Brexit has completely failed for UK, say clear majority of Britons – poll

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That's why it's best to look at their track record. And given that the polls seem to unanimously show Brexit is unpopular, your point seems untenable.

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?

image.png.9be9ba71f7e36910c875f52ea6469935.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/987347/brexit-opinion-poll/

You actually have less than nothing this time. 

What the polls show have nothing really to do with what I said. 

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Most articles in Wikipedia are rich in footnotes and links. It's clear why you don't read it.

I have never said they are not.

I merely pointed out Wikipedia itself is not  a reliable source. As us confirmed by most educational institutions banning students from citing Wikipedia in their work.

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I have never said they are not.

I merely pointed out Wikipedia itself is not  a reliable source. As us confirmed by most educational institutions banning students from citing Wikipedia in their work.

Do you think these institutions would say the same about the links I provided? Wikipedia is a very useful source of information. It just shouldn't be used uncritically. Do you think the links I've provided are somehow tainted by having been posted in Wikipedia?

• Agree 2

Just now, placeholder said:

Do you think the links I've provided are somehow tainted by having been posted in Wikipedia?

No. I've never said that.

I don't understand why you don't post from source. 

To busy accusing people of having nothing, I guess.

2 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. I've never said that.

I don't understand why you don't post from source. 

To busy accusing people of having nothing, I guess.

But once I did post from the sources, you ignored them. So I assumed you thought they were tainted. So you accept them as valid, then?

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Just over 2000 polled.

Not a clear majority of Britons.

A majority of those polled, by the Guardian, at an unknown location, of an unknown age, background.........the list goes on.

To get a 95% chance of being within 5% of the right answer, they'd need to poll 385 random people in a population of 67 million.  That's just the way statistics work...  And the people who do those surveys know how to reach out to "random people".  Whether they do or not, I don't claim to know.

Survey.png.7d043b8d896343b09672dfbe305b5b8f.png

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/sample-size-calculator/

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, your first sentence makes a fair point. Just like in the US where the public is unhappy about the economy even though it's performing very strongly.

My point had nothing to do with how right or wrong the people's perception is.  

But polls aren't done to establish any facts except about what the people polled perceive and/or what they intend to do.

Polls that are presented to the public are never done to establish facts. They may establish facts, but only incidentally. Someone has paid for a poll, and they want that information put before the public to influence the public. 

And given that the polls are unanimous for more than 2 years. one would have to posit a conspiracy to maintain that the results have been skewed on purpose.

Why are you claiming the polls have been unanimous for two years, and what is that based on? 

I have never said the results have been skewed have I? 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As per usual, no analysis, no logic, no reason employed. Just an unbacked claim.

You responded to my post with something (this time a graph) that did not in any way address what I said. What is analysis or logic is needed? What about my claim might require backing? I'm supposed to find a "source" proving that your response did not address what I said? 

So, rather than explaining how in fact the graph did address what I said, which we both know you cannot do, you attack me. 

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Typical post in defense of Brexit. The UK chose not to be part of the Federation. Despite the fact they it still enjoys considerable privileges that other nations don't, Brexit defenders still insist on additional privileges. 

Do you have anything that support this? 

5 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Those taking out opinion polls carefully choose their audience.

Seriously? You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. Polling/research companies usually do what is called a randomly selected sample. ‘Random’ being the key word here. Which is how they are able to draw conclusions for a populations as a whole. Statistics 101, basically.

I know, since I’ve been doing questionnaires and polls for over 40 years. If you want to be independent and neutral, this is the way to go: random sampling. I have no reason to assume that Opinium is biased in any way.

You've been doing questionnaires for 40 years. That's great.

Now. You said "usually". 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Those taking out opinion polls carefully choose their audience.

Seriously? You obviously have no idea what you’re talking about. Polling/research companies usually do what is called a randomly selected sample. ‘Random’ being the key word here. Which is how they are able to draw conclusions for a populations as a whole. Statistics 101, basically.

I know, since I’ve been doing questionnaires and polls for over 40 years. If you want to be independent and neutral, this is the way to go: random sampling. I have no reason to assume that Opinium is biased in any way.

What aspect of the business were you in? 

What percentage of your product was for public consumption? 

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why are you claiming the polls have been unanimous for two years, and what is that based on? 

I have never said the results have been skewed have I? 

For your first question, refer to the third post from the bottom of page 1.

On the one hand, you accuse pollsters of giving the answers the people who pay for them want, but on the other you say that pollsters don't skew the results. Do you understand what "skew" means?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Just over 2000 polled.

Not a clear majority of Britons.

A majority of those polled, by the Guardian, at an unknown location, of an unknown age, background.........the list goes on.

Not polled by the Guardian.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Those taking out opinion polls carefully choose thier audience. That way they get the answers they want.

They also phrase the questions to get the answer they want.

I doubt there's been any unbiased opinion polls in the past 80 years.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

What is new? For that matter the EU also fails, merely on its citizens.

EU ruling says take in "refugees"and they come with the thousands and who is paying? The citizens.

In "my country" we dont have houses and citizens are on waiting lists for many years and now the "refugees" are even above own citizens for houses. Thanks to EU.

UK has to decide self, but governments can be a pita as well. Our last governments were a pita aswel and it looks like it is to continu however now with other main party.

It is the global system which is out of control with way too many people on this earth. Wait for next virus.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) , which provisionally entered into force on 1 January 2021, provides for zero tariffs and zero quotas on all trade of EU and UK goods that comply with the appropriate rules of origin. Rules of origin are an important aspect of any free trade agreement such as the TCA.

https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/customs-4/international-affairs/third-countries/united-kingdom_en#:~:text=The EU-UK Trade and,agreement such as the TCA.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Tariffs on electric vehicles avoided as UK and EU extend trade rules
The UK and EU have agreed to extend trade rules on electric vehicles until the end of 2026 to keep costs down for manufacturers and consumers, the Prime Minister has announced today (Thursday 21 December).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tariffs-on-electric-vehicles-avoided-as-uk-and-eu-extend-trade-rules#:~:text=Press release-,Tariffs on electric vehicles avoided as UK and EU extend,today (Thursday 21 December).

• Thanks 1