Brexit has completely failed for UK, say clear majority of Britons – poll

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So, you don't know. I don't either,

I know the majority of the reports which I linked conclude that Brexit has had a net negative effect. You would know that also if you looked at them.

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

but we're to assume a polling of the general public is a good way to measure it. 

What is "it"? The success of Brexit?

You indicated previously that you did not think that the public's perception was unimportant. So apart from polling how do we measure that perception?

3 minutes ago, RayC said:

I know the majority of the reports which I linked conclude that Brexit has had a net negative effect.

I do not doubt that. 

You would know that also if you looked at them.

I knew the reports concluded that Brexit has had a net negative effect just by the fact that you linked to them. 

What is "it"? The success of Brexit?

Yes, 

You indicated previously that you did not think that the public's perception was unimportant. So apart from polling how do we measure that perception?

Polling is the best way I know of to determine public perception. I never meant to imply it was not. 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That the public's perception of how successful something as complex as Brexit is largely unrelate to how successful it actually is. 

Which begs the question: Why pose the Brexit question to the public in the first place given that it is so complex and they couldn't hope to know whether the outcome would be successful or not?

One of, sure. 

But your previous paragraph suggests otherwise? 

You seemingly also dismiss research conclusions as no criterion by which to judge the success of Brexit? What criteria would you suggest?

Sure, but you said: "...Note: I am suggesting that it is the only criterion...". Did you want to want to walk that back? 

I would. That was a rather unfortunate omission of a word.

My original sentence should, of course, have read: "I am NOT suggesting that it is the only criterion... " (caps added for emphasis)

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not doubt that. 

I knew the reports concluded that Brexit has had a net negative effect just by the fact that you linked to them. 

Yes, 

Polling is the best way I know of to determine public perception. I never meant to imply it was not. 

(Our previous posts crossed)

So we agree that the public's perception of Brexit is negative (and important): The overwhelming body of evidence from academia, industry and government suggests that Brexit has had a net negative impact. 

"If it walks like a duck, etc ...."

Edited by RayC
Clarification

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Which begs the question: Why pose the Brexit question to the public in the first place given that it is so complex and they couldn't hope to know whether the outcome would be successful or not?

Why indeed? It's not like it's the government surveying the public in an honest effort to determine what people think. It's someone with an agenda, funding a survey and publishing it. Likely in an effort to drive public opinion. 

1 minute ago, RayC said:

But your previous paragraph suggests otherwise? 

How does my previous paragraph suggest otherwise? 

1 minute ago, RayC said:

You seemingly also dismiss research conclusions as no criterion by which to judge the success of Brexit? What criteria would you suggest?

No, I did not dismiss them. But neither would I take a quick look at a couple reports and think I know something. Would you?

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I would. That was a rather unfortunate omission of a word.

That's fair. 

1 minute ago, RayC said:

My original sentence should, of course, have read: "I am NOT suggesting that it is the only criterion... " (caps added for emphasis)

We agree.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why indeed? It's not like it's the government surveying the public in an honest effort to determine what people think. It's someone with an agenda, funding a survey and publishing it. Likely in an effort to drive public opinion. 

That may well be the case sometimes  but not always. I would suggest that 'Brexit in a Changing Europe' is relatively unbiased. Some authors may sometimes display bias but the Director, Anand Menon, is very careful not to appear judgemental or bias.

How does my previous paragraph suggest otherwise? 

You stated at the outset that this poll was a measure of the public's perception of the success of Brexit, not whether Brexit was actually a success. 

However, you agreed that public perception is important and should be one of the criteria by which the success of Brexit should be judged. 

But if the public's perception is wrong then surely it shouldn't be included in a set of criteria aimed at establishing the success of Brexit? It might be argued that a perception cannot be 'right' or 'wrong' but, in that case I would suggest that it does not help answer the question about Brexit's success, so again why include it in the set of criteria?

No, I did not dismiss them. But neither would I take a quick look at a couple reports and think I know something. Would you?

Apologies. I should be more careful with my choice of words. By 'quick look', I meant reading the 'Abstract' and/or 'Executive Summary' and/or 'Introduction' and/or  'Conclusions' and/or 'Recommendations'. Usually 10-15 pages. 'Quick' given that the full reports are often 100+ pages.

Imo a great deal can be gauged from reading these (relatively) few pages contained in the sections described above. Would you agree?

That's fair. 

We agree.

👍

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, RayC said:

That may well be the case sometimes  but not always. I would suggest that 'Brexit in a Changing Europe' is relatively unbiased. Some authors may sometimes display bias but the Director, Anand Menon, is very careful not to appear judgemental or bias.

