Netanyahu rejects claims accusing Israel of genocide in Gaza

CharlieH

1 hour ago, Morch said:

You would be wrong.

That figure is taken from a poll citing support for Hamas (by the way, lower figures for the Gaza Strip).

It is not the same as being a card carrying member.

Take it a step further, not even all Hamas members are terrorists - Hamas operates many social, welfare projects etc. which got little to do with its military activities.

I saw many people in Gaza celebrating Ovt 7 th , on the streets and celebrating he attack .

Were there any demonstrations in Gaza condemning the attack ?

The terror attacks seemed to have full support from Gaza 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Living a great life on the Gaza Riviera, yes they were alive, just.

No, not a great life, and this obviously was not claimed.

But alive.

Guess most of them would prefer that.

It's kinda odd how some go on and on about dead Palestinians, but when pointed out they were alive on 6/10, that's somehow not good enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

It is not up to me or anybody else to determine guilt or innocence at the ICJ, it is up to the Judges.

Yes, that was the point that I was making to you , you don't need to make the same point back to me 

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I saw many people in Gaza celebrating Ovt 7 th , on the streets and celebrating he attack .

Were there any demonstrations in Gaza condemning the attack ?

The terror attacks seemed to have full support from Gaza 

People were indeed celebrating. And no, there were no protests in condemnation.

But celebrating the attack, vile as it is, does not necessarily make one a Hamas member, nor does it imply some death warrant.

Those who participated, aided and so on - that's a different matter.

10 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Living a great life on the Gaza Riviera, yes they were alive, just.

Yet some would have preferred it that way, some would have preferred Hamas had never carried out Oct 7th and started this whole war and destruction. Not all of them would like to be martyrs despite Hamas insistence that the Gaza Population deaths is a sacrifice worth taking and actively promote it.

Hamas’s Strategy of Human Sacrifice

Never before has a party adopted a war strategy to maximize civilian deaths on its own side.

https://www.hudson.org/terrorism/hamas-strategy-human-sacrifice-douglas-feith

What some Gazans say though not the majority

Gazans Are Starting to Blame Hamas for Wartime Suffering

criticism has begun spreading against the militant group, with Gazans blaming the militants for having provoked Israel’s wrath and for their inability to shield the population from a devastating war and a humanitarian crisis that deepens by the day.

https://archive.ph/AuDjR

https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/gazans-are-starting-to-blame-hamas-for-wartime-suffering-066256b0

image.png.110d498b709cc0e1dd2a9ba5626dd5ec.png

https://twitter.com/ofirgendelman/status/1743213149245866144

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

No matter how anybody feels about the case before the ICJ on the 11th January 2024 it has nothing to do with Hamas, it is all about Israel.

Some further clarification for you Jeff on why it is all about Hamas not just Israel. Not matter how you feel about it, that's the reality Chef

How Israel will fight Gaza genocide accusations in The Hague

As part of the defense, Israel’s advocates will almost certainly detail the atrocities committed by Hamas on October 7 — the rapes and beheadings, the abductions, the cold-blooded murder of unarmed civilians regardless of age and gender. They will argue Israel has the right to defend itself, and that to do so without causing civilian casualties is impossible because of how Hamas chooses to fight — hiding behind Gazans, embedded among civilians.

“On the merits, the [South African] brief is absurd and is a textbook example of atrocity inversion,” said Anne Herzberg, legal adviser at NGO Monitor — a conservative Jerusalem-based NGO reporting on international NGO activity from a pro-Israel perspective.

“The 7 October Hamas massacre is reduced to two sanitized paragraphs in the 84-page brief. It completely ignores Hamas’ tactics of embedding within civilian infrastructure and diversion of humanitarian aid intended for the people of Gaza,” she added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/israel-gaza-genocide-accusations-war-crimes-the-hague/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Some further clarification for you Jeff on why it is all about Hamas not just Israel. Not matter how you feel about it, that's the reality Chef

How Israel will fight Gaza genocide accusations in The Hague

As part of the defense, Israel’s advocates will almost certainly detail the atrocities committed by Hamas on October 7 — the rapes and beheadings, the abductions, the cold-blooded murder of unarmed civilians regardless of age and gender. They will argue Israel has the right to defend itself, and that to do so without causing civilian casualties is impossible because of how Hamas chooses to fight — hiding behind Gazans, embedded among civilians.

“On the merits, the [South African] brief is absurd and is a textbook example of atrocity inversion,” said Anne Herzberg, legal adviser at NGO Monitor — a conservative Jerusalem-based NGO reporting on international NGO activity from a pro-Israel perspective.

“The 7 October Hamas massacre is reduced to two sanitized paragraphs in the 84-page brief. It completely ignores Hamas’ tactics of embedding within civilian infrastructure and diversion of humanitarian aid intended for the people of Gaza,” she added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/israel-gaza-genocide-accusations-war-crimes-the-hague/

The last 2 paragraph's of your linked article:

But Israel’s defense will be haunted by the remarks of Dichter and company, who South Africa cites in their ICJ filing. Despite Netanyahu’s plea, they have not stopped their commentary, and on Tuesday, the U.S. State Department singled out two far-right Israeli ministers who have been pushing to resettle Palestinians outside Gaza, blasting their “inflammatory and irresponsible” rhetoric.

