Israel shows ‘chilling’ intent to commit genocide in Gaza, South Africa tells UN court

CharlieH

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

The legal expert is a long standing Israel hater, Zionist hater and borderline antisemite. Considering he's been advising the Palestinians on many past occasions, I'm not sure why someone would expect him to say otherwise. So far, I don't see how his advice benefited them, but maybe this time...

So you say but a good enough guest to be interviewed by the redoubtable Andrew Marr who will along with his team have done appropriate due diligence before inviting him onto the programme.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

So you say but a good enough guest to be interviewed by the redoubtable Andrew Marr who will along with his team have done appropriate due diligence before inviting him onto the programme.

And? He's also interviewed Jeremy Corbyn.....lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

It's not 'so I say', you can look up his many comments, biography, writing and views.

As for being on Marr's show, what does it have to do with anything? Corbyn was on it as well.

Being anti-Israel, anti-Zionist does not bar people from being interviewed.

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

I quoted a Guardian opinion from the piece. I also provided a link to my quote. 

You are welcome

Incorrect. The comment is a direct quote from the RSA lawyer: From the OP....

Her colleague Tembeka Ngcukaitobi said there had been “reiteration and repetition of genocidal speech throughout every sphere of state in Israel” such that “the evidence of genocidal intent is not only chilling, it is also overwhelming and incontrovertible”.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Incorrect. The comment is a direct quote from the RSA lawyer: From the OP....

Her colleague Tembeka Ngcukaitobi said there had been “reiteration and repetition of genocidal speech throughout every sphere of state in Israel” such that “the evidence of genocidal intent is not only chilling, it is also overwhelming and incontrovertible”.

Correct, however does not distract from the link supplied with evidence of its bias

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Correct, however does not distract from the link supplied with evidence of its bias

That's new! Factual reporting equates to bias - LOL

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Only if you ignore what I wrote. You can still present facts and be bias. Media does it all the time. Do I really need to explain how that is done?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

It possible to report the facts, and still do so in a biased manner. It's all about presentation, and which facts are included.

Here's a similar comment from earlier in this conflict:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1314367-the-children-of-gaza-more-than-7000-killed/#comment-18553795

The Guardian's general stance on things Israel is nothing new.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Morch said:

It possible to report the facts, and still do so in a biased manner. It's all about presentation, and which facts are included.

Here's a similar comment from earlier in this conflict:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1314367-the-children-of-gaza-more-than-7000-killed/#comment-18553795

The Guardian's general stance on things Israel is nothing new.

The Guardian is quoting from Court proceedings presumedly highlighting to attract interest in the proceedings. We know the Court has no power to enforce findings: in reality some postering by RSA. However, IMO, some people should be somewhat cautious on critic of RSA given Israel offered strategic weapons to SA during the apartheid regime; not a black and white situation regards morality. Generally the Guardian is highly regarded and has won a number of awards for it's reporting and investigations. I responded to the other member as personally I am bored with right wing misrepresentation of facts on this forum.

Now how about returning to topic...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

The Guardian is quoting from Court proceedings presumedly highlighting to attract interest in the proceedings. We know the Court has no power to enforce findings: in reality some postering by RSA. However, IMO, some people should be somewhat cautious on critic of RSA given Israel offered strategic weapons to SA during the apartheid regime; not a black and white situation regards morality. Generally the Guardian is highly regarded and has won a number of awards for it's reporting and investigations. I responded to the other member as personally I am bored with right wing misrepresentation of facts on this forum.

Assuming I am giving a right wing misrepresentation of facts on this forum is a false accusation;

https://camera-uk.org/topic/guardian/

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

The choice of which words are used as headlines, or what is quoted - these may also imply or serve and editorial stance. Different venues cover the same events in different ways. Nothing new. Saying that the Guardian is 'highly regarded' is neither here nor there. I'm not a right-winger and I can still acknowledge the bias. Obviously, you could say the same about Israeli media (never mind Arab or Palestinian sources).

While not entirely on topic, ran into this bit:

South Africa under-19 cricket captain stood down over anti-war protest fears

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/jan/12/south-africa-stand-down-under-19-cricket-captain-david-teeger-anti-war-protest-fears

David Teeger: Axing of South Africa U19 cricket captain sparks antisemitism row

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/67957459

South Africa strips Jewish U19 cricket skipper of captaincy, citing anti-Israel protests

https://www.timesofisrael.com/south-africa-strips-jewish-u19-cricket-skipper-of-captaincy-citing-anti-israel-protests/

Note different sources downplay/highlight different aspects of story.

On a personal note, even after spending some years in India, I still don't get the point of cricket.

• Agree 1

The public hearings on the request for the indication of provisional measures submitted by the Republic of South Africa in the case concerning Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in the Gaza Strip (South Africa v. Israel), which opened on 11 January 2024, concluded on 12 January 2024. The Court will now begin its deliberation.

https://www.icj-cij.org/sites/default/files/case-related/192/192-20240112-pre-01-00-en.pdf

On 1/12/2024 at 3:01 PM, CharlieH said:

“Genocides are never declared in advance but this court has the benefit of the past 13 weeks of evidence that shows incontrovertibly, a pattern of conduct and related intention that justifies a plausible claim of genocidal acts,” the South African lawyer Adila Hassim told the court.

It's not like they were being reticent about their intent. Indeed they seemed proud to say it. All broadcast on Al Jazeera news.