With "appear" being the key word no doubt. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to trust anything that comes out of academia unless it's pure science.

5 hours ago, RayC said:

You stated at the outset that this poll was a measure of the public's perception of the success of Brexit, not whether Brexit was actually a success. 

Yes, but it is worth noting that they did not ask the public if overall they were happy about Brexit. 

5 hours ago, RayC said:

However, you agreed that public perception is important and should be one of the criteria by which the success of Brexit should be judged. 

No, I said it should be one of the criterial used to judge the success of Brexit, you said it was important. I also stated the public's perception was largely driven by press and media, which are controlled by the left, and clearly the left hated/hates Brexit. 

5 hours ago, RayC said:

But if the public's perception is wrong then surely it shouldn't be included in a set of criteria aimed at establishing the success of Brexit? It might be argued that a perception cannot be 'right' or 'wrong' but, in that case I would suggest that it does not help answer the question about Brexit's success, so again why include it in the set of criteria?

Because if the public's perception is "wrong", steps might/should be taken to explain the impact of the program better. 

5 hours ago, RayC said:

Apologies. I should be more careful with my choice of words. By 'quick look', I meant reading the 'Abstract' and/or 'Executive Summary' and/or 'Introduction' and/or  'Conclusions' and/or 'Recommendations'. Usually 10-15 pages. 'Quick' given that the full reports are often 100+ pages.

That's a quick look. Unless I really trusted the source, it would take me a lot longer to determine the honesty of a study. 

5 hours ago, RayC said:

Imo a great deal can be gauged from reading these (relatively) few pages contained in the sections described above. Would you agree?

👍

I did not read them, but it has been a good long time since I read anything political out of academia that I felt was intellectually honest, much less unbiased.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

With "appear" being the key word no doubt. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to trust anything that comes out of academia unless it's pure science.

Yes, but it is worth noting that they did not ask the public if overall they were happy about Brexit. 

No, I said it should be one of the criterial used to judge the success of Brexit, you said it was important. I also stated the public's perception was largely driven by press and media, which are controlled by the left, and clearly the left hated/hates Brexit. 

Because if the public's perception is "wrong", steps might/should be taken to explain the impact of the program better. 

That's a quick look. Unless I really trusted the source, it would take me a lot longer to determine the honesty of a study. 

I did not read them, but it has been a good long time since I read anything political out of academia that I felt was intellectually honest, much less unbiased.

Fair enough.

Our starting points are based upon such a completely different set of assumptions that I doubt that either of us will be able to convince the other of their case.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

Not a poll this time but another damning indictment of Brexit from a journalist at the famously left-wing FT (hopefully link is not behind a paywall):

https://www.ft.com/content/717c3c59-795b-4620-ad9b-a44a359077ca

No access for me.

What is the "damning indictment" the "journalist" is claiming? 

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Not a poll this time but another damning indictment of Brexit from a journalist at the famously left-wing FT (hopefully link is not behind a paywall):

https://www.ft.com/content/717c3c59-795b-4620-ad9b-a44a359077ca

Article from the same  journalist

Britain won’t rejoin the EU for decades — if ever

https://www.ft.com/content/9c2df35f-555a-4c34-84e6-93e125d6c410

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Article from the same  journalist

Britain won’t rejoin the EU for decades — if ever

Sadly, Wolf may be proved correct.

For the benefit of those unable to view the article, his reasons for thinking that we won't rejoin are: "first, it would create a host of new and damaging uncertainties; second, it would tear British politics apart just as they were calming down; third, the deal the UK would get would be quite different from the one it had ..."

Wolf certainly wasn't a supporter of the decision to leave.

9 minutes ago, RayC said:

Sadly, Wolf may be proved correct.

For the benefit of those unable to view the article, his reasons for thinking that we won't rejoin are: "first, it would create a host of new and damaging uncertainties; second, it would tear British politics apart just as they were calming down; third, the deal the UK would get would be quite different from the one it had ..."

Wolf certainly wasn't a supporter of the decision to leave.

That is easy to see based on the number of articles Wolf has written about Brexit and it appears other members of his family are getting in on the act 

" Even more telling is a report by UK in a Changing Europe and Public First (of which my daughter is founding partner),"

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That is easy to see based on the number of articles Wolf has written about Brexit and it appears other members of his family are getting in on the act 

" Even more telling is a report by UK in a Changing Europe and Public First (of which my daughter is founding partner),"

Rachel Wolf co-authored the 2019 Conservative Manifesto, so I assume that she was a Brexit supporter.

