Thailand Sums Up In Total 284 Deaths in New Year Seven Days of Road Safety Campaign

webfact

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I saw a docu-drama about Winston Churchill, and he took rides on the London Underground to speak with passengers about the service.

He did used to go into the street from time to time to get opinions but that scene in The Darkest Hour is fiction. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

He did used to go into the street from time to time to get opinions but that scene in The Darkest Hour is fiction. 

I've read more than one account of him doing it, but I, and you, have no way of knowing if it's true or not.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm not sure Thailand will make it No 1 in ranking? But they are on a good route to achieve the goal.🥴

They would be #1, if they included those that died, due to road accidents, instead of only counting those that died at the scene, before being put into an ambulance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

And so this carnage continues with not a care from the cops or Ministers- who are cocooned in their cars with motorbike outriders. Take a mini bus Minister and see the real way millions have to endure with freaked out drivers. 

Is it really that difficult for the BIB to actually patrol the roads and issue tickets?

O, sorry TIT and it is. 

Yes, and become like other Western countries with their enforced rules. Other than the families of those that have been killed, who really cares? Serious question. Rising cost of insurance rates? Check out car insurance rates in Canada. Some places more than the car itself.

Do you see 284 people dying in Canada during same time period? No. 

I see people here in Thailand driving thru 50km school zones doing over 100km. Try driving thru a playground zone in Canada at 33km/h and they impound your car! Not really but seems like it.

I enjoy riding my bike without a helmet. My choice. No seat belt sometimes on a quick trip to 7. Not a problem. Cranking it up to 180km on some straight stretches, ok.

Some freedoms come at a cost. 284 deaths is a minor cost. In my opinion.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

I wonder how many of these crashes were caused by the idiotic police setting up check points in the middle of the highway? Causing traffic doing 100Kmh to suddenly come across stationary traffic! If those buffoons had brains they'd be dangerous 🥴

If you are going to fast to safely stop it is not the police or stationary object fault it is the driver not having care and control.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, rct99q said:

Yes, and become like other Western countries with their enforced rules. Other than the families of those that have been killed, who really cares? Serious question. Rising cost of insurance rates? Check out car insurance rates in Canada. Some places more than the car itself.

I see people here in Thailand driving thru 50km school zones doing over 100km. Try driving thru a playground zone in Canada at 33km/h and they impound your car! Not really but seems like it.

I enjoy riding my bike without a helmet. My choice. No seat belt sometimes on a quick trip to 7. Not a problem. Cranking it up to 180km on some straight stretches, ok.

I guess rct that by Thailand driving standards we ate brilliant pilots!

We are not the problem. Its the untrained, unlicensed,  drunk drugged drivers all over Thailand. 

The freedom yiu enjoy driving/riding is cool because yiu will be careful.

BTY I rode across Canada 3 times...magic. BC to New/Lab 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

They would be #1, if they included those that died, due to road accidents, instead of only counting those that died at the scene, before being put into an ambulance.

This comment has been broadcast repeatedly by many over the last two decades. 

When driving licenses are earned through proper efficiency tested on public roads, not via a Test Center system and generous donations we may see an improvement in safety and courtesy on the roads.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand – The Thai Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) reported on Friday (January 5th), a total of 284 deaths, 2,307 injuries, and 2,288 road accidents in seven days (December 29th, 2023 – January 4th, 2024) of the New Year Seven Days Road Safety campaign in Thailand.

The highest total number in seven days (December 29th, 2023 – January 4th, 2024) of road accidents and injuries was in Kanchanaburi (82 times, 89 injuries). The highest fatalities were in Bangkok (19 deaths).

image.jpeg

The DDPM reported on the seventh day of the campaign (January 4th) that there were 17 deaths and 205 injuries in 200 road accidents.

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-01-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Thailand should be absolutely shamed of itself and its government lack of interest. 
Just compare statistics of total,EU deaths per year compared to Only Thailand. There are less deaths in the whole of EU than in Thailand in one year !!( under 21000 in EU countries ).

in the UK, where no one can claim it’s a country of non drinkers, in the previous 3/4 years road deaths average 1600.

Government , get off your lazy backsides an d finally put an end to this daily carnage on your roads. Re create your traffic Police methods, Absolutely no more cash payments for fines , on roadside or not. Get working traffic lights and cameras, put the police back on the roads. 
Thailand is a total disaster, and while many foreigners gladly drive in most countries without fearing of death , driving on a simple highway in Thailand  is a nightmare. 
Thai families left devastated and penniless after these thousands of yearly accidents , Government, this is all your fault, the total disinterest in your own people, and the tragedy they go through because of your negligence! Lack of education, then teach them. 

Not forgetting , if it interests you PM Srettha Thavisin, the world has been watching this for a long time. Do something to get their trust back. 

• Haha 1

Why isn't the Ministry of Transport responsible for these figures? Not some quasi almost non Governmental department (a neo quango) that seem to be all the rage here. Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation? The Minister of Transport, Suriya Juangroongruangkit, is Thanatorn's uncle. He's been in politics since the Stone Age. What's the plan, uncle Juan?

https://th.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/กรมป้องกันและบรรเทาสาธารณภัย

A totally nebulous department with no proper outline of it's functions and responsibilities, like so many Thai government departments. Much better suited to the task would be the Office of the National Accident Prevention Commission, but that seems to have been shut down. No links in Wikipedia. But just what is the much vaunted "Office of the Prime Minister". This Byzantine office probably has thousands on its books, but what do they all do?

https://th.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/สำนักงานปลัดสำนักนายกรัฐมนตรี

Edited by bradiston

8 hours ago, rct99q said:

Rubbish post - you are not even beginning to understand how road safety works - you are not offering any verifyable evidence to support you purely subjective  claims - I suspect you don't even begin to realise how facile they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

That's a lot of druggies, glue sniffers and alcoholics.

That's wishing. I'd have no issue with that. Reality is, the scum that cause the carnage escape, innocent lives get lost in their selfish stupor. 

Absolute selfishness.

I was in a restaurant today and Thai news showed a truck ploughing into a pickup at full speed. They watch it day in day out. This lot know what speeding, drinking and recklessness causes yet don't stop.

No hope for them, no matter what the ministry says.

I'm getting to the stage where I can understand why the OB do nothing. How can you change the mindset of such stupid, selfish holes?

8 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

If you are going to fast to safely stop it is not the police or stationary object fault it is the driver not having care and control.

Not a great consolation when having stopped safely, 40 tons of sugarcane plows into the rear end of you.   

8 hours ago, rct99q said:

I'll go with that ,   Drive careful, keep your distance , keep your eyes open , expect the unexpected.   No point in whining about it on here,

The Thais don't care, simple as that,  if its too dangerous sell the car,  There really is no other option, and little will change in our life time.

Everybody has their own "theory" - just because they drive, they think they are an "expert" (i hate that word) on road safety -  unfortunately they don't add up - they are at best hypotheses but they don't know how to use evidence to back up the idea that presumably came to them either in the toilet or during a drinking session in a bar.

Too fast

No police

Drunk 

THere is NO SINGLE cause for Thailand's deplorable road safety record and these lay-people who think they have the right answer are totally barking up the wrong tree.

Edited by kwilco