting payments. Doesn’t matter foreigner or Thai. You dont need to have a business to do this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but I think the OP wants to use QR codes to make payments, not to receive them.  Specifically, tapping into a foreign credit/debit card as opposed to a Thai bank account.

I'm interested in that myself...  I also imagine a lot of tourists without Thai bank accounts would like to carry less cash with them.  And I'm certainly not going to pull out the plastic for a 100 baht coffee or 7/11 purchase, even where they take international cards.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

PromptPay has been integrated with equivalent mechanisms like FPS (Hong Kong) and Paynow (Singapore), there may be other countries as well, not sure. You can use your respective banking app from HK, SG and scan the QR code in Thailand to pay. I think this generally hits your debit card or savings account, not aware whether it works with foreign credit card. But certainly helpful to avoid carrying baht in cash.

Joint Press Release Launch of PromptPay x FPS Link between Thailand and Hong Kong (bot.or.th)

Microsoft Word - Media Release - PayNow - PromptPay v7.0 - clean (abs.org.sg)

20 hours ago, impulse said:

I also imagine a lot of tourists without Thai bank accounts would like to carry less cash with them.  And

What is your problem to pay cash? It works everywhere. Or pay by Wise debit card in THB, it works in many shops there.

41 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

What is your problem to pay cash? It works everywhere. Or pay by Wise debit card in THB, it works in many shops there.

Cash doesn't work everywhere. I have been in many shops (including Starbucks) that only accept digital payments.

Granted, cash works in most places, but it definitely doesn't work in all. And I think you'll see more cashless shops throughout the year - it is the trend globally whether you like it or not.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bravo19 said:

Like someone else said cash is not always accepted now. As for Wise debit card wouldn't you need a foreign phone number to get that as Thai SIMs don't work, so that is an added fee on top.

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Like someone else said cash is not always accepted now. As for Wise debit card wouldn't you need a foreign phone number to get that as Thai SIMs don't work, so that is an added fee on top.

Looking at their website, they apparently can't send the Wise cards to an address in Thailand, either.  Nor to China, where I'm currently staying because of a personal issue. 

I guess that's good info, to get your Wise account set up back home before you come to Thailand...  And keep your back home SIM activated internationally (which mine is, ouch)

On 12/30/2023 at 4:55 PM, impulse said:

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but I think the OP wants to use QR codes to make payments, not to receive them.  Specifically, tapping into a foreign credit/debit card as opposed to a Thai bank account.

I'm interested in that myself...  I also imagine a lot of tourists without Thai bank accounts would like to carry less cash with them.  And I'm certainly not going to pull out the plastic for a 100 baht coffee or 7/11 purchase, even where they take international cards.

Yes, i am talking about paying money not receiving it. Sorry for the confusion. 

22 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Cash doesn't work everywhere. I have been in many shops (including Starbucks) that only accept digital payments.

Have been in many Starbucks shops in Thailand and in all of them i could pay by cash. If you don't want to pay by cash use credit card.

50 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

Have been in many Starbucks shops in Thailand and in all of them i could pay by cash. If you don't want to pay by cash use credit card.

I've been in a couple that don't take cash. So you either pay by QR or card.

14 hours ago, bravo19 said:

I was in a Sushi Cafe in Pattaya back in August, went to pay for the meal, "Scan" only, couldn't even use a Thai debit card. had to borrow the wife's iPhone to pay!

Bonchon chicken in the Siam Centre Bangkok, at least still allowed payment by card.

There must be a few tourists for which this causes a problem.

I still like to always have a cash option, as some day a good probability of the system or power will not working.