While I doubt the court case will help the Palestinians, given the shameful conduct of western leaders in ignoring the slaughter, it is no longer possible for the gutless western leaders to pretend it's just "self defense" or some such nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:01 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Methinks that one should consider the membership of the UN.

There are 56 Muslim nations - most, if not all, anti Jewish.

There is 1 Jewish nation.

Votes are likely to be a tad biased against the Jews???

There is 1 Jewish nation.

I remember someone on the forum claiming that israel is "only for Jews" isn't true. It's certainly true that many Arabs are also israeli citizens, so which is it? A Jewish nation, or a nation with a majority of Jews?

Methinks that one should consider the reasons for any anti israeli ( note, not anti Jewish- let's get that right ) bias by any nations in the UN. Reasons such as illegal occupation, illegal land theft, oppression and collective punishment against a people based on their ethnicity ( racism ).

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:29 PM, xylophone said:

As I have posted earlier, one solution would be the complete and utter destruction of Gaza and of Hamas, and possibly moving the Palestinians out so that Hamas can no longer infiltrate and work to destroy Israel.

Even Biden disagrees with you.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-gaza-netanyahu-biden-6e9b74682a61f8327727d44df644534b

The United States has laid out a much different vision. Top officials have said they will not allow Israel to reoccupy Gaza or further shrink its already small territory.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not like they were being reticent about their intent. Indeed they seemed proud to say it. All broadcast on Al Jazeera news.

While I doubt the court case will help the Palestinians, given the shameful conduct of western leaders in ignoring the slaughter, it is no longer possible for the gutless western leaders to pretend it's just "self defense" or some such nonsense.

Most of these comments were made by right-wing politicians who are not actually in a position to control the war effort. This was addressed both on this forum and on Israel's reply to the South Africa's complaint. That you should repeat it like it was fact, and without context - is not surprising.

Your issues with the West are well known, to take your words on anything related  as serious is a choice.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:25 AM, Hawaiian said:

It might disappoint you when some impartial entities see that genocide has not happened.

I've read that some cases have taken years to settle.  I really don't know how long it will take and don't care to make a guess, especially since I am not a legal scholar nor an expert on genocide.

Of course the genocide hasn't happened yet. The purpose of SA;'s highly commendable action at ICC is to prevent a genocide. Anyone killing more civilians and women and children than Hamas fighter is pursuing a genocide. In this day and age with targeted munitions there is no reason at all for such civilian casualties. Look at the ratio of civilian to 'enemy' deaths in Gaza versus Ukraine. There are, relatively speaking, very few civilian casualties in Ukraine compared to military deaths. 

Israeli policy of killing hundreds of women and children in a school, hospital or church, if they "think" a some Hamas fighters may be there, is the root cause. And this is not defence, it is attempted genocide.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:06 PM, Morch said:

Methinks that you conflate between words and actual action.

It might become what you say. So far, though? Not so much.

Are votes cast in the UN not actions?  There has been a shift in international opinion that does not favor the US and/or Israel.

https://globalaffairs.org/bluemarble/see-how-32-countries-moved-away-us-and-israel-latest-un-cease-fire-vote

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Are votes cast in the UN not actions?  There has been a shift in international opinion that does not favor the US and/or Israel.

https://globalaffairs.org/bluemarble/see-how-32-countries-moved-away-us-and-israel-latest-un-cease-fire-vote

The title to that article is latest UN ceasefire vote. However its not the latest, the latest is from the UN Security Council, it does not include a ceasefire but does include telling Hmas to release all hostages without pre conditions immediately.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, retarius said:

Of course the genocide hasn't happened yet. The purpose of SA;'s highly commendable action at ICC is to prevent a genocide. Anyone killing more civilians and women and children than Hamas fighter is pursuing a genocide. In this day and age with targeted munitions there is no reason at all for such civilian casualties. Look at the ratio of civilian to 'enemy' deaths in Gaza versus Ukraine. There are, relatively speaking, very few civilian casualties in Ukraine compared to military deaths. 

Israeli policy of killing hundreds of women and children in a school, hospital or church, if they "think" a some Hamas fighters may be there, is the root cause. And this is not defence, it is attempted genocide.  

That would be you framing things to fit you argument. There is no such basic tenet that says more-civilian-than-combatant-casulaties-is-genocide. As opposed to your nonsense claims, most wars in this day and age still see civilian casualties, especially when fighting takes place in densely populated urban settings - again, something you made up. In Ukraine, the territory involved is much much larger, civilians have the options to remove themselves from battle zones - but you knew all that when you posted.

As for you citing Israeli 'policy' - that's again a figment of your imagination, there is no such policy. Israel was not even bombing the Gaza Strip on 6/10.

And got to love the logic - starts with 'of course the genocide hasn't happened yet', and as froth levels rise, ends with 'it is attempted genocide'. Get a grip.

Edited by Morch
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, expat_4_life said:

No, it's just casting votes on the UNGA. Actions would be cutting off relations, sanctions, boycotts and so on.

Since most UNGA votes are declarative, non-binding and do not carry any real censure, they are just way to 'do something' without doing anything much.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Brace yourselves

Application of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide in the Gaza Strip (South Africa v. Israel) Request for the indication of provisional measures The Court to deliver its Order on Friday 26 January 2024 at 1 p.m

https://www.icj-cij.org/sites/default/files/case-related/192/192-20240124-pre-01-00-en.pdf

That is 3 times that you've posted that now , you could get done for spamming 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

That is 3 times that you've posted that now , you could get done for spamming 

Posted in every current thread, as I feel it could be the most important decision made by this court.