New Zealand Tourist Being Interviewed Following Death of Thai Girlfriend in Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

A New Zealand tourist is under investigation following the death of his Thai girlfriend in Phuket on Saturday, January 6th.

According to reports, 40-year-old Mr. Hamish, was seen by witnesses verbally arguing with his 33-year-old Thai girlfriend, Ms. Chatchaya, near the rooftop swimming pool of their hotel in Patong on Saturday afternoon. The name of the hotel was withheld by police as part of the investigation.

Witnesses said they then saw Mr. Hamish carrying Ms. Chatchaya from the rooftop before asking for hotel staff to call an ambulance. Both full names of the two have been withheld pending an ongoing investigation. It was unclear exactly what was wrong at that time with Chatchaya.

Ms. Chatchaya was unconscious while being carried by Mr. Hamish who was from New Zealand. The hotel staff contacted the Kusontham Foundation, a local emergency medical service, who rushed Ms. Chatchaya to Patong Hospital. Sadly, she was pronounced dead around 2:00 PM, just 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital.

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-01-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 3
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

For Thai police,, hé is a farang so foul play  must be in order.other way around, never!

I hope for him she drowned.. and cctv helped him..

Sorry for asking, but why would you hope she had drowned when the article clearly states she died 30 minutes after arriving to the hospital? 

Clearly drowning is impossible unless they smothered her head in water while at the hospital. 

Perhaps this is just a case of being hit in the head and having getting blood in the brain. Since obviously the foreigner carried her downstairs while she was alive still and perhaps still awake. 

I would agree with you that automatic suspicious falls more quickly to the foreigner doing foul play though. Seems to happen a lot in Thailand.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, thesetat said:

Sorry for asking, but why would you hope she had drowned when the article clearly states she died 30 minutes after arriving to the hospital? 

Clearly drowning is impossible unless they smothered her head in water while at the hospital. 

Perhaps this is just a case of being hit in the head and having getting blood in the brain. Since obviously the foreigner carried her downstairs while she was alive still and perhaps still awake. 

I would agree with you that automatic suspicious falls more quickly to the foreigner doing foul play though. Seems to happen a lot in Thailand.

Ever hear of secondary drowning?

11 minutes ago, Big Bert said:

Ever hear of secondary drowning?

Never heard of that, but as i think about what happened there is one thing i forgot that could make her drowning while in the hospital.. Perhaps the hospital did not check lungs for water. The hospitals are not known for their excellent thinking and care. So I guess it is possible she died with fluid in her lungs and the hospital is saving face by not disclosing this. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Some further info from Khaosod - appears that Hamish wasn't overly concerned:

According to the preliminary inquiry, Ms. Chatchaya had a quarrel with Mr. Hamish, her 40-year-old New Zealand boyfriend, at the pool around 1:40 p.m. on January 6.

Following that, this man carried Ms. Chatchaya, who was unconscious, downstairs and asked the hotel staff to call an ambulance. 

Mr. Hamish went back up to have a shower and returned to notify the hotel personnel that he would visit his girlfriend at Patong Hospital to check on her condition.

That time was almost half an hour after the incident occurred.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

"Mr. Hamish, was seen by witnesses verbally arguing with his 33-year-old Thai girlfriend"

I'm not really sure how else you are going to argue with someone!

Sign language

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

Do you base that assertion on anything rational or empirical?

• Haha 1

For many of those farangs who've had Thai girlfriends would know that its not difficult to have a verbal confrontation with a Thai lady, for many reasons including the fact that Thai's often have very short fuses! Of course him being a Farang and her being Thai the police will assume there is some guilt regardless, its called racism & guilty until proved innocent. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, thesetat said:

Time of being pronounced dead, and actual time of death, can be two different things.

5 hours ago, thesetat said:

2 points. 1 you can die after resuscitation hours later. 2 being pronounced dead is often  after the actual death. Death is pronounced by a doctor.