Netanyahu rejects claims accusing Israel of genocide in Gaza

CharlieH

3 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

There again, it is not up to John Kirby to decide whether genocide is or isn't the appropriate word here is it, it is up to the ICJ to decide that on the 11th, next Thursday.

Its absolutely up to John Kirby to make a professional opinion

How the term “genocide” is misused in the Israel-Hamas war

By the un definition, Hamas is a genocidal organisation. Its founding charter, published in 1988, explicitly commits it to obliterating Israel. Article 7 states that “The Day of Judgment will not come about until Moslems fight Jews and kill them”. Article 13 rejects any compromise, or peace, until Israel is destroyed. Hamas fighters who burst into Israel on October 7th and killed more than 1,400 Israelis (and other nationalities) were carrying out the letter of their genocidal law.
Israel, by contrast, does not meet the test of genocide. There is little evidence that Israel, like Hamas, “intends” to destroy an ethnic group—the Palestinians. Israel does want to destroy Hamas, a militant group, and is prepared to kill civilians in doing so. And while some Israeli extremists might want to eradicate the Palestinians, that is not a government policy.

https://archive.ph/O8HpJ

https://economist.com/the-economist-explains/2023/11/10/how-the-term-genocide-is-misused-in-the-israel-hamas-war

On 16 October 2023, an open letter signed by around 240 legal experts, including jurists and academics, declared the Hamas attack on 7 October 2023 as a "crime of genocide." According to the letter, “as these widespread, horrendous acts appear to have been carried out with an intent to destroy, in whole or in part a national group – Israelis – they most probably constitute an international crime of genocide”. The letter was endorsed by legal experts from prominent institutions, including Harvard and Columbia Law Schools, King's College London, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Dan Eldad, former acting State Attorney of Israel from February to May 2020, played a key role in drafting the letter. The Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, chaired by former Canadian Justice Minister Irwin Cotler, also signed the letter.[40][41][42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_genocide_in_the_2023_Hamas_attack_on_Israel

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its absolutely up to John Kirby to make a professional opinion

How the term “genocide” is misused in the Israel-Hamas war

By the un definition, Hamas is a genocidal organisation. Its founding charter, published in 1988, explicitly commits it to obliterating Israel. Article 7 states that “The Day of Judgment will not come about until Moslems fight Jews and kill them”. Article 13 rejects any compromise, or peace, until Israel is destroyed. Hamas fighters who burst into Israel on October 7th and killed more than 1,400 Israelis (and other nationalities) were carrying out the letter of their genocidal law.
Israel, by contrast, does not meet the test of genocide. There is little evidence that Israel, like Hamas, “intends” to destroy an ethnic group—the Palestinians. Israel does want to destroy Hamas, a militant group, and is prepared to kill civilians in doing so. And while some Israeli extremists might want to eradicate the Palestinians, that is not a government policy.

https://archive.ph/O8HpJ

https://economist.com/the-economist-explains/2023/11/10/how-the-term-genocide-is-misused-in-the-israel-hamas-war

On 16 October 2023, an open letter signed by around 240 legal experts, including jurists and academics, declared the Hamas attack on 7 October 2023 as a "crime of genocide." According to the letter, “as these widespread, horrendous acts appear to have been carried out with an intent to destroy, in whole or in part a national group – Israelis – they most probably constitute an international crime of genocide”. The letter was endorsed by legal experts from prominent institutions, including Harvard and Columbia Law Schools, King's College London, and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Dan Eldad, former acting State Attorney of Israel from February to May 2020, played a key role in drafting the letter. The Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, chaired by former Canadian Justice Minister Irwin Cotler, also signed the letter.[40][41][42]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_genocide_in_the_2023_Hamas_attack_on_Israel

Yet again, it is not Hamas before the International Court of Justice, on the 11th January 2024, it is Israel.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Jeff the Chef said:

Yet again, it is not Hamas before the International Court of Justice, on the 11th January 2024, it is Israel.

And? The articles have made comparisons, there's a reason for that.

3 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

So you are saying this is poorly executed genocide, on a people who breed well?

For you. I hope you appreciate my link. It’s especially to make you happy. Hamas shares your joy.

Hamas leader thanks S. Africa for launching genocide case against Israel at top UN court

In a televised address on Tuesday (Jan. 02), the chief of Hamas' political bureau thanked South Africa for launching a case against Israel at the UN's top court.

https://www.africanews.com/2024/01/02/hamas-leader-thanks-south-africa-for-launching-genocide-case-against-israel-at-top-un-cour//

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:08 PM, Yellowtail said:

Well, we know that at least thaibeachlovers and Khun Scotty did, and they want to happen again. 

Anyone that does not support the eradication of Hamas, wants it to happen again. 

Do you mean that anyone who does not support the murderous Israeli regime is a terrorist supporter?

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

For you. I hope you appreciate my link. It’s especially to make you happy. Hamas shares your joy.

Hamas leader thanks S. Africa for launching genocide case against Israel at top UN court

In a televised address on Tuesday (Jan. 02), the chief of Hamas' political bureau thanked South Africa for launching a case against Israel at the UN's top court.

https://www.africanews.com/2024/01/02/hamas-leader-thanks-south-africa-for-launching-genocide-case-against-israel-at-top-un-cour//

I get no joy from Hamas or Israel, they are both guilty of atrocities against humanity.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I get no joy from Hamas or Israel, they are both guilty of atrocities against humanity.

Ah right, so Israel murdered 250 innocent people  at a festival and murdered 1000 others  and murdered babies, raped and took hostages ?

