Extension Retirement Visa after 1 January 2024

If you are earning income in Thailand your tax return for 2024 is not required to be submitted until 31 March 2025, so what do you expect immigration to be asking for in regards 2024 taxable income?

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

If you are earning income in Thailand your tax return for 2024 is not required to be submitted until 31 March 2025, so what do you expect immigration to be asking for in regards 2024 taxable income?

Any ideas on when they may ask for tax on any transfers you make from a foreign bank please? It will not be until the end of the year when the total can be determined

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

Tourists bring the majority of their money into Thailand via ATM withdrawals from their home countries. ATM withdrawals will always be untraceable in Thailand.  I don't expect this tax to be much of a problem for most expats unless they wish to buy hard assets. We renters have little to worry about :smile:

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 12:27 PM, homeseeker said:

or about TM 30 or anything else which is new as opposed to before the new year.

If you've previously filed a TM30 and have a receipt stapled in the back of your passport, you're OK.
If you haven't already filed a TM30, then you need to.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If you've previously filed a TM30 and have a receipt stapled in the back of your passport, you're OK.
If you haven't already filed a TM30, then you need to.

Why? I have been living in Thailand for almost 20 years and have never filed a TM30.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Why? I have been living in Thailand for almost 20 years and have never filed a TM30.

I've been here about the same and I too have never filed one but my wife got caught 3 years ago and had to pay 400 Baht as a fine.

9 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Tourists bring the majority of their money into Thailand via ATM withdrawals from their home countries. ATM withdrawals will always be untraceable in Thailand.  I don't expect this tax to be much of a problem for most expats unless they wish to buy hard assets. We renters have little to worry about :smile:

Rubbish.

All of it....(except the last sentence).

11 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Sounds different when you ask the Swiss Embassy. 

The rules are still not clear, but it really could happen, that retirees will have to pay taxes from their incomes. 35%, also not sure yet. 

Sounds more to me like those clueless idiots at the Swiss Embassy are blissfully unaware of the existence of a double taxation treaty between Switzerland and Thailand!

https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/download/nation/switzerland_e.pdf

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Tell that to Immigration, you may be surprised.

I don't tell immigration any more then is requested. If they don't ask, I ain't telling. 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Surasak said:

I was in the same situation but, at least in the Jomtien Immigration Office, you won't get a Residence Certificate nowadays without having done a valid TM30. (Exactly what constitutes 'valid' is a matter of debate, and individual interpretation by the IO's, it seems.) You need a Residence Certificate, of course, to buy a car or motorbike, but also to renew your driving licence, unless you have a yellow book or some other proof of address that will satisfy the DLT. Other Immigration Offices may be more relaxed about the TM30 than Jomtien is, perhaps you're lucky in that respect.

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

I was in the same situation but, at least in the Jomtien Immigration Office, you won't get a Residence Certificate nowadays without having done a valid TM30. (Exactly what constitutes 'valid' is a matter of debate, and individual interpretation by the IO's, it seems.) You need a Residence Certificate, of course, to buy a car or motorbike, but also to renew your driving licence, unless you have a yellow book or some other proof of address that will satisfy the DLT. Other Immigration Offices may be more relaxed about the TM30 than Jomtien is, perhaps you're lucky in that respect.

Perhaps its that I have a Yellow Book and have for many years? It can't be that the rules don't apply to me however, I have never been asked for one and I am not going to tempt fate and ask why not.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, Surasak said:

2 hours ago, sometime said:

been here since 2005 also no TM30

You'll have to excuse me for being sceptical, having heard that a thousand times, only later to find they had a TM30 already on file.

Just last week we were out with a group of friends, one of whom had just returned from the UK and the topic arose of whether he needed to file a TM30 as he'd never previously filed one and his extension renewal is due next month. Another in the group also claimed he'd never filed a TM30, but on producing his passport, there was the TM30 receipt stapled in the back!
He has absolutely no recollection of it.

The other concerned friend decided to bite the bullet and file a TM30 the following day to avoid any issues with his forthcoming extension.
He came back tail between legs and apologising, when Immigration told him he already had a TM30, filed 6 years ago (when they moved into a new home), signed by ........ his wife!