Netanyahu may thus have cause to regret not bringing his coalition partners to heel more firmly.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

But Israel’s defense will be haunted by the remarks of Dichter and company, who South Africa cites in their ICJ filing. Despite Netanyahu’s plea, they have not stopped their commentary, and on Tuesday, the U.S. State Department singled out two far-right Israeli ministers who have been pushing to resettle Palestinians outside Gaza, blasting their “inflammatory and irresponsible” rhetoric.

Netanyahu may thus have cause to regret not bringing his coalition partners to heel more 

Great that you now acknowledge this is also about Hamas

33 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Great that you now acknowledge this is also about Hamas

I acknowledge nothing about Hamas, where do you get that from?

I have no doubt that Israel will bring Hamas up during the Application Instituting Proceedings on the 11th.

I suggest you read the full 84 page Application.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I have no doubt that Israel will bring Hamas up during the Application Instituting Proceedings on the 11th.

Oh. So confirmation of Cherry picking from the article quotes and confirmation of ignoring reality. The 84 page report also contains Hamas Oct 7th info. Have you read it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Keep it in perspective , its a Court case .

Israel has been found guilty , its just a Court case . 

Courts can and do give not guilty verdicts .

You seem to think that a Court cases somehow proves guilt 

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes, that was the point that I was making to you , you don't need to make the same point back to me 

Where does your post make the same point that I posted?

My post: It is not up to me or anybody else to determine guilt or innocence at the ICJ, it is up to the Judges.

• Confused 2

That Israel is (apparently) being taken to task by the court for what they did post 10/7 seems to beg the question why the court has not taken Palestine to task for what they did on 10/7.

Of course, we all know why that it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

My post: It is not up to me or anybody else to determine guilt or innocence at the ICJ, it is up to the Judges.

Yes, my point was that its only a Court case and Israel hasn't been found guilty of anything . 

You mentioned Israel being taken to Court ,like it was proof of something 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

That Israel is (apparently) being taken to task by the court for what they did post 10/7 seems to beg the question why the court has not taken Palestine to task for what they did on 10/7.

Do you? Care to explain your take on it?

Netanyahu may thus have cause to regret not bringing his coalition partners to heel more firmly.

Those comments, vile as they are, are not official policy, though. And as there were counter comments, and (ignored) directions to stop making those, it's not much to go on. If this was to be decided on statements made by various leaders and politicians, then the Hamas side got a whole lot more that would justify Israel's actions. It cuts both ways.

As far as I understand, the main issue, as per the court thing, is intent. For that, there needs to be clear evidence of policy, chain of command directives and application of commands.

6 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes, my point was that its only a Court case and Israel hasn't been found guilty of anything . 

What might happen is that the court may issue an injunction to stop fighting. While you and some others might leap up to point out that the ICJ isn't recognized by Israel or the US, such an order would put a lot of pressure on those 2 countries. Other countries who do recognize the ICJ (the majority by far), will start to reduce diplomatic activity in non compliant countries and issue statements of condemnation. Not about the war but about failure to comply with the order.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

As I've said to you before and I'll say it again: 

It is not up to me or anybody else to determine guilt or innocence at the ICJ, it is up to the Judges.

• Confused 2

When you're in a hole maybe it is time to stop digging.

Rejection of Irresponsible Statements on Resettlement of Palestinians Outside of Gaza

https://www.state.gov/rejection-of-irresponsible-statements-on-resettlement-of-palestinians-outside-of-gaza/

These far-right/religious coalition elements/partners got their own agenda. It is not necessarily about what's obviously better for Israel, but more to do with their own vision of things. So for them, there is no 'hole'. As Netanyahu's political survival depends on them playing along, he's got little pull over what they say or don't say. The real effective measure taken was excluding them from the War Cabinet, at the price of them running their mouths.

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

As I've said to you before and I'll say it again: 

I did understand what you wrote the first time, there is no need to say it again 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I could swear I saw a post or two, on these very topics announcing Israel's guilt.

Maybe I was wrong.

• Haha 1

Just now, Morch said:

I could swear I saw a post or two, on these very topics announcing Israel's guilt.

Think?

Just now, Morch said:

Maybe I was wrong.

Fist time for eveything

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Palestine (as in the PA) did not do anything on 7/10. If Israel, or any other party, would have liked to try and take them to the ICJ, they could. It was Israel's choice not to, obviously. So no, not sure what you think 'we all know'.

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What might happen is that the court may issue an injunction to stop fighting. While you and some others might leap up to point out that the ICJ isn't recognized by Israel or the US, such an order would put a lot of pressure on those 2 countries. Other countries who do recognize the ICJ (the majority by far), will start to reduce diplomatic activity in non compliant countries and issue statements of condemnation. Not about the war but about failure to comply with the order.

@ozimoron

There are two issues with your post.

(a)

Whether or not an injunction will be issued remains to be seen, it's far from guaranteed. And it will not happen right away. Legal proceedings take time.

(b)

The international reaction you allege is not a given, as you present -  but what you hope for.

As you often do, carriage before the horses, and an (un)healthy dose of imagination, presented as fact.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Well have you read it, you asked me but have you?