Israel really should stop doing that , its atrocious 

3 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I’ve got a few Israeli friends. One of them wore some white socks with sandals and shorts once at the beach. That is the only atrocities they have committed. They are very good people.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Ah right, so Israel murdered 250 innocent people  at a festival and murdered 1000 others  and murdered babies, raped and took hostages ?

Israel really should stop doing that , its atrocious 

Which part of "I get no joy from Hamas or Israel, they are both guilty of atrocities against humanity." didn't you get?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

I’ve got a few Israeli friends. One of them wore some white socks with sandals and shorts once at the beach. That is the only atrocities they have committed. They are very good people.

I don't think that will be part of the ICJ's deliberations on the 11th, but you never know.

• Agree 1

On 1/4/2024 at 1:51 PM, rabas said:

You compare months of continual bombing during the Gaza invasion with Iraq from 2004 - 2010.

1) You don't include the Iraq invasion! ,which was March 2003! You only quote 2004- 2010.

2) The Iraq invasion and occupation was from 2003 to 2010.

2) The main combat period in Iraq took only 26 days before Iraq fell (in 2003) 

3) Multiple counties participated in the invasion, you count US dropped weapons.

4) The Iraq invasion was the worlds biggest ever tank battle, tanks don't drop bombs.

5) and [Wiki] during the 30 day invasion the US and UK dropped 29,199 bombs. [official ref]

6) More than twice the rate you quote for Gaza.

So question, who is misleading?

The paywalled WSJ article and you were unaware, or your quoting?

How many civilians were killed by the allied forces during the Iraq war? Were the civilian areas deliberately targeted, schools, hospitals, infrastructure. Were the Iraqi civilian deliberately denied water, fuel, food and medicines?

Iraq and the Gaza are 2 completely disconnected wars.

In Iraq the war was military against military.

In Gaza since October, the West bank now and the Lebanon now, it is military against civilians who are defending their rights to exist.

• Agree 1

I don't think that will be part of the ICJ's deliberations on the 11th, but you never know.

Wishful thinking eh. I bet Hamas hopes so as well despite them never harming anyone in their lives.

• Sad 1

It isn't about Hamas, it is all about Israel.

I won’t pass that onto my friends. They would probably be quite offended, especially their children 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Interesting, because I was under the impression this was all about Hamas on 7th Oct. Pretty sure you'll find that there will be plenty of evidence offered by Israel on how Hamas maximizes its use of human shields and makes casualty figures higher than they should be because of stopping Gazans going to safe areas or deliberately firing rockets from safe areas. Let lone planting all their infrastructure under civilian homes, schools and hospitals. Yes I think it will form a very large part of the case.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You missed If I told them what you said that it has nothing to do with Hamas. It has everything to do with Hamas. Thats why they would be offended. They would also be offended in someone making a blanket statement that Israelis have committed atrocities same as Hamas. They would quite rightly accuse me of antisemitism.

No matter how anybody feels about the case before the ICJ on the 11th January 2024 it has nothing to do with Hamas, it is all about Israel.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

No matter how anybody feels about the case before the ICJ on the 11th January 2024 it has nothing to do with Hamas, it is all about Israel.

I know you'd prefer it to be only about Israel and if Israel was not turning up in court as it was not obligated to turn up, then South Africa would have tried to also make it only about Israel to.

However Israel is quite rightly going to contest these fact less claims and if you really don't believe Hamas and its war crimes of using human shields will form a very large part of Israels presented evidence then you really have no clue.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Why do all the men seem to have breasts ?

Perhaps from the rations obtained from UNWRA; I understand that quite a lot of the food supplied to Gaza includes dried powdered baby formula milk?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Israel is not committing genocide — but Hamas is

It is important to underscore that the commission of genocide has nothing to do with the number of civilian casualties; the key element of the crime is the need to possess relevant “intent.” Whatever criticism one may have of Israeli policies or Israel Defense Forces (IDF) actions in Gaza, Israel is not seeking to destroy the Palestinian people, whether in whole, in part, or in any manner. 

During a Nov. 20 briefing, U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby eviscerated the inappropriate use of the term genocide to describe Israel’s actions in Gaza, forcefully stating: 

“Israel isn’t trying to wipe the Palestinian people off the map. Israel isn’t trying to wipe Gaza off the map. Israel is trying to defend itself against a genocidal terrorist threat. So, if we’re going to start using that word, fine. Let’s use it appropriately.” 

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4388533-israel-is-not-committing-genocide-but-hamas-is/

I expect that when the ICJ thing doesn't turn out to be some instant anti-Israel magic solution, some posters on here would either whine or embark on some conspiracy theory or another.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

There again, it is not up to John Kirby to decide whether genocide is or isn't the appropriate word here is it, it is up to the ICJ to decide that on the 11th, next Thursday.

He is stating the USA's position, which however you might resent, carries more weight than your opinionated, but fact light posts.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

1 hour ago, Jeff the Chef said:

1 hour ago, Jeff the Chef said:

24 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

See, that's one reason chefs usually do not argue such cases in courts.

Because, like it or not, Hamas's actions, mode of operations, policies and agenda - these will all feature on Israel's response to the South Africa's charges. So, naturally - Hamas's actions and 'contribution' to things will be discussed, debated, considered and factored.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Do you mean that anyone who does not support the murderous Israeli regime is a terrorist supporter?

@billd766

Some do, some don't.

There are some giveaways, though - like calling the Israeli government a 'regime', or labeling it as 'murderous'. All the more so when not doing much of that on the much fewer times Hamas is referred to.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1