How many times can you enter on visa exemption by air ?

My partner has an O visa with our child in education. However, with Thai logic the other parent (usually father) isn't allowed an O visa to stay. Regardless, i have working commitments in London and travel back and forth regularly. 

However, i becoming increasingly concerned by the volume of times i arriving on visa exemption. I never exceed staying here 30 days. Infact i am sometimes only here for a few weeks, before heading back to London for 3 weeks. 

My question is - is there a limit to the volume of times you can enter on visa exemption ? We have a family wedding coming up in Singapore, and will be returning within a few days, thus am becoming concerned i will get another visa exemption stamp on my passport - and they are really topping up !

According to the Thai consulate 

" Entering the Kingdom through air land/sea/air border checkpoints under Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme is permitted only twice in a calendar year, except nationals of Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, and Singapore who may enter Thailand through such checkpoints more than twice in a calendar year.

https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-exemption-and-visa-on-arrival-to-thailand

I have no personal experience in the matter as I have multiple re-entries  from my extension to stay . 

There is no stated limit to visa exempt entry via air.

There is a stated limit of two visa exempt entries via land/sea per calendar year.

OP, your frequent entries using visa exempt should not be an issue due to length of stay and time spent out of Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the first 96 were visa exempt over a 34 year period but 45 of them were in only a 3 year period. Only once did I have an IO comment about the number and frequency. Explained that I lived/worked in Singapore and my Thai wife lived/worked in Bangkok. Said she had no trouble visiting Singapore 12+ times a year as well. It was a quick and neutral discussion.

From the royal Thai Embassy London

"Nationals of the United Kingdom and over 40 other countries are eligible to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and are permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 30 days. Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 20,000 Baht (450 pounds) per person or 40,000 Baht (900 pounds) per family. Otherwise, you maybe inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." - this makes no mention of entry by air or land anyomre

Edited by kwilco

8 hours ago, BoganInParasite said:

Well the first 96 were visa exempt over a 34 year period but 45 of them were in only a 3 year period. Only once did I have an IO comment about the number and frequency. Explained that I lived/worked in Singapore and my Thai wife lived/worked in Bangkok. Said she had no trouble visiting Singapore 12+ times a year as well. It was a quick and neutral discussion.

the final decision on entry is down to the immigration office in front of you.

On 1/9/2024 at 12:46 PM, Aviatorhi said:

Been living here visa exempt month on month off for 14 years. It's a non issue. Lately it gets a chuckle and a มีความสุข from the officers.

mmmmm either this isn't true or ywe are missing something - what passport are you using? Are you entering by land?

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Furthermore, foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." -

Consulates often have incorrect information.

This is one example. 

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

mmmmm either this isn't true or ywe are missing something - what passport are you using? Are you entering by land?

No. He most likely oil/gas worker.

Only spending total 6 months in Thailand and month between visits.

It's continuous stays back to back that causes issues.

10 minutes ago, kwilco said:

the final decision on entry is down to the immigration office in front of you.

Well that's stating the obvious. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Well that's stating the obvious. 

I'd say it's quite the opposite as any rules you see written down can be totally if=gnored by any immigration official - I don;t think that's ""obvious" is it?

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

OK - which embassy has the right information?

Thai embassies and consulates have a poor track record of providing correct information on immigration matters. If you're lucky, the information they provide about their own services (such as visa requirements) is correct and up to date.

A better source for information about immigration matters is - immigration! But as there's no official limit for visa exempt entries by air, you won't get a definitive answer from them either.