• Love It 1

On 1/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, Surasak said:

Really clever to brag about it on an open forum.

Why not tell which other laws you have broken.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Really clever to brag about it on an open forum.

Why not tell which other laws you have broken.

I visit Immigration on the required dates for extensions and 90 day reports. I hand over the required papers each time. If a TM 30 was required on these occasions, is not up to the IO to make it known to me that a TM30 is required? Also, the papers for ones reason for reporting are checked by an IO on entry to ensure all is correct. I also know this person makes it known to the world if anything is not correct. So, as you seem to be all knowing, you tell me which law I am breaking. Otherwise......

10 hours ago, Surasak said:

So, as you seem to be all knowing, you tell me which law I am breaking.

Section 38 of the Immigration Act.

10 hours ago, Surasak said:

I visit Immigration on the required dates for extensions and 90 day reports. I hand over the required papers each time. If a TM 30 was required on these occasions, is not up to the IO to make it known to me that a TM30 is required?

That's because you've probably already got a TM30 on file.

11 hours ago, Surasak said:

Also, the papers for ones reason for reporting are checked by an IO on entry to ensure all is correct.

What papers, what reporting? Am I missing something, I just present my passport on entry.

19 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Section 38 of the Immigration Act.

That's because you've probably already got a TM30 on file.

That is you making an assumption, which is incorrect.

What papers, what reporting? Am I missing something, I just present my passport on entry.

How about a TM47 for an extension or a TM7 for 90 day? Or is your Immigration office not applying the rules? 

On 1/3/2024 at 12:27 PM, homeseeker said:

I will be going to renew my retirement visa at CW (Bangkok) sometime this month. Anyone who has on or from 3 January onwards did such a renewal would you kindly confirm if anything said about future tax( eg tax return) or about TM 30 or anything else which is new as opposed to before the new year.

Thank you very much!

I've just renewed my visa extension due to retirement at CW. There was no mention of tax returns, because that's the Revenue Deparment's responsibility, not theirs.

I made an online appointment for 1030am - the place was packed, not a chair to sit on when I got upstairs after doing the photo/bank letter/bank book update/photocopying stuff. My online number was in the 1100s, the queue's numbers were in the 3000s, which was a little confusing so I asked an official who said, courteously, that the online numbers were just slotted in so not to worry, just to wait.

At around 1045 my number was called to Desk 35. There was a trainee as well as the usual officer.  I handed over :-
Completed Form TM7 with photo
Passport
Copies of the passport including all visas, extensions, entry stamps (I renewed the passport last June)
Bank book
Bank letter

Copies of the bank book pages since last extension
Copy of latest 90 day report
A printed Google map with my home marked on it 

I signed everything in front of her, plus the extra forms (guarantor, acknowledgment of penalties, etc) and paid the 1900 baht.

It really was busy - I've never seen so many different nationalities in the L section - and it took nearly an hour to return my passport. Perhaps showing the trainee the ropes was slowing things down? Anyway, by the time I had had a copy made of the new stamp in order to apply for a multiple re-entry permit  - and done some scanning and copying for other essential but non-visa purposes -  it was lunch break time and too late to get a ticket for C2.

After the lunch break,  it took a little over 30 minutes from entering the C2 area to having my passport returned with the re-entry permit added. 

To return to the topic of tax, I've just calculated potential tax liability for the calendar year 2023. I brought just under 1 million baht into Thailand ( in addition to the THB800,000 needed for a retirement extension, which was provably from capital). I shall be seeking advice from a Thai accountant,  but my guesstimate after spending a few hours on the Revenue Department website and the helpful guide posted elsewhere in these forums, is that it'll be around THB25000 - just over 2.5% on the entire remittance.  Not a lot to pay for peace of mind and a clean report sheet..

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

I handed over :-
Completed Form TM7 with photo
Passport
Copies of the passport including all visas, extensions, entry stamps (I renewed the passport last June)
Bank book
Bank letter

Copies of the bank book pages since last extension
Copy of latest 90 day report
A printed Google map with my home marked on it 

Thanks for detailed report.

So you didn't provide TM30?

Bank book pages were accepted without bank statements? 

Google map accepted without hand drawn map?

No lease?