Spaniard arrested for stealing handbag at Patong nightclub

webfact

image.jpeg

A Spaniard found himself in hot water as he was arrested on the night of January 6, in Patong for allegedly pilfering a handbag from a Mongolian woman at the Illuzion nightclub, a popular hotspot on Bangla Road.

The incident unfolded when Patong Police Station officers were alerted to a theft complaint from a Mongolian woman. The crime was reported to have taken place at the Illuzion nightclub on Bangla Road. The exact time of the event, however, was not specified.

The Illuzion nightclub is currently under heightened scrutiny as it is part of a pilot scheme which permits entertainment venues to stay open until the early hours of 4am. The club has also been utilised for various safety and security training exercises and inspections, an effort to highlight Patong’s readiness to tackle undesirable incidents.

The stolen items from the woman’s bag included a purple iPhone, a key to her hotel room, and roughly 10,000 baht (US$288) in cash. The bag was reportedly left unattended on a sofa by the woman at the time of the theft, reported Phuket News.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Patong Police

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, webfact said:

The stolen items from the woman’s bag included a purple iPhone, a key to her hotel room, and roughly 10,000 baht (US$288) in cash. The bag was reportedly left unattended on a sofa by the woman at the time of the theft, reported Phuket News.

More money than sense!

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Amazing how some people think that B10k is a lot of money so much so that it constitutes having more money than sense! 

Less sense than money THB 10k, even a possibly USD 1500 buck iphone to nothing to worry about but the hassle of losing your mobile, room key and chance of further losses due identity theft and bank fraud?

Would you leave your wallet, mobile and house/car key on a settee in a nightclub infested with foreigners who were let into Thailand without home country  criminal checks? 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Would you leave your wallet, mobile and house/car key on a settee in a nightclub infested with foreigners who were let into Thailand without home country  criminal checks? 

Of course, not, but that wasn't my point.  B10k being "more money than sense" was.

Are there any countries that do their own home country criminal histories check on tourists before allowing them in?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, not, but that wasn't my point.  B10k being "more money than sense" was.

Are there any countries that do check tourists' home country criminal histories before allowing them in?

Canada. Americans with DUI convictions are inadmissable.

America. Japan shares info with ICE so people on the Yakuza list get knocked back

Security expectations in Mongolia might be pretty high especially in a club with guards and cameras. I myself got soft and when I locked out of Thailand at the start of covid I left a cracked screen iPhone ( no SIM card and good for wifi surfing only)on the bar in Vegas and it was snagged in a few minutes.  Group of thuggish looking youths about I decided to just let it go.

Dont want to blame the victim too hard really this shameless Spain-yard deserves a good fine, a fun time in Thai jail then deportation as persona not grata, forever

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:
33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are there any countries that do check tourists' home country criminal histories before allowing them in?

Canada. Americans with DUI convictions are inadmissable.

America. Japan shares info with ICE so people on the Yakuza list get knocked back

Are you saying that Canadian and USA authorities do home country criminal history checks on tourists that your comment seemed to suggest Thailand should do for tourists?  That's what I asked about.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Are you saying that Canadian and USA authorities do home country criminal history checks on tourists that your comment seemed to suggest Thailand should do for tourists?  That's what I asked about.

I think Canada and US reciprocal access to respective criminal data bases. One can see this on those border control TV programs.

https://allcleared.com/blog/criminal-record-sharing-between-canada-and-the-united-states/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Could have happened in a nightclub "infested" with Thais, or Mongolians too.

45 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don’t believe Thailand should allow us Americans in at all without visas and criminal checks. Especially unaccompanied males. Maybe under 16 and over 70 on group tours. 

I don’t comment on other countries such as UK. 30 percent plus of us Americans are dangerous lowlifes/convicted criminals who are very  likely to re-offend in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Amazing how some people think that B10k is a lot of money so much so that it constitutes having more money than sense! 

I've got 200bht in my wallet, everything else I scan.

I'm part of the modern cash free society that all our governments want.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I don’t believe Thailand should allow us Americans in at all without visas and criminal checks. Especially unaccompanied males. Maybe under 16 and over 70 on group tours. 

I don’t comment on other countries such as UK. 30 percent plus of us Americans are dangerous lowlifes/convicted criminals who are very  likely to re-offend in Thailand. 

And many with PTS i.e. mental health problems.  

I find the last paragraph of linked article interesting...

During the arrest, the police retrieved an iPhone 14 Pro, described as purple, among eight other pieces of evidence. Interestingly, among the nine pieces of evidence gathered, the reported 10,000 baht in cash and the hotel key were not listed.

I don't want to speculate what happened with them...

Mostly I read news like this involves Europeans of various nations.

And yet, there is so much India bashing on this website! Some poor sod loses his gold chain to a tranny in Patts and then one reads all sorts of negative comments. 

• Like 1