Fair play to her if she has now been persuaded by the weight of evidence showing that Brexit has had a negative impact and has changed her mind.

https://www.publicfirst.co.uk/team.html

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RayC said:

Rachel Wolf co-authored the 2019 Conservative Manifesto, so I assume that she was a Brexit supporter.

Fair play to her if she has now been persuaded by the weight of evidence showing that Brexit has had a negative impact and has changed her mind.

https://www.publicfirst.co.uk/team.html

Her is a quote from her in October 2023

“This is making it difficult for any of the main parties to use Brexit to their own electoral advantages. While the party leaders’ natural inclination will be to shut up about the whole thing, there’s a lot in it for the leader who can show that there’s a route to a bright future outside the EU, no matter how we got here.”https://www.research-live.com/article/news/economic-issues-partly-blamed-on-brexit-by-uk-voters/id/5118193

33 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

" ...there’s a lot in it for the leader who can show that there’s a route to a bright future outside the EU ...”

Difficult to disagree with that statement. Problem is that May, Johnson, Truss and Sunak (so far) have all failed to find it 

Were/ are they all incapable and/or does a route actually exist?

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, RayC said:

Difficult to disagree with that statement. Problem is that May, Johnson, Truss and Sunak (so far) have all failed to find it 

Were/ are they all incapable and/or does a route actually exist?

Nigel Farage: I’ll be leader of the UK Conservative Party by 2026

https://www.politico.eu/article/nigel-farage-leader-uk-conservative-party-2026/

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2024 at 5:42 PM, Stocky said:

I gave the link in the previous post

https://www.opinium.com/political-polling/

Open "Opinium" and it just asks another question immediately! Keep your cookies in a jar then!

So many big questions in a single little poll, pretty much all of which seem to try to imply that sentiment on these issues in the UK today is only driven by Brexit, despite most all of the EU being badly affected by the pandemic, high immigration, too few homes, new wars, inflation and flagging economies! How can anyone make a fair judgement given all that?

On top of that, the question of the process of actually leaving the EU was completely ignored. Tory UK governments, first misled by a dithering and weak May, then second conned by Boris, with the regurgitated Chequers (also May) withdrawal agreement, which was rushed in/out of the oven just to "get Brexit done", so that Boris could say that he did it. It was all such a waste, especially with such an enormous majority. It'll be a long time before the Conservatives see that again. 

What a waste!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

uc

1 hour ago, RayC said:

It's unfortunate that the methodology used by Opinium is not available without buying the report.

Whenever a report or poll appears showing Brexit in a negative light you raise two objections: Firstly, it is not possible to separate the effects of the various other issues which have affected the UK over the past five years.

Basically, you question the methodology but when pressed on which parts of the methodology you consider flawed, you do not reply but bring out the same generic objections.

(I imagine that like me, you are not willing to fork out for the Opinium report; however, many other freely available reports exist and can be analysed e.g. the OBR reports, the plethora of 'UK in a Changing Europe' material).

... and your second line of defence. Successive Tory governments have blotched the process and implementation of Brexit.

I would agree with the slightly different premise that successive Tory governments have proved themselves incompetent but, tbf no UK government of whatever colour would have fared much better during the Brexit negotiation for the simple reason that the EU held all the negotiating cards.

Despite the nonsense spouted by the 'Leave' during the referendum campaign about 'the EU needing us more than we need them', it's increasingly clear that the opposite is the case. To that end, the UK was only ever going to get what the EU was prepared to offer, and only on the EU's terms. The UK's only independent option would have been to walk away with 'No deal', which would have been even more of a disaster. 

Can you please outline how - other than a 'No deal' - things might have been different? What cards did the UK hold during negotiations? How could they have been played? How should the current UK government be using its' Brexit 'freedoms'?

Funny how two individuals starting from two different premises can sometimes arrive at the same conclusion 🤷😁

Again, we are in agreement: Definitely worth repeating.

OK then. What a waste!

7 minutes ago, RayC said:

😂 Very good. 

Btw: Nice bit of evasion😉

To try to avoid comments like this, I did add the below, obviously unsuccessfully, a while ago. Here it is again.

= = =

Don't agree with your first para and  I wasn't pressed on anything.

I'd say that the negative answers to the broad scope of questions about the state of UK now (3 years post Brexit) are driven and reasoned by far more than just Brexit. Any objections that I may have are unchanged, rather than generic.  

I agree that any government would have had trouble dealing with Brexit; I always said that and knew that leaving would be a problem because the EU of 2016 had gathered far more than power than the EEC had in 1972 - even though the concept of political union was already written into the Treaty of Rome - a pity more MP's couldn't be bothered to read it properly then. So, yes, the EU held most of the "cards' by 2016 and I think that was finally realised by the leave voters. The very difficulty of leaving highlighted the overriding political nature of the EU and the need to break free of it.

