Starbucks steams up with price hike, now costlier than Thailand’s minimum wage

webfact

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Thais go there for wannabee highso photo ops for FB, IG and Tik tok.

Starbucks has international appeal, of course. In Pattaya, where you live, a wide variety of nationalities are usually in there.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

Wow. Here we go.

Amazon coffee is total junk. Real garbage. Their other non coffee products are made with low quality stuff that would be banned in any civilized country. 

I trust starbucks more than Amazon and to compare it is just hilarious.

Trust? What has trust got to do with it? What are you scared of? Catching a dose from a cup of coffee. That's hilarious.

I've no issues with Starbucks other than the ridiculously high price. My point is that it doesn't taste superior and doesn't warrant the price.

Starbucks sells coffee as a guest in a country where they offer nothing to the everyday native.

Amazon is popular throughout Thailand whether, you, me or John Doe likes it or not. They cater for the country as a whole. Starbucks offers FA other than to those that can either afford over-inflated prices or are stupid enough to pay them.

To say it's total junk is hilarious no? Go check their popularity and success. They've nailed the market here. You'll have to lump it.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not about can't afford, more about value for money!

Which falls into my "don't want to" category. But the market usually disagrees, as company analysts had projected, so an ANF Economist's doom prediction is an excellent reverse indicator. If our Economists but knew, they could invest in the company's shares and make enough to enjoy the products themselves. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, freeworld said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.  Unless the article is referring to just one particularly expensive coffee option on their Thai menu.  Plenty of coffee options for much less than B300+.

That still a huge % of many Thai daily wage.

That's not the point.  The article claims that "a cup of coffee" costs more than the minimum wage, i.e. more than B300...it doesn't.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

An excellent explanation about how greedy corporate businesses raise their prices, not because the cost has increased, but only to create more and more profits.

So what?  There's no other reason for any companies to be in business other than to make a profit.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, retarius said:

Good god man, flavoured coffee. Ugh. Hazelnut, caramel, chocolate or whatever other crap they dump in the stuff is vile. Coffee is supposed to be bitter, not sickly sweet. 

"Coffee is supposed to be bitter....

Good god, man, says who?  Regardless, that's why they also sell unadulterated coffee for the connoisseurs like you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many Thais go to that place because they like good coffee and how many go there to walk out with something with a starbucks logo on it.

Like: Look, here, I can afford to go there.

I guess for those kind of people higher prices are better. Look, I can still afford it - at least until my credit card is maxed out. 

I wonder how many foreigners go to that place because they like good coffee and how many go there to walk out with something with a starbucks logo on it.

Like: Look, here, I can afford to go there.

I guess for those kind of people higher prices are better. Look, I can still afford it - at least until my credit card is maxed out. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's actually not about the coffee is it? It's about their legally required HR policies. Their policiy is to employ migrants and that drives the right wing nuts but they keep mum on the meatworks employing illegals. If you bothered to check Starbucks also has a strong record of employing vets.

That is not Starbucks Thailand's policy.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

To say it's total junk is hilarious no? Go check their popularity and success. They've nailed the market here. You'll have to lump it.

Bud, my wife was a franchise coordinator for 7/11. The only reason they nailed the market is because they were begging CP to help them with their business model. They hired a lot of 7/11 staff who helped them with their research. What this has to do with their god awful coffee? They also treat their franchise owners like dirt.

You say starbucks is a guest here that offers nothing to the natives..... yet here they are with every single of their coffee shops packed with Thais. They do offer something obviously....comfortable chairs and tables where people can work and relax at some of the most prime real estate in Thailand. I sure prefer to sit there instead of god awful Amazon chairs that are only a step above the blue chair  local market offerings.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:
25 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Have you ever bought anything from Starbucks?

Personally, not since 2006 when I first (and last) tried Starbucks in Pattaya.

I was asking retarius in connection with his "taste buds and stupid" comment.

Well, retarius, have you?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There is no better coffee in Pattaya. People don't pay that much for crap.

People buy Mercs all the time, even when the Koreans are making technically superior, cheaper cars. It's about the cachet.

I feel sorry for Pattaya if that's the best you have. We have plenty of good coffee shops in Chiang Rai.

I think there is only one Starbucks in Chiang Rai, at Central.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

People buy Mercs all the time, even when the Koreans are making technically superior, cheaper cars. It's about the cachet.

I feel sorry for Pattaya if that's the best you have. We have plenty of good coffee shops in Chiang Rai.

You get what you pay for works for everything except coffee?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

There is no better coffee in Pattaya. People don't pay that much for crap.

People buy Mercs all the time, even when the Koreans are making technically superior ... cars.

As with coffee, isn't that a purely subjective opinion?

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You get what you pay for works for everything except coffee?

One coffee at Starbucks was sufficient to convince me it was so weak, it should have been placed on life support.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

Starbucks sells coffee as a guest in a country where they offer nothing to the everyday native.

Thai Bev is a resident company and likely does little for the 'everyday native'. That said how about a smile when you pony up to that trough and suck down a latte ... Chang .... Mekhong ... Archa. :biggrin:  Remember you are in the Land Of Smiles.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That said, the new price rise will incentivise me to reduce my coffee consumption. It's getting too expensive. There is a reason it's a mega company though.

Yep, it's through tax avoidance, and getting in on the Globalists "woke" agenda bandwagon. Howard Schultz is a big player in the World Economic Forum abomination.

I couldn't give a <deleted> about their coffee.

https://www.callaccountant.co.uk/blog/how-did-starbucks-manage-with-paying-zero-uk-corporation-tax-to-hmrc/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tomgara/go-back-to-davos

• Haha 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

As with coffee, isn't that a purely subjective opinion?

There are opinions, and there are facts.

A Kia Stinger turbo has about 30% more turbo boost pressure than the comparative Mercedes 200 SLK.

Anyone who has driven a Hyundai Kona N in N mode ( racetrack ) knows it sh!ts all over a Mercedes SUV in terms of performance, for about USD 15 k less.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Bud, my wife was a franchise coordinator for 7/11. The only reason they nailed the market is because they were begging CP to help them with their business model. They hired a lot of 7/11 staff who helped them with their research. What this has to do with their god awful coffee? They also treat their franchise owners like dirt.

You say starbucks is a guest here that offers nothing to the natives..... yet here they are with every single of their coffee shops packed with Thais. They do offer something obviously....comfortable chairs and tables where people can work and relax at some of the most prime real estate in Thailand. I sure prefer to sit there instead of god awful Amazon chairs that are only a step above the blue chair  local market offerings.

Agreed on the comfort part. Amazon isn't comfortable but I imagine it's because they don't want people buying a cup and sitting around for hours, which is common here.

However they got where they are today they done it right. I used to hate Amazon but I enjoy it now so they've upped their game somewhere. That's good business no?

Starbucks are packed out with only those that can or want to spend such prices. The prices don't reflect the average Thai wages. They don't reflect superior coffee tastes. Who walks around with a coffee brand on their bags? Those that often go to Starbucks. Showoffs. They only pop up in affluent areas. 

I've had terrible coffee all over Thailand. Amazon might not be to everyone's taste but it's not Good awful.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Korean cars may be cheaper but the forerunner of technical innovations has been Mercedes Benz for many years (I think they invented as well ABS, but not sure). Benz is regarded as one of the best cars worldwide, at least for the higher spec Benz's. The lower specs which are mostly found in Thailand are not living up to the name.

Starbucks is a catastrophe. US originated. I more and more do not understand American things. They make the best smoked ribs in the world but after that a large vacuum unfolds as discussions here on AN and in the news show.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, moogradod said:

Korean cars may be cheaper but the forerunner of technical innovations has been Mercedes Benz for many years (I think they invented as well ABS, but not sure). Benz is regarded as one of the best cars worldwide, at least for the higher spec Benz's. The lower specs which are mostly found in Thailand are not living up to the name.

Starbucks is a catastrophe. US originated. I more and more do not understand American things. They make the best smoked ribs in the world but after that a large vacuum unfolds as discussions here on AN and in the news show.

Mercedes has to rely on cachet, because any innovation they come up with can be replicated by other carmakers in 6-12 months, and sometimes improved.

I don't know about here, but in Australia they have a terrible reputation for bending over customers and dealers alike.

I'd agree their topline models are good cars. However, I have never been interested in cars that cost more than a condo or small house.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?  There's no other reason for any companies to be in business other than to make a profit.

Everybody needs access to an affordable cup of coffee in all coffee shops, its a basic human right.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

We went in Amazon this morning I think the coffee is as good as anywhere, but their seating leaves a lot to be desired, maybe it's they dont want you sitting there too long, people camp out in Starbucks, I know my wife takes her laptop and does her accounts, 

• Like 1