There was a lot of nonsense spouted by both sides in the run-up to the referendum - personally, I ignored it - leaving "deals" were hardly discussed until the vote was over. No deal was the only way to leave completely but if the EU had truly been a trading bloc, it could have been relatively easy and amicable. 

• Agree 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:17 PM, Yellowtail said:

Again, guys like you crack me up. 

If you know, don't you say? You can't say, because you don't know, so you post a link, and you call me ignorant. 

Again, please tell me how you're going to get a random sample of UK citizens to poll. It's not possible. 

No links. 

What on earth are you on about, "No links"?

Links (to a reliable source) are the standard and accepted method to prove the accuracy of what a person is saying in an online discussion.

In fact, since this is a news/current affairs topic, and @RayCis trying to point out to you the fact that standard methodologies do exist to establish a random sample for an opinion poll, Forum Rules actually state that a link should be posted.

See extract from the rules below:

In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

To try to avoid comments like this, I did add the below, obviously unsuccessfully, a while ago. Here it is again.

= = =

Don't agree with your first para and  I wasn't pressed on anything.

I assume that you are referring to this paragraph: "Whenever a report or poll appears showing Brexit in a negative light you raise two objections: Firstly, it is not possible to separate the effects of the various other issues which have affected the UK over the past five years."?

If so, it's unclear to me what you agree/ disagree with?

Regarding "pressing": I have repeatedly challenged you, and others who refuse to accept the conclusions of reports such as the OBR's, to state precisely their objections. Imo simply objecting because the conclusions do not fit your narrative is not a valid reason.

Take this as another such challenge.

I'd say that the negative answers to the broad scope of questions about the state of UK now (3 years post Brexit) are driven and reasoned by far more than just Brexit. Any objections that I may have are unchanged, rather than generic.  

It is undeniable that events such as the pandemic, war in Ukraine, etc have had a negative effect on the UK, but in what way does that explain away the negative impact of Brexit?

So, yes, the EU held most of the "cards' by 2016 and I think that was finally realised by the leave voters.

It's a shame that more 'Leave' voters did not realise this pre, rather than post, referendum. If they had, perhaps the result would have been different.

The very difficulty of leaving highlighted the overriding political nature of the EU and the need to break free of it.

I don't accept the premise but, even if true, the conclusion doesn't follow. Surely there is more chance of influencing the direction of an organisation from within, rather than from the outside?

There was a lot of nonsense spouted by both sides in the run-up to the referendum - personally, I ignored it - leaving "deals" were hardly discussed until the vote was over.

Nevertheless others may have been influenced by, and believed, false claims such as 'their need of us is greater', 'easier deal in history', etc. 

Notwithstanding the fact that much of the data offered by 'Leave' was based on wishful thinking, and some outright lies, they run a much more effective campaign than 'Remain' who seemed very blasé.

No deal was the only way to leave completely but if the EU had truly been a trading bloc, it could have been relatively easy and amicable. 

And 'No deal' would have been even more of a disaster.

By 'easy and amicable' I assume that you mean that the EU could have offered the UK a better deal? Well, it did. Remain (sic) much as we were but the UK government did not want to know. In any event, why expect any favours? The EU acted in what it saw as it's members own best interests. How else was it meant to act?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

What on earth are you on about, "No links"?

Links (to a reliable source) are the standard and accepted method to prove the accuracy of what a person is saying in an online discussion.

In fact, since this is a news/current affairs topic, and @RayCis trying to point out to you the fact that standard methodologies do exist to establish a random sample for an opinion poll, Forum Rules actually state that a link should be posted.

See extract from the rules below:

I find a lot of people will claim X is bad, and when asked why X is bad, all they do is post a link to a magazine article by someone (likely an "expert") that agrees with them. It is intellectually lazy and does not answer the question, but it leaves the person thinking they have somehow proven their point, when they have not. 

Ray C does not do that. He (unlike many here) is actually able to formulate an argument and have a discussion. 

If someone is claiming X is bad, when asked why it is bad, they should be able to make an argument that is bad because of Y and Z. If they can't do that, they should just say they don't know, not just post a link to someone that also says X is bad. 

If I wanted to read a magazine, I would read a magazine.  I am on a discussion board because I want to have a discussion. 

I think government policies should be designed to mostly benefit the poor and middle class. I am not concerned about college professors and other elitists are inconvenienced when they want to vacation in France for the summer or have to pay a little more for wine. I do care when a garbage collectors wages are driven down, the cost of his housing is driven up, the quality of his children's education suffers and has to get in line for healthcare. 

I also think people should be proud of their country and culture and should be able to preserve it if they want to, without being called names.

Now have I made any claims that you think need additional support?  

3 hours ago, RayC said:

I assume that you are referring to this paragraph: "Whenever a report or poll appears showing Brexit in a negative light you raise two objections: Firstly, it is not possible to separate the effects of the various other issues which have affected the UK over the past five years."?

If so, it's unclear to me what you agree/ disagree with?

Regarding "pressing": I have repeatedly challenged you, and others who refuse to accept the conclusions of reports such as the OBR's, to state precisely their objections. Imo simply objecting because the conclusions do not fit your narrative is not a valid reason.

Take this as another such challenge.

It is undeniable that events such as the pandemic, war in Ukraine, etc have had a negative effect on the UK, but in what way does that explain away the negative impact of Brexit?

It's a shame that more 'Leave' voters did not realise this pre, rather than post, referendum. If they had, perhaps the result would have been different.

I don't accept the premise but, even if true, the conclusion doesn't follow. Surely there is more chance of influencing the direction of an organisation from within, rather than from the outside?

Nevertheless others may have been influenced by, and believed, false claims such as 'their need of us is greater', 'easier deal in history', etc. 

Notwithstanding the fact that much of the data offered by 'Leave' was based on wishful thinking, and some outright lies, they run a much more effective campaign than 'Remain' who seemed very blasé.

'No deal' would have been even more of a disaster with the present EU but only in the short term. Had Brexit not happened, then the EU would have just continued with its path of centralization. 

Of course the EU could have offered the UK a better deal. Which it did not.

expect any favours? The EU acted in what it saw as it's members own best interests. How else was it meant to act?

I think it is difficult to isolate what might have been separate (Brexit) effects from the effects of the recent serious events in Europe and the world. especially given, the general nature of the questions.

I don't recall being "repeatedly" challenged, particularly w.r.t. OBR's but maybe that's from years ago? 

It's a shame that more 'Leave' voters did not realize this pre, rather than post, referendum. If they had, perhaps the result would have been different. Perhaps different in that the leave vote would have even been greater?

Any influence that the UK may have had over the EEC/EU from within was always weak. With successive losses of vetoes, then more and more QMV, it weakened more. The idea of Brexit was not to try to influence the EU from the outside after we left.

The quality of EU decisions that it considers to be in the best interests of its members has always been questionable IMO. A matter of opinion, but these decisions seem to be getting worse. Today, almost every EU member government seems to have some major issue with either the EU itself, or with their own people due to EU politics and policies.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, nauseus said:

I think it is difficult to isolate what might have been separate (Brexit) effects from the effects of the recent serious events in Europe and the world. especially given, the general nature of the questions.

It may be difficult but that is exactly what the various studies attempt to do. Imo the criticism of these studies is rarely more than a tautology: It's difficult to separate the effects of Brexit, therefore you can't conclude anything about the effects of Brexit.

Imo poor and lazy criticism.

I don't recall being "repeatedly" challenged, particularly w.r.t. OBR's but maybe that's from years ago? 

The original report was indeed a few years ago but it is regularly updated.

Any influence that the UK may have had over the EEC/EU from within was always weak.

I disagree. A few examples: The UK was one of the major influences in the formation of the Single Market and a strong supporter of the EU's attempts to forge trade deals. It can be argued be that the UK - together with France - largely dictated the EU foreign policy and diplomatic efforts. This was especially true when it came to defence issues.

With successive losses of vetoes, then more and more QMV, it weakened more.

It's true that with the expansion of the membership and more QMV, the influence of any one individual member state is lessened .... at least, in theory ...

but let's not pretend all member states are equal. France and Germany have more influence and power than Cyprus and Malta. When the UK was a member, it was one of the 'Big 3'.

The idea of Brexit was not to try to influence the EU from the outside after we left.

Perhaps not. But the UK likes to think of itself as having a significant presence and influence on the world stage. In terms of size of the economy and population, the UK is somewhat smaller than Japan. As an individual nation, what real influence does Japan wield on the world state? 

Imo any influence that the UK had on the world stage was dependent on our membership of the larger bloc i.e. EU. Moreover, inside the EU we were of use to the US, outside of it less so.

The quality of EU decisions that it considers to be in the best interests of its members has always been questionable IMO. A matter of opinion, but these decisions seem to be getting worse. Today, almost every EU member government seems to have some major issue with either the EU itself, or with their own people due to EU politics and policies.

I'm about to board a flight. You'll be pleased to know that I'll return to this point😂😉

